FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are care and compassion dead?

icecool
over the decades we have become more and more self-centered. community and family values have declined, traditional society systems have been eroded, everybody is loking out for themselves and love thy neighbor has been a forgotten principle.

now we have gone one step further.
for people living in any large conurbation it will not come as a surprise to see someone lying on a pavement or against a shop wall and everybody walks past. we are afraid of what we may find - a knive in the stomach or just a fellow human being in need of help. nobody wants to be a victim of crime. and nobody wants to see misery and misfortune - it could happen to us next.

we have become used to NOT CARE or have compassion.

now it has been legalised.
Quote:
LOS ANGELES Proving that no good deed goes unpunished, the state's high court on Thursday said a would-be Good Samaritan accused of rendering her friend paraplegic by pulling her from a wrecked car "like a rag doll" can be sued.

California's Supreme Court ruled that the state's Good Samaritan law only protects people from liability if the are administering emergency medical care, and that Lisa Torti's attempted rescue of her friend didn't qualify.

in times past you could be sued for not helping. now you can be sued for trying to help.
what has society become?

someone once said.
"to be or do wrong is bad. but to stand by watching it and DO NOTHING is worse"
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081218/ap_on_re_us/samaritan_protection
deanhills
I don't completely agree with that statement. Yes, to a certain extent when there are quite a large number of people in a not so good area where people are rather fearful to get involved, we do become disassociated from one another, and could pass people who need us in the street, without paying attention to them. Yet if something really awful would happen, I do believe we would do our best, even if it is to dial 911 after we have made sure that we are safe ourselves.
Libby
It is a really bad idea to move someone who may have had a spinal injury.

I guess some people don't know this. :/

Maybe it's because movies and TV make you think that any car that hits a lamppost is going to automatically explode in a huge deadly inferno...

It's sad when people have to sue their friends.... Sad
OpposableThumbs
No single story sums up a culture or a time. I'm not sure, but I think this way of proving a point began with a Ronald Reagan rhetorical device: tell a story about a small kid in Indiana as a way of proving that a multi-billion piece of legislation is necessary.
ocalhoun
OpposableThumbs wrote:
No single story sums up a culture or a time. I'm not sure, but I think this way of proving a point began with a Ronald Reagan rhetorical device: tell a story about a small kid in Indiana as a way of proving that a multi-billion piece of legislation is necessary.

Surely it is much older than that. Using an anecdote to 'prove' something that in reality needs much more definite study must be nearly as old as spoken language itself.

For all their logical inadequacy, anecdotes do have a couple of advantages:
- impact to people: people will be moved by the story of one injury far more than they will by a column in a graph that represents 10,000 dead.
- cheap and easy to get: studies and the gathering of statistics and the performing of experiments take time, effort, and money. Anecdotes can usually be easily found for free.
harismushtaq
I think it is easy to tell by medical examination that what was the source of injuries. I don't think just pulling out of the car can cause serious spinal injuries or worsen them to irreversible extent. If by medical examination, it can be made clear, then this should not be made such a major court suite as it will create an atmosphere that people will refrain from helping others I beleive.
sondosia
Quote:
over the decades we have become more and more self-centered. community and family values have declined, traditional society systems have been eroded, everybody is loking out for themselves and love thy neighbor has been a forgotten principle.

Absolutely not true. If by "family values have declined" you mean that it's no longer acceptable for husbands to beat their wives, daughters can no longer be forced into marriages, and men aren't the sole money-makers any more, then sure. But times move on. I'm 17, and not only I, but pretty much all of my friends, are still very tied to our families. Many of my friends say that family is the biggest influencing factor in their lives, and lots of others are deciding to attend college near home so they can be close to their families.

As for "love they neighbor has been a forgotten principle", I've also found that just the opposite is true. In September, there was a huge windstorm where I live, and everybody in my town lost power. My house and some of the ones around it were powerless the longest--almost a week. Yet our neighbors, some of whom we had never even met before, came over to check on us and offered to let us use their fridges so our food doesn't go bad.

If you watch the news, all you'll see are the rare but evocative negative images of people and society gone wrong. However, if you turn off the TV and take a walk around your neighborhood, neighbors will say hello and chat with you.

I have been lucky to experience so many acts of random kindness in my still-short life that I couldn't possibly list them all here. I'd say I've had much more kindness and love in my life than the erosion of values you speak of.
davidfromoz
I couldn't get the link to work. Here is another:

Samaritan Story

I think this is a rather important question. It seems that the rescuer made a mistake. And will now be sued for it.

But the decision seems to be more important than that. Because it suggests that rendering assistance in such cases is the domain of professionals. That is to say normal people shouldn't help.

Should we help people who are in trouble? I'd say yes. But if things turn out bad and the help was imperfect then it might end up backfiring on the helper.

No care and compassion are not dead. They have just become government responsibilities. Normal people need not apply. I hope such rules don't become the norm where I live. Next time I'm in trouble please go ahead and help me. I promise I won't sue!