FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Australia screwed? Try South Africa!

niixen
How is a country this wrecked supposed to host a world cup? I'm a cop, I should know Evil or Very Mad
ocalhoun
As well as they can...
Either way, they can't loose:
If it goes well, the people who visit will leave thinking that Africa isn't so bad after all, then you get more tourism and foreign investment.
If it goes poorly, it will raise awareness of the situation, and make getting help more likely.
truespeed
Didn't they hold the Rugby world cup in 1995 without any problems? Are things there worse now than they were then?
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
As well as they can...
Either way, they can't loose:
If it goes well, the people who visit will leave thinking that Africa isn't so bad after all, then you get more tourism and foreign investment.
If it goes poorly, it will raise awareness of the situation, and make getting help more likely.

Right on Ocalhoun, and by the way you are right, it is not as bad as it sounds. I have visited South Africa a few times this year. Security is a challenge, but you can see the effort to deal with this every where, and specifically at the airport. Security has been increased every where. Politics are going through some challenges, i.e. a power struggle in the ANC, but compared with other countries in Africa, all of this is done mostly peacefully. Violent crime is there, but has been there for centuries. I felt completely secure in the Hotels and Bed and Breakfasts I stayed at. There is safe transportation every where in Johannesburg. Once you are focussed on safety and security, you should be more than OK. It is still a very beautiful country with fantastic people.

It would be interesting for Nixxen to give more information regarding his concerns though as he does not give any reasons for his statement. Especially since he is of the police force. Police are under great pressure in South Africa, probably one of the professions most challenged from a physical security point of view.
LumberJack
truespeed wrote:
Didn't they hold the Rugby world cup in 1995 without any problems? Are things there worse now than they were then?

Rugby is no where the equivalent to soccer. Especially in Africa. It will be a gong show over there unfortunately, think they will have the stadiums ready?
lyndonray
I live in Botswana right next to South Africa, and I am not even sure myself if they are ready to host the world cup. And that's with regard to one thing: Crime! The infrastructure and facilities are in place, but the crime rate is a bit crazy. So there are enough people who are going to try to illegally capitalise on the event. I just hope the security structures can be in a position to contain things. Apart from that: Hell Yeah South Africa is Ready. 2010 will rock!!!
lagoon
Did anyone in Britain see Louis Theroux's Law and Order in Johanesburg? It really does show the dire problem of crime in South Africa.
atul2242
O give them a chance