FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Fonts ruin my website!

ParsaAkbari
I made my website font scheme a while back, and as you should know it is incredibaly hard to change the font scheme,

The problem is that my brothers computers wont load up the Agency FB and Algerian fonts, so the layout and evreything is total ruined and bent.

I will have to totaly edit the CSS in each and evreyone of the pages since i didnt make a "master page", then I will have to change all the sizes so it fits, also all my image titles will just look odd and out of place.

So chnaging my font is not a option for me really Sad Sad

Is there anyway i can solve this? How many people can see my homepage:
http://runescapeclan.co.uk

As it is seen in this image:
wumingsden
It seems to be showing correctly for me Smile Question
sonam
The people without this font will see some totally different. I think you can upload somewhere this font and say to website to using it but I don't know exact how to make it. The other solution is to change font. The main reason why webmaster using font-family in css is different computers with different fonts.

Sonam
riccopt
that is why you should only use WINDOWS DEFAULT FONTS (even if there will be people using MAC and LINUX accessing your site)...
or use some "general definition of fonts" like sans-serif or serif
I generally use VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA...
if you use CSS it is quite easy to change the fonts of the site...
another way to solve the problem is converting the text with those different fonts into IMAGES...
ParsaAkbari
Is it not possible to say:

If font A is available use it

If not use font B?
riccopt
ParsaAkbari wrote:

If not use font B?

with CSS you can do that...
font-family: VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL,TIMES NEW ROMAN, serif;

that is one way to do it
the site will try the 1st font... if it is not found on the users pc... it will go for the next one...
ocalhoun
riccopt wrote:
ParsaAkbari wrote:

If not use font B?

that is one way to do it
the site will try the 1st font... if it is not found on the users pc... it will go for the next one...

There's a way to do it without CSS, though I forget exactly how...
riccopt
ocalhoun wrote:
riccopt wrote:
ParsaAkbari wrote:

If not use font B?

that is one way to do it

why do it some other way when CSS is the best way to do it?

you can do it with JAVA SCRIPT... you can even do HOVER EFFECTS with JAVA SCRIPT... but do it with java scripts when you can do things with CSS that will work on all browsers?
guissmo
What's that font extension that can be used for websites again?
I think that makes a good walk around for that problem.
I just can't remember what it was.
ocalhoun
riccopt wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
riccopt wrote:
ParsaAkbari wrote:

If not use font B?

that is one way to do it

why do it some other way when CSS is the best way to do it?

you can do it with JAVA SCRIPT... you can even do HOVER EFFECTS with JAVA SCRIPT... but do it with java scripts when you can do things with CSS that will work on all browsers?

Not Java either; there is a way to do it simply and easily in basic HTML.
AftershockVibe
I'm using Ubuntu so, of course, the Windows specific fonts don't exist and the "Navigation" layout is messed up.

So, really you want to use a generic font family as a last resort (and check it works ok beforehand) then if you really want to, specify a special font if people have it.

For example in CSS:
Code:
p
{
font-family: "Agency FB", sans-serif;
}

or
Code:
<p style="font-family: 'Agency FB', sans-serif">

Note: That's just an example. Sans serif doesn't look much like Agency.
mOrpheuS
ocalhoun wrote:

You mean the "old"
Code:
<font face="f1, f2, f3 ..." color="c1, c2 ,c3 ..." size="+X" weight="normal">text</font>
markup ?

As riccopt said, CSS it much better for doing that.
ocalhoun
mOrpheuS wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

You mean the "old"
Code:
<font face="f1, f2, f3 ..." color="c1, c2 ,c3 ..." size="+X" weight="normal">text</font>
markup ?

As riccopt said, CSS it much better for doing that.

Yeah! That's it!
Yes, its not the preferred way to do things now, but it would work, and it would be very easy to implement as a quick fix to a basic HTML web page.
mOrpheuS
ocalhoun wrote:
Yes, its not the preferred way to do things now, but it would work, and it would be very easy to implement as a quick fix to a basic HTML web page.

It sure works. Countless websites of yore (remember sites hosted on geocities, tripod ?) can attest to the fact that it works. Laughing

But that's because that was the 90's. Now we have CSS ... why not start off doing things the right way ?
ocalhoun
mOrpheuS wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

It sure works. Countless websites of yore (remember sites hosted on geocities, tripod ?) can attest to the fact that it works. Laughing

But that's because that was the 90's. Now we have CSS ... why not start off doing things the right way ?

So that you can get your website to look right with a minimum of editing and without having to learn an entire new system... Which would be a good thing if you didn't plan to make website authoring a long-term hobby or carer.

If you want to spend the rest of your life making web pages, then you should surely keep up with the newest standards. If you just want to make this one page work, and don't plan to be making any more, then why learn entirely new things when a small addition to what you already know will do?
mOrpheuS
ocalhoun wrote:
So that you can get your website to look right with a minimum of editing and without having to learn an entire new system... Which would be a good thing if you didn't plan to make website authoring a long-term hobby or carer.

If you want to spend the rest of your life making web pages, then you should surely keep up with the newest standards. If you just want to make this one page work, and don't plan to be making any more, then why learn entirely new things when a small addition to what you already know will do?

If website making isn't my long term hobby, I would go for a WYSIWYG tool.
But if I am getting down-and-dirty, wallowing in the underlying code of my web pages, I might as well do it the right way.

Besides, CSS is hardly the "newest" trend. Apart from the few of us who started making websites in the 90's, nobody is likely to have used the long deprecated "font" tag.

For the OP, in all likelihood, the new thing to learn is probably the "font" tag , not CSS !
ocalhoun
mOrpheuS wrote:

For the OP, in all likelihood, the new thing to learn is probably the "font" tag , not CSS !

?!?
Kids these days are learning CSS before basic HTML?
deanhills
ParsaAkbari wrote:
I made my website font scheme a while back, and as you should know it is incredibaly hard to change the font scheme,

The problem is that my brothers computers wont load up the Agency FB and Algerian fonts, so the layout and evreything is total ruined and bent.

I will have to totaly edit the CSS in each and evreyone of the pages since i didnt make a "master page", then I will have to change all the sizes so it fits, also all my image titles will just look odd and out of place.

So chnaging my font is not a option for me really Sad Sad

Is there anyway i can solve this? How many people can see my homepage:
http://runescapeclan.co.uk

As it is seen in this image:

Probably better to stick with simple fonts, as not all people have all the fonts, so after all of your trouble, only those people who have your fonts loaded on their computers will see your fonts the way you want them to see them. Also black is never a good idea, always better to have a white background and to play with white as you can be very creative with white space and simple fonts, perhaps using it in conjunction with tables. The red and green do not contrast well with the black. If you want to play with colour fonts probably better to contrast them with a white background.
sonam
I am little bit search on google and find this nice tutorial how to embed fonts in html. What the best you can use clear css for displaying it. I haven't time to check it but hope this will help all of us. Tutorial is here:
http://www.spoono.com/html/tutorials/tutorial.php?id=19

Sonam