FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

why .cn was so cheap?!?!?!

Xaferrow
Hi all,,

i've just bought a .cn domain name www.conra.cn

i bought it at name.com

guess how much does it cost?

it just $0.99, althought it just for first year, just wanna ask 'how it became cheap'?
k_s_baskar
Some domain service providers use this techniuqe to increase customer base and to make the domain extension popular. Few years back you can register .info for very least price ($0.2 but only for the first year) but now the renewal fee is equal to .com or .net.
Smile
Xaferrow
k_s_baskar wrote:
but now the renewal fee is equal to .com or .net.
Smile

some of them, renewal is more expensive Twisted Evil
prithvi
Yep, that's a common marketing strategy.............give it cheap at the start and when it comes to renewal time, they quote the normal price.
By that time, the customer is already dependent on the domain name and wouldn't mind a renewal rate, since its serving the customer's purpose.
Xaferrow
Yeah, how slime n tricky
vineeth
Yes, this is a trick. You can have a live watch of this at http://www.name.com/pricing.php
If we use one domain for one year, it is almost hard to change it or leave it in the second year and we are forced to continue with the old name. Then, the price will be higher.
joostvane
They kinda did the same thing with .be (for Belgium). You could register free for one year. I used different names and I got 5 domains at 5 different companies. I never renewed my domains after the free year, but 2 years later I got a bill in my mailbox of 20 EUR. One of the companies had a very cool 'auto renewal' function, and I had to pay 20 EUR.
mymyhope
you will pay more the next year
the-guide
vineeth wrote:

If we use one domain for one year, it is almost hard to change it or leave it in the second year and we are forced to continue with the old name. Then, the price will be higher.

Exactly, we are forced to use it implicitly in the next year to keep our previous hard work continue life. It's truly marketing trick that work very well. Surefire trick ever.