FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Including With PHP

FuNkMan
The Include Function

Without understanding much about the details of PHP, you can save yourself a great deal of time with the use of the PHP include function. The include function takes a file name and simply inserts that files contents into the file that calls the include function.

Why is this a cool thing? Well, first of all, this means that you can type up a common header or menu file that you want all your web pages to include. When you add a new page to your site, instead of having to update the links on tens of separate web pages, you can simply change the Menu file.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An Include Example

Say we wanted to create a common menu file that all our pages will use. For easy reference, files that are to be included usually are named with a ".inc" extension. Since we want to create a common menu, let us save it as "menu.inc".
-----------------
Code:

menu.inc Code:
<html> <body>
<a href="index.php">Home</a> -
<a href="about.php">About Us</a> -
<a href="links.php">Links</a> -
<a href="contact.php">Contact Us</a> <br />

Save the above file as "menu.inc". Now create a new file, "index.php" in the same directory as "menu.inc". Here we will take advantage of the include function to add our common menu.
Code:

index.php Code:
<?php include("menu.inc"); ?>
<p>This is my home page that uses a common menu to save me time when I add new pages to my website!</p>
</body>
</html>

[/code]