FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Pro standard headphones

rockstar
I'm looking for a serious set of headphones for use with my PA system. They must be high output with good rejection of external sound (ie. closed back). They must be robust with good sound quality (ie. flat, no artificial bass boost).
I currently have Sennheiser HD201s which are next to useless because they distort at anywhere near usable volume.

I've tried Beyerdynamic DT100 and DT150 and found them to be pretty good, any more suggestions?

No "bud" types, please!

Thanks.
b4r4t
Go to music shop , or a BIG electromarket and try AKG headphones Smile
Every headphones sounds different ... they have their own "spirit" ... own sound Smile

For example Sennheiser is ballanced, KOSS have more bass, AKG are ... well You have to hear it.

By the way ... HD201 are one of cheapest models from Sennheizer ... try something better Smile
rockstar
My freind has some AKG 271s. Best headphones I've ever heard, but they of the "open" variety, so not good for my application.
b4r4t
but there are "closed" AKG headphones too Smile Just go, search, listen (electromarkets, music shops...)
8166UY
I have a Sennheiser which I think is very good. Before this I had some from Sony and Philips, but they lacked the quality despite the high prices.
rockstar
8166UY wrote:
I have a Sennheiser which I think is very good. Before this I had some from Sony and Philips, but they lacked the quality despite the high prices.

I must admit that I'm not a fan of the Sony headphones that i have tried, either in sound or build quality. Philips audio stuff in general tend to sound clinical, but in a rather non musical way.
ddukki
If you're not worried about the headphones being silent to others around you, then go for the Grado Labs headphones. They're the best engineered headphones in my opinion, for the price range they offer. Check them out, here: http://gradolabs.com/
rockstar
ddukki wrote:
If you're not worried about the headphones being silent to others around you, then go for the Grado Labs headphones. They're the best engineered headphones in my opinion, for the price range they offer. Check them out, here: http://gradolabs.com/

I did quite a lot of reading about Grado cans, I didn't get to try any because there is no one locally that stocks them. Lots of different opinions about them tho, both good and bad.
David_Pardy
I'm using a set of these, and the reason I got them was because of the clarity, the bass response, and most importantly - the sensitivity and power.

http://www.pioneer.com.au/Products/Pro%20DJ/DJ%20Software%20Accessories/HDJ%201000.aspx

I got them a lot cheaper on eBay. I use them for practising with my drums, I wear them over my earplugs and they need to be loud enough to overpower the volume of the drums, which these are. I've even cranked them to painful levels with earplugs on and they still didn't distort.
Ankhanu
rockstar wrote:
I'm looking for a serious set of headphones for use with my PA system. They must be high output with good rejection of external sound (ie. closed back). They must be robust with good sound quality (ie. flat, no artificial bass boost).
I currently have Sennheiser HD201s which are next to useless because they distort at anywhere near usable volume.

Have you considered anything like active noise-cancelling headphones (ie. Sennheiser PXC150)?
rockstar
Ankhanu wrote:
rockstar wrote:

Have you considered anything like active noise-cancelling headphones (ie. Sennheiser PXC150)?

Noise cancelling cans are a good idea in principle, I've not found any that have the build quality that will survive life on the road. They tend to be lightweight, but because of that, not very durable.

I have finally gone out and got some Beyerdynamic DT100s. Tough, lots of noise insulation, they sound good and almost all the parts are replaceable. Hopefully they should last me forever!
rockstar
David_Pardy wrote:
I'm using a set of these, and the reason I got them was because of the clarity, the bass response, and most importantly - the sensitivity and power.

http://www.pioneer.com.au/Products/Pro%20DJ/DJ%20Software%20Accessories/HDJ%201000.aspx

I got them a lot cheaper on eBay. I use them for practising with my drums, I wear them over my earplugs and they need to be loud enough to overpower the volume of the drums, which these are. I've even cranked them to painful levels with earplugs on and they still didn't distort.

Working as a sound engineer in live environment, I find using earplugs AND headphones an odd combination. If the the headphone have good rejection of external sounds, you wont need the plugs. I also play guitar right beside a very loud drummer in a rock band, I know how much noise a tub thumper can generate!

There are specific headphones for drummers. http://www.extremeheadphones.com/ http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/headphones/20738/Beyerdynamic+DT770+M.htm
Blandon75
rockstar wrote:

I've tried Beyerdynamic DT100 and DT150 and found them to be pretty good, any more suggestions?

No "bud" types, please!

Thanks.

Me, I am using Grado PS1000 Headphones connected to Beyerdynamic A1 Audiophile Headphone Amplifier. I think it works well for me because I don’t hear any distorted sound plus I can even balance the bass volume of the Headphone separately form the amplifier and my sound unit. I also have controlling equalizers so I can balance the sound clearly with the effect that I like to hear.