FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Combine two internet connections on same machine...?

viraj
Hi All...

I am using a Laptop with Win XP installed on it.

I am having a PCMICA Wireless Dialup and a local cable internet connection through WiFi.

I would like to enable both of them and would like to use them simultaneously to combine there speed for my browsing.

Eg. Dialup Speed -- 256Kbps and WiFi -- 96Kbps = 300+Kbps..

How can I do so.. Please advice.

Regards,

Viraj V.
ocalhoun
If this is possible, it would be very difficult to do for a one user setup. Some servers use two network cards for more bandwidth, but they do that because they have so many users.

I think you'd have problems with sessions. If you wanted to use one connection for browsing and the other for downloading, that might work, but I don't think the two could cooperate well enough to use both for the same thing.

I'm also suspecting that if you can get the two to both work on the same thing, they'll have to go the same speed, so 96 + 96 = 192, which is not as fast as your single 256 connection.

If it is possible, you'll surely have to install some kind of specialized software to make it work, just google search for that kind of software and hope for good luck.
riccopt
as far as I am concerned that will not work... your computer will choose one or the other connection... but I may be wrong about this...
toxictux
do some googling on network teaming. i have seen this in microsoft OSs windows 2000and up. there you can combine more than one network adapters to create a failover/load balancing interface(just line bonding in linux world). i have heard from a friend that he has used it to combine two card to get double speed on wired network. i have never tried it personally. but worth a shot.
Bondings
I'm not sure about Windows, but Linux simply lets you connect to several networks.

The problem is that in most setups you will have a different ip address for each internet connection. Also one of the connections will be the default and normally most applications will use that one (for the biggest part at least). Some applications like peer to peer might use both, but even then not completely.

You could also try to route a specific part of the traffic to one network and the rest to the other. But this is rather for really advanced users and might be better suited for servers.
Skye001
if you want to do it in windows all the network adapters having to be of same manufacturer i.e. you cannot team Broadcom to Intel only Intel to Intel.

You could try ip routing in windows but that works by prioritising the traffic flow to which network card, suppose you try to make them the same priority and traffic would pass through both but abit flaky on this topic.

Or you could just improve your connection?
albuferque
As default windows doesn’t allow that, although you can get the two connections up at the same time, only one connection works at any point of time.

Although by default internet connection load balancing is not enabled, it is hidden in the registry. So all you need to do is to add a few registry key to turn this function on. However load balancing does not increase the speed when you are downloading only one file, but the speed increase if you have many people using the internet. Internet café is the good example:

Check this link about how to achieve this:

http://www.geekswhoknow.com/articles/load-balance-two-internet-connections.htm
funky_programmer
Actually, I had the same problem just a few days ago. I have an ADSL connection (up to 1 Mbps) and 3G connection (256 kbps) and I want to combine these two, so that I could get a faster speed.

After searching on the google, I found a software named WooWeb. This software acts as a virtual gateway which would manage your two internet connection and combine them. So, all you have to do is set your default gateway on your LAN interface to the gateway specified in WooWeb.

There are two combine possibilities: load balancing mode and threshold. Load balancing is recommended for two connection that have the same speed. Threshold is used if the connections speed are different. But for me, threshold didn't do much effect in increasing my internet speed, because threshold works by activating the second connection if there are a number of connection requests as specified in the settings.

Why load balancing is not recommended for two connection with different speed? Because for connection with the higher speed, it will underloaded. But for connection with lower speed, it will overloaded. So for connection with higher speed, there will be unused bandwidth.

Hope this helps.
[FuN]goku
I was also wondering if this was possible a while back. Cuz my dad had 2 internet connections, and he used one for wireless, and the other wired, and since they were both on different ISP's i wanted to see if i could max my download.. But i had no success when i tried heh.
o_man
you can connect to more than one, however they will act as independent parties, in my experience. you're sending info down two different pipes, and I don't see how you would "merge" them. others have provided solutions for sending some data down one and other data the other, but they cannot physically work together.
aningbo
i doubt this is gonna work out.

i might be wrong though.

good luck with it dude.
ParsaAkbari
Sounds like a rather mischevious way to hide your ip address.

Although i dont see why anybody would want to do that........ Wink
Flakky
I use two Linksys wireless adapters to have a connection with a router. It's very easy to set up. I use Windows Vista and in the network center I pick connect to network, it will search for wireless routers and I have to connect to them, next I have to repeat that step and I pick the same wireless router but this time I scroll down to my other device.

I'm not sure about actual speed differences but I did it because they often fail if I am downloading a lot of stuff so it's more of a backup connection.
Josso
I would imagine XP would make it difficult to do this and you would *probably* require some third party software of some kind. It's worth a try, but you need to figure out whether the time spent setting it up will be worth it.
BlueVD
To put is simple, you can't.
There are to many problems that need to be sorted out in order for this to work.
This is due to the way the TCP protocol and UDP protocol are designed.
Every packet of data leaving your laptop has certain information in it. One server that get's a request from IP x.x.x.x will ALWAYS answer to ip x.x.x.x; and since two different connections usually have 2 distinct ip's, your idea is simply impossible to achieve. The only place where you can benefit from the 2 connections is certain p2p protocols that can read multipart data from the same source requesting different segments / net conn. But it ain't a big improvement.
If you would have linux, you could use a load balancing program to automatically route different programs to one of the 2 connections depending on the load of the other one. But even this is hard to achieve since you need good knowledge of TC, IP and advanced routing.
basically, all you can do is bind P2P programs on one connection and use the other one for http, ftp and so on.
toddy333
funky_programmer wrote:

After searching on the google, I found a software named WooWeb. This software acts as a virtual gateway which would manage your two internet connection and combine them. So, all you have to do is set your default gateway on your LAN interface to the gateway specified in WooWeb.

Can you tell me how you did this?

Thank you.
awazdohamko2004
I too need the solution for the problem ..
Agent ME
ParsaAkbari wrote:
Sounds like a rather mischevious way to hide your ip address.

Instead of one IP address, there could be two IP addresses as connections are balanced between them. Not really any hiding going on there.

BlueVD wrote:
To put is simple, you can't.
There are to many problems that need to be sorted out in order for this to work.
This is due to the way the TCP protocol and UDP protocol are designed.
Every packet of data leaving your laptop has certain information in it. ...

Individual packets won't be somehow split between the connections. Ideally, simultaneous HTTP requests would be balanced between each connection. If you download two files at once, each connection does a file, etc. Most websites have many files that need to be downloaded, such as images, css, and javascript files.