FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Natural teeth whitening therapies?

deanhills
Any traditional therapies for whitening teeth? I am worried that the current treatments may be harsh on the gums or enamel of my teeth. I know there are quite a range of teeth whitening in a box on pharmacy shelves as well as dentist treatments, but am interested in natural therapies that have been practised for centuries. If you know of any would be grateful if you could share it with this forum.
mejo1900
I think a lot of natural remedies are even worse on your teeth. I would suggest if you are worried using an FDA approved natural whitener.
deanhills
mejo1900 wrote:
I think a lot of natural remedies are even worse on your teeth. I would suggest if you are worried using an FDA approved natural whitener.

Thanks for the suggestion.
driftingfe3s
mejo1900 wrote:

Yeah mejo1900 is right. A lot of natural remedies for whitening teeth destroy the enamel, which is the protective coating of the tooth.
mikakiev
Mechanical or ultrasound is better.
shindig
I presume by natural you mean free? In terms of anything safe, about all you can do is brush three times a day 'till it eventually goes away.
bonestorm74
Yeh probably brushing is the best way. Try not to brush too hard though. I was once in the habit of brushing too hard down one side of my teeth and it eventually wore some of the tooth away, so you have to be careful with that sort of thing.
killerqueen
Brushing your teeth in a good way and on a daily basis (3-4 times a day is just fine) will help your teeth. However, there are some spots that won't be removed by just brushing them. You should definitely consult your dentist. Besides, every teeth is different.
TBSC
I read that eating blueberries helps whiten teeth. It does work somewhat.
deanhills
TBSC wrote:

This was exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for, many thanks TBSC. Will definitely try it. I have also heard of charcoal. I have no idea how it works, but people from Sudan use it, and you should see their teeth. As bright as anything.
TBSC
deanhills wrote:
TBSC wrote:

This was exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for, many thanks TBSC. Will definitely try it. I have also heard of charcoal. I have no idea how it works, but people from Sudan use it, and you should see their teeth. As bright as anything.

Sure another one is hydrogen peroxide and baking soda mixed into a paste. Of course if you are drinking tea and coffee or smoking it will only work so well.
deanhills
TBSC wrote:
Sure another one is hydrogen peroxide and baking soda mixed into a paste. Of course if you are drinking tea and coffee or smoking it will only work so well.

Thanks! This is another good one for me! Smile
TBSC
deanhills wrote:
TBSC wrote:

Glad I could help. Smile
atul2242
just a Q - you're looking for whiter teeth or healthier teeth?
deanhills
atul2242 wrote:
just a Q - you're looking for whiter teeth or healthier teeth?

Both. That is why I am looking for natural teeth whiteners rather than abrasive ones that will eat away the enamel. I know that some countries do have this in their traditional medicines. I was hoping to find contributions from those.
atul2242
Traditionally a twig of the neem tree ( like a pencil in size ) is used to brush teeth instead of a normal toothbrush.
The natural atiseptics and astringents in the neem help fight cavities and close the gap between the teeth and gums.
Laughing
The idea is to chew a little bit of the end so it becomes soft and then brush the teeth with the softer part.
Just a sinle use of this treatment will give you much better teeth in six months and you can say goodbye to your dentist.

Very Happy

For whitening people also use the bark of the walnut tree.
This natural time-tested process has died out in many cities as people become modrnized.
atul2242
TBSC wrote:
deanhills wrote:
TBSC wrote:

Glad I could help. Smile

The hydroden peroxide can dissolve bones and could damage the enamel if used over a period of time.

But it works fast.

take care Smile
deanhills
atul2242 wrote:
Traditionally a twig of the neem tree ( like a pencil in size ) is used to brush teeth instead of a normal toothbrush.
The natural atiseptics and astringents in the neem help fight cavities and close the gap between the teeth and gums.
Laughing
The idea is to chew a little bit of the end so it becomes soft and then brush the teeth with the softer part.
Just a sinle use of this treatment will give you much better teeth in six months and you can say goodbye to your dentist.

Very Happy

This natural time-tested process has died out in many cities as people become modrnized.

I like these natural ideas. Many thanks for posting them. I particularly am interest in the twig of neem. Will search around for it and am confident I should find them here in the Middle East.
atul2242
deanhills wrote:
atul2242 wrote:
Laughing

Very Happy

I like these natural ideas. Many thanks for posting them. I particularly am interest in the twig of neem. Will search around for it and am confident I should find them here in the Middle East.

Maybe some local would know how to use it ...
Best of luck.
RubySlasher
I once heard that cheese has natural enzymes (and of course calcium) in it that helps keep teeth clean and healthy if you eat it.
I'm not really sure if this is true or not.
pho3nixsky
Brushing your teeth 2wice a day and Listerine has proved miracles for me Wink
la_Duchess
TBSC wrote:
deanhills wrote:
TBSC wrote:

I have heard of this one before, but the charcoal thing sounds extreme to me...
mikakiev
Fruity remedy (forgive the awful pun), involves mashing strawberries into a pasty pulp and brushing your teeth with them. This tastes nice, but may be almost as harmful as lemon juice for the same reasons. Strawberries also contain acid, and the seeds can damage your gums or even your teeth if you brush too hard. If you do chose to use strawberries for teeth whitening, be sure to brush your teeth or rinse your mouth shortly afterwards.
Crunchy Vegetables

Vegetables such as celery, carrots, broccoli, and cucumbers are naturally abrasive and act like little toothbrushes that scrub away stains.
Wood Ash (Lye)

The potassium hydroxide found in hardwood ash is a bleaching agent and will whiten teeth. A popular home remedy is brushing with the wood ash on a regular basis. Potassium will harm the enamel in your teeth over time and this has to taste awful. It's best to stay away from this one.
Baking Soda

The process of brushing teeth with a baking soda and salt mixture has been around for a long time, and for good reason. It can actually be effective in removing stains, especially with the help of peroxide. Baking soda will also help to kill bacteria which causes plaque, and reduce acids which can harm tooth enamel.
jwellsy
The effectiveness of all prescription methods, over-the-counter products and natural remedies is drasticly hindered by how how fast/often you reapply staining agents to your teeth. I have known people to only drink coffee and tea through straws. They use a straw to draw in the staining agents past the teeth to preserve the whiteness.

I plan on having all my metal fillings replaced with white filler material. That should help brighten up the grill and eliminate lead etc.
computerexpert09
goto the whole foods store they have it there ive seen it.
programitv
I`ve read the lemon skin, the white part, brushed against your teeth would help on whitening them.
pennylane1284
I hear strawberries are good for the teeth, though I think they're just for cleaning.
bd_and_dan
Remember toothpaste will never whitening your teeth. Only treatment at a dentist or stuff you buy for whitening your teeth will fix them. Not easy to know when all the comercial for toothpaste show the contrary.
Greatking
the most natural remedies is to brush your teeth regularly as we were taught since childhood. its the best actually, or seeing a qualified dentist is the best.
LittleBlackKitten
DON'T DO IT! Anything that changes the color of your teeth will cause you EXTREME PAIN! I have used whitening toothpastes for a few months now and anything hot cold sweet or pressure causes my entire left side of my mouth to sting and ache almost worse than a tooth ache, and it's becuase of the whitening! Its only cosmetic to fix teeth color and most people don't really give a flying. Unless you're in media and have to have white teeth, then you're better off with caps or veneers, they are less abraisive on your teeth, and you won't have to suffer in pain like me, without any dental insurance or money to get it fixed!

It's NOT worth it! Trust me. It will wake you up at 4 am feeling like your teeth are being ground out of your head or being ripped out with pliers, and pain killers won't touch it and oragel like products only lightens it and bandaids the issue! Take my pain as a lesson; its NOT worth it!!
deanhills
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
It's NOT worth it! Trust me. It will wake you up at 4 am feeling like your teeth are being ground out of your head or being ripped out with pliers, and pain killers won't touch it and oragel like products only lightens it and bandaids the issue! Take my pain as a lesson; its NOT worth it!!
Thanks for the warning. I was thinking of having it done professionally by a dentist, but that probably would have been worse, given that the treatment would have been more intense and hence that more painful. Bleaching is probably only for people with very robust gums and teeth.
abhinaviit
really good one ......... Laughing
stephenpolicia234
White teeth its a symbol of good person and richness,Everyone wants to shine light and a warm smile, so avoid to much eating habits change starting teeth discolored. junk food, cola, red wine, alcohol, chocolate, coffee, cigarettes, all contribute to yellowing of teeth.