FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Email!

Arty
Which email program do you people use? Currently I'm using Gmail and GMX mail...
Gmail is great...but all the good names are taken
while GMX is almost as good ^^

Yahoo in my opinion is great but again has all the good names taken, while hotmail is just dumb =P

And what about email programs? I'm just using Thunderbird, Don't really know anything better.
And I can't decide between INAP or POP3.
shkumbin
I am mostly using GMAIL because it is really fast nad has the highest amount of available space of all free web based emails out there, I use the Hotmail account just to chat with my friends and family on messenger live and have an old Yahoo! email which I dont use it very much.
truespeed
shkumbin wrote:
I am mostly using GMAIL because it is really fast nad has the highest amount of available space of all free web based emails out there.

Yahoo has an unlimited space inbox.
deanhills
Arty wrote:
Which email program do you people use? Currently I'm using Gmail and GMX mail...
Gmail is great...but all the good names are taken
while GMX is almost as good ^^

Yahoo in my opinion is great but again has all the good names taken, while hotmail is just dumb =P

And what about email programs? I'm just using Thunderbird, Don't really know anything better.
And I can't decide between INAP or POP3.

I feel the same about Hotmail. Especially with its latest changes. But yes, all the best names have been taken for Hotmail, Yahoo and Google.

Have you tried Lycos?

http://mail.lycos.com/lycos/Index.lycos
truespeed
Im surprised there isn't a mini economy buying and selling all the best names for yahoo/hotmail and gmail.

It took me ages to get an invite to gmail,but when i did i felt sure i would get one of my names on there as it still was on invite only,but no they were all gone.
coolclay
I was so happy when gmail came out because all the good names were still available! I have several gmail accounts even though I guess your not supposed to do that! Oh well I use them all for different things.
crimson_aria
I use gmail and yahoomail. I have one hotmail account which I haven't visited for months now, so it's probably expired. I use gmail more often than any other mail.
standready
I have too many email accounts, some are gmail, email and yahoo. Also, have hotmail for a junk box.
Ghost Rider103
I use Hotmail. I don't see why everyone complains about Hotmail, there is nothing wrong with it, I think you guys just like to put the things down that you don't use. I use Gmail as well, and there is nothing wrong with that either.

Though I stay away from Yahoo, it's just too crowded looking for me, and I can't stand being on their website.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I use Hotmail. I don't see why everyone complains about Hotmail, there is nothing wrong with it, I think you guys just like to put the things down that you don't use. I use Gmail as well, and there is nothing wrong with that either.

Though I stay away from Yahoo, it's just too crowded looking for me, and I can't stand being on their website.

I have several Hotmail accounts, Yahoo accounts, Lycos accounts and Gmail Accounts and I use them all for different purposes. On a comparison level, Hotmail is the worst liked by me, as first you have to type in the whole name in the log-in, then they have been fiddling with how it works to the extent that for the last few times there is always a new bell or whistle coming up first and your eyes have to cross over slightly to figure out you can still proceed. Think of the lot Gmail feels the most secure, although at the same the most invasive with all its different levels of bots. I guess this is typical of life, that which comes free, actually has a price as well. Free is never really free.
Ghost Rider103
deanhills wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

I have several Hotmail accounts, Yahoo accounts, Lycos accounts and Gmail Accounts and I use them all for different purposes. On a comparison level, Hotmail is the worst liked by me, as first you have to type in the whole name in the log-in, then they have been fiddling with how it works to the extent that for the last few times there is always a new bell or whistle coming up first and your eyes have to cross over slightly to figure out you can still proceed. Think of the lot Gmail feels the most secure, although at the same the most invasive with all its different levels of bots. I guess this is typical of life, that which comes free, actually has a price as well. Free is never really free.

You actually don't have to type in the full name to log in. If your name is example@hotmail.com then you only have to type in "example" and then your password and it will still work.

I can see where your coming from with the other stuff, but I guess I don't get bothered by it as much as some people would.
missdixy
I use Gmail and love it. No real reason I guess, other than it just works well for me. I also have a yahoo account, but I use Gmail as my main.
shkhanal
Similar reason, but I am using Yahoo Mail for more than a decade. You has changed itself and updated and upgraded. Though I use free mail, I never had to complain anything. Its good and the interface is smart enough.

I started with GMail, its great. But sometimes when facing slow connection, I find it hard to log on. But the way gmail displays emails as a list of conversation, its lovely.

I don't use Hotmail other than for messanger purpose.
Diablosblizz
GMail and Hotmail. Mostly hotmail because I use it for my MSN, although I hate the user interface. I use Thunderbird to connect to both of them.
adri
Hotmail and Outlook. Very Happy

Greetz

Adri
friuser
I can only use gmail because they can really filter out spam that hotmail can't do. Yahoo does a semi good job but still isn't good enough.

I suppose if you never own a domain you would not know what I mean because the spam is just so ridiculous especially when spam sites will spoof your domain to send out mail and than you get a bunch of undeliverables. Either way if you are happy with your email as it is than there's no reason to change. They all do the same thing and I am very leary of gmail already. Too much of my info is tied into their email system.
Afaceinthematrix
truespeed wrote:
Im surprised there isn't a mini economy buying and selling all the best names for yahoo/hotmail and gmail.

It took me ages to get an invite to gmail,but when i did i felt sure i would get one of my names on there as it still was on invite only,but no they were all gone.

Ha lol... I've never seen anyone else with my username "Afaceinthematrix." I have it for aol, yahoo, and gmail (although I only use gmail). Oh yeah, and I use it for AIM.
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
truespeed wrote:

Ha lol... I've never seen anyone else with my username "Afaceinthematrix." I have it for aol, yahoo, and gmail (although I only use gmail). Oh yeah, and I use it for AIM.

Afaceinthematrix. What does the name mean? Have been curious about this now for a while. I am sure it has to be scientific, and "A Face in the Matrix", but what does that mean? Sounds cool though. Smile
truespeed
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
truespeed wrote:

You have an unusual user name so your almost always guaranteed to get your name when applying for different email addys.

truespeed is quite unusual,but at the same time when gmail first came around ,because it was invite only,it was more than likely the techy people who were first in the queue,and with truespeed being a type of html code for the marquee tag,i suppose it was inevitable some one would get there first.
Magicman
I have a Yahoo account which works pretty well. I like the interface but i rarely use it anymore because now I use OS X Mail application to deal with all my E- Mail needs.
jmlworld
I use Yahoomail, Gmail and Hotmail. I Hotmail for chatting purposes, I use Yahoo for Mission Impossible business and I use Gmail because I its the main host of all my webmail emails (my webmail based email).

I think Gmail is the best option for everyone looking for professional email. Yahoo is good, too. But Hotmail is childish...

I use Thunderbird as email client software. Razz
Vladalf
I use Yahoo!Mail and I find it really fast tough the mail page sometimes load very slow. I still use an old Yahoo!Mail interface because most Yahoo! changes slow my computer down.
Vladalf
spring567
truespeed wrote:
shkumbin wrote:
I am mostly using GMAIL because it is really fast nad has the highest amount of available space of all free web based emails out there.

Gmail has an unlimited space inbox too. I think Gmail is faster and better then Yahoo .
You can not register a name such as user@yahoo.com in none US country , but end with country domain , for example user@yahoo.com.cn . I don't like yahoo.com.cn .
truespeed
spring567 wrote:
truespeed wrote:
shkumbin wrote:

Gmail has an unlimited space inbox too. I think Gmail is faster and better then Yahoo .
You can not register a name such as user@yahoo.com in none US country , but end with country domain , for example user@yahoo.com.cn . I don't like yahoo.com.cn .

I have a yahoo.com addy,and im not from the USA,i registered mine about 5 years ago though,so maybe its all changed now.
tony
I use gmail. It does the trick for me Smile
supernova1987a
Gmail is very good. Its the best ever. I use Gmail most of the time. While i am also using hotmain and yahoo, i think yahoo has not been able to get to the best, and hotmail has lost everything, it was better off in classic version than what it is now. i cannot even browse my emails properly in hotmail, the email list is too narrow and the the mail preview completely sucks that i have to go through a longer process to view an email properly.
Gmail ROCKS! Its very easy and you can do anything. Its like flying in the air.
Phaphwned
I have been using Gmail for years now. I was one of the earlier people to get to use it, so I was allowed to select just about and names I wished, with no numbers at the end. That was something I could never do with hotmail or yahoo, where I was forced to put either my birthday or favourite number at the end.
apple
Gmail....I can't even remember my yahoo password and hotmail....I use the address for msn Rolling Eyes
hofodomo01
I started off with hotmail (years ago), and moved to yahoo mail. Now I have a gmail, school email, and work email...all of which are forwarded to my thunderbird email client.
{name here}
For a while I used my own email server using Synchronet's BBS system. It's unfortunately pretty unreliable when I don't have the liberty to keep my computer running 24 hours a day, but I got the domain name I wanted with the name I wanted.
mattyj
i HATE web based email (Hotmail, Gmail, etc)

I have all my emails set up off my domain, and if i need to check them over the web (when at work etc) i just use Mail2web
Arty
friuser wrote:
I suppose if you never own a domain you would not know what I mean because the spam is just so ridiculous especially when spam sites will spoof your domain to send out mail and than you get a bunch of undeliverables. Either way if you are happy with your email as it is than there's no reason to change. They all do the same thing and I am very leary of gmail already. Too much of my info is tied into their email system.

I'm planning to get a domain name soon, so how can I protect my address from spam? Any tips would be helpful.

And how do companies spoof your email address? Is it possible to send a mail from one address, but make it look like it's from another?

Thanks Very Happy
biljap
I use Outlook on one computer, and Outlook Express on the other.
When it comes to webmail, I use Gmail and I am really more than satisfied with it, I’ve never had any problem with it. Very Happy