FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Applications that steal focus

Da Rossa
Hi people,
I'm using Windows XP SP3. Since remote days there are always some annoying, but very essential applications, such as MS Office, Outlook, Firefox, Adobe Suite that, once opened, they take a little to load. I enjoy this time to keep doing things on other windows but, when finished loading, they maximize and steal the focus. Not annoying if it only happens once a day, but, in here, it happens a lot.
Is there a way to prevent it?

Note that TweakUI has this exact option but it doesn't work satisfactorily.
ocalhoun
On windows there's nothing you can do about it. KDE under linux can configure this perfectly, but I doubt you want to make the change just for that.
Da Rossa
But yes, I'd like to make precisely this change... are you sure there is no way? Sad There are always people finding new functionalities in Windows!!
ocalhoun
Da Rossa wrote:
But yes, I'd like to make precisely this change... are you sure there is no way? Sad There are always people finding new functionalities in Windows!!

Maybe just maybe there is a some kind of 3rd party software that can do it, but it'll be hard to find.
Arnie
Right-click the shortcut and click Properties. There's a drop-down menu where you can tell it to start Minimized, Maximized or in a regular window.

I hope that's what you meant.
Da Rossa
Arnie wrote:
Right-click the shortcut and click Properties. There's a drop-down menu where you can tell it to start Minimized, Maximized or in a regular window.

I hope that's what you meant.

Can't do that. This is because I use Autohotkey, and I created hotkeys to run programs integrated to the system, as if I went to Start, Run, and typed "Outlook". So there is no shortcut in which I can select the startup appearance... Sad
Arnie
Why didn't you mention this crucial detail before? Now obviously you should be asking this question on the AutoHotKey support forums / wiki / chat / mailing list / whatever they have.
Diablosblizz
If you are using AutoHotKey then surely you are using C:\Program Files\whateverprogram\whatever.exe. There might possibly be a attribute to minimize on startup. I'm not a 100% sure what AutoHotKey does or how it works, or if there is even a attribute to minimize the program.

I hope this helps, at least a little bit.
Da Rossa
Hold on!
Quote:
Why didn't you mention this crucial detail before? Now obviously you should be asking this question on the AutoHotKey support forums / wiki / chat / mailing list / whatever they have.
This is not relevant as you think. The function of the program is exactly the same as doing Start, Run, type the name of the program. Like Run, notepad opens the notepad. This is what the program does, just acts as a "shortcutter".
So this is not about AHK, but the programs, specially MS Office, Firefox and Adobe products.

But I can see now. i must create a shortcut to the application and modify the attributes, then point AHK to run that shortcut instead of the original .exe.
thanks!
Arnie
The thing is users on that forum are more likely to have run into similar problems since they all use the app. Here, you'll be lucky if you catch one or two actually using the program. Wink If you're really nice, you check back on their community and let them know how you solved it (if somebody else didn't already)

But first I see you're enjoying a vacation, hopefully without computer. Razz
Da Rossa
No, my trip is in 12 hours from now, and I probably will have access, although less freqüent, to a computer Smile

But I'll try sorting it out when I'm back. Smile