FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Christmas talk: What Christmas practices do you have

mgeek
What Christmas practices do you have apart from looking under the Christmas tree for gifts on the 25th?

Where I come from, we begin Christmas celebrations on December 16 with the Dawn Masses (these begin at 4 AM). Generally, Christmas decorations begin to appear on that day, although there are some people who would put up the decorations earlier. Christmas songs are aired as early as September in our place. (When the months begin to end in -BER, we begin to anticipate Christmas.).

So how about you?
Arty
Nothing. My parents just buy me stuff. =P
Rhineus
Yea, I don't really have that much to tell... just we sometimes let the kids open one Christmas gift on Christmas Eve and let the rest of the Christmas gifts on Christmas Day
b4r4t
Well ... in Poland the Gifts are gaven on 24th, after dinner Smile They lay under christmas tree.
We have also songs called Koledy (those are christmas songs, and there is a lot of them ...)
We eat a fish called Christmas carp, we have 12 traditional dishes ...
We have one more tradition called Christmas wafer
CHristmas in Poland are a little complicated and verry traditional Smile
SpellcasterDX
Umm well we usually go to this big family reunion (from my mom's side) at my aunt/uncle's house and we have dinner there and we stay there till like 1 or 2 in the morning, and then we come back home, and, against my wishes, open our presents. Aha. It's my little bro who can't wait till the 'real' Christmas morning. (ie, 7AM at the very least).

Umm yea then we have breakfast and then go to my grandma from my dad's side's house for a smaller family reunion with my dad's side. And we open up some more presents there. Then we come back home and watch movies and chill.
Donutey
My only expectation from Christmas is some good cream pie. Rolling Eyes Although, it's nice to be with family, though this only happens every couple years since most of my family live pretty far away.
DoctorBeaver
My Christmas practice is to hibernate until the whole sordid affair is over Mad
deanhills
Thanks for reminding me. Probably need to find a nice place to go to for Xmas. When I am in the UAE, I usually try and spend time away for a couple of days. Will probably visit an Internet Cafe or two, have a massage at some or other point, and social with friends.

When I am in South Africa, which I rarely am during Xmas as domestic air travel in South Africa is exorbitantly expensive then, I would spend it with family or friends depending where I am. Focus is usually on food and social as well as sharing gifts during the morning of Xmas Day. Usually we try and limit gifts for the children, but inevitably we always buy something small for grown ups too. Think all the grown ups have something of kids in them anyway. Most of the family are deeply religious, so would go to a special church service just after midnight during the early morning of 25 December, and perhaps again later in the day.
supernova1987a
Well, Wish my friends and acquaintances Merry Christmas, send emails, cards, its a perfect season to stay in touch with friends. Gifts to closer relatives, friends, and prepare for the new year's eve and new year's day. hehe Laughing
well, being a hindu, this is all tht we do in nepal
tony
mgeek wrote:
What Christmas practices do you have apart from looking under the Christmas tree for gifts on the 25th?

Where I come from, we begin Christmas celebrations on December 16 with the Dawn Masses (these begin at 4 AM). Generally, Christmas decorations begin to appear on that day, although there are some people who would put up the decorations earlier. Christmas songs are aired as early as September in our place. (When the months begin to end in -BER, we begin to anticipate Christmas.).

So how about you?

Thanks for sharing your custom; it is nice to read of it.
Melacos
We just keep it pretty low-key, and have a nice evening with a nice dinner... We're pretty much on the same page about wanting to do it that way, as none of us are religious as such and as the spending spree is spread out to cover the whole year, and not just christmas... So presents are pretty basic as well..
nigam
We usually hear mass on the night before 25th...by 12midnight, our family eat together...ohhh you can hear people caroling everywhere...in the jeepneys, in the stores, in our houses and in parks..Christmas is a very wonderful season in the whole year...
hlavco
On Christmas Eve, our grandparents stay over, as well as our uncle and occasionally other family members. We always get Chinese takeout. On Christmas Day we open all our gifts, then drive down to our cousins' house and exchange gifts with our father's side of the family. After hanging out for a bit, we drive to our other grandmother's house which is conveniently just a block away and exchange gifts with that side of the family. We stay and have a big dinner, then go home.