FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

GPU, Sapphire Radeon HD4850

Idoru
I just put togeather a computer for the little guy here, with a bit more focus on it's abbility as a gamingcomputer.
Still had to stick to a certain budget, but I think it's a nice machine we built.
Anyhow, the GPU is the 'Sapphire Radeon HD4850'. It's on a Crossfire motherboard (M3A-H/HDMI), so there is
also the internal GPU, 'ATI Radeon HD3200'. They are supposed to be able to work togeather, but I don't know how,
or if it's recommended by you gaming-enthusiasths out threr?

Well, that's of interest, but not my main question. The thing is, that I used CCC to tune it in and overclock it
a bit. Not much, since stabillity also is important. All worked fine, but when I placed the PC where it should be,
and connected sound 'n TV, it went hay-wire. Graphics looped and it 'bluescreened' me. So, away with the TV,
and back to basic settings and drivers. Some 3D apps' still loop, and then there is trouble to restart the PC. Crying or Very sad

Anyone know of this GPU, and have some suggestions about best settings, clocking, TV-connection, etc?
Ah, by the way, the connector out from the GPU is two DVI and one speciale (composite?). The DVI goes in an
adaptor (came with the card) to an analog TFT-screen. The TV goes from the GPU to an RGB, in wich there is an
adaptor for S-Video, and from there to TV.[/code]
Studio Madcrow
Overclocking GPUs can be really hard. If it was working properly and giving good performance at "stock" configuration, you shouldn't have overclocked it, especially since Sapphire is known for sometimes overclocking parts as far as they safely can AT THE FACTORY. Thus boosting the speed any more than they probably have already is a bad idea.
william
You know, I remember the HD 4850s had some problems earlier on, and it usually happened after overclocking. The issue was that the stock fan was not running to it's maximum ability for some reason. I know there's a fix. If I find it, I'll post the link.
Idoru
william wrote:
You know, I remember the HD 4850s had some problems earlier on, and it usually happened after overclocking. The issue was that the stock fan was not running to it's maximum ability for some reason. I know there's a fix. If I find it, I'll post the link.

Ah, typical Sad
Would be great if you found it. Then perhaps it's not a bad idea to change the hardware? Not the GPU, but the
heat-sink and the fan? There are models out there claiming to be better then the original, and I belive it's so.
Bougth a new heat-sink 'n fan to the CPU with VERY good result.

Studio Madcrow wrote:
...If it was working properly and giving good performance at "stock" configuration, you shouldn't have overclocked it, especially

I used the settings in CCC, and according to those values it was safe, but now that didn't matter... Went out and
looked in ATI's forums, discussions about the new drivers, and it turnes out many are excperience the same problem
I did... Strange, though, for it worked a little while at first. Now, some knowledge richer, I have formated the
HDD 5-6 times trying different settings, and finally ended up with the drivers at the CD that came with the
GPU. A few months old, and I think they released three different new ones since then, but I wont try those yet.
Crossfire doesn't work (it did before, but there is obviusly some prob's with the drivers for that) and preformance
with new games isn't as hot as it could be, but at least it's stable now. Laughing

I wrote ATI about this, but hasn't gotten any answer (don't belive I will).
Idoru
I also use a Radeon 2400, in another computer, with latest CCC (8.12), crossfired with the internal GPU.
That hasn't worked to good either, so I tried some different ways to solve it. Finally, I installed Vista Ultimate, x64,
and now it's just fine. Didn't manage heavier applications, so I installed an additional fan (noisy like "#¤%, but
I'll change it as soon as I can afford), and that put the last piece of the puzzle in place. Now I'm upgrading the
other PC aswell, the one with the 4850 in it, and hope for just as good results. That one is placed in an Antec 900-
case, so cooling isn't a problem. Very Happy
ForceRun
Just remember when you talk to tech support don't tell them you overclocked, or a lot of the time they won't help you, and won't give you a RMA if needed.
Idoru
No, that's true. Funny that they insert a feauture for overclocking in the software they realese for the card,
but that 'all bets are of' in case you should decide to go for it... Very Happy
Anyhow, I turned of the OC, since I discovered we didn't need it. All works smoothly now Cool