FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Twitter

Tony The Tiger
I am new to twitter. I just tried to sign up last night. I could not sing up as TonyTheTiger or Tony The Tiger. Thus, I signed up as TonyElTigre. I ended up finding a better variation on my name was available and wanted to switch names. I saw an option to delete my account and tried to do so. However, after I deleted the first account, when I tried to recreate an account with the new variation, it said my email address already had an account.

Another problem I had with twitter before I deleted the account, it asked if I wanted it to check my gmail contacts to see if anyone had a twitter account. About a dozen accounts popped up. I checked three that I was familiar with. One of the three would allow me to follow immediately. Are there account options where you have to approve all of your followers?
africa
Oh i've never tried Twitter in my life. I just started a blog here and im not sure what it is that Twitter offers that is so special. I actually thought about going there and getting an account but thought otherwise.

Now i will go and take a peep see what it is that generates all the buzz for em. oh..and good luck about your account. Very Happy
Tony The Tiger
africa wrote:
Oh i've never tried Twitter in my life. I just started a blog here and im not sure what it is that Twitter offers that is so special. I actually thought about going there and getting an account but thought otherwise.

Now i will go and take a peep see what it is that generates all the buzz for em. oh..and good luck about your account. Very Happy

I saw that I had a reply and got all excited that an expert was willing to help me solve my problems. I can now see you are even more of a neophyte than I am.
SRBuckey5266
I have never tried Twitter also, I might try it. Wink
Tony The Tiger
SRBuckey5266 wrote:
I have never tried Twitter also, I might try it. Wink

I think it is only fun/useful if you are part of a gang of twittlers or are trying to follow someone who is a big twit.
froginabox
Tony - you can "protect" your updates, which means they are hidden from public (and Google's) view, and you must approve anyone who requests to follow you.

Under the "Settings" page just above the "Save" button there is a check box that says "Protect updates."

You can find me @refrshingapathy!
Tony The Tiger
froginabox wrote:
Tony - you can "protect" your updates, which means they are hidden from public (and Google's) view, and you must approve anyone who requests to follow you.

Under the "Settings" page just above the "Save" button there is a check box that says "Protect updates."

You can find me @refrshingapathy!

How do you request permission to follow from a person who has set their profile in the manner that you have described.
albuferque
Response from Crystal at:

http://getsatisfaction.com/twitter/topics/why_cant_i_delete_or_restore_my_twitter_account

"There are still some known issues with the restore process, so if you still can't restore your account, send an email to support with the subject line: "can't restore" and in the body of the email, include the following information:

1. user name and the email address associated with your Twitter account
2. a brief description of what happened when you tried to restore your account; please include any errors you received.

Note: some people are able to restore their accounts, log in, and post, but their profiles are still not visible to other people, i.e., you get a bird page. You can test this by logging out and trying to view your profile as if you were another user. If this happens to you, please send us an email and let us know."
bigt
Twitter is great! I have not had any of the problems listed above, but I do verify every follower I get. As with anything I guess, there have been some malicious users lately. I don't let anyone follow me that has over a few hundred followers unless I know them in RL.

Twitter has been useful to me as well. Started slowly using it, and now I see the pretty cool idea behind it; easy, quick info disbursement. I see this being handy to many people. Alerts can be sent out. The possibilities are numerous.
Tony The Tiger
How does Twitter compare to Facebook.
misterXY
l've been on it for less then a month, but got the ropes of it:
if anyone needs help, tweet me for some help: steviewonder89 and tell me your from frihost Very Happy
misterXY
Tony The Tiger wrote:

sorry for double posting.
Twitter:
Mini blog, easier too get messages, very mobile, open source, some great firefox extentions
Facebook:
bloated now (hence why they needed a new layout, it was costing bandwidth), "games", close source, not as mobile.

Theres some more but l think it's brief enough.
Tony The Tiger
misterXY wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:

Twitter:
Mini blog, easier too get messages, very mobile, open source, some great firefox extentions
Facebook:
bloated now (hence why they needed a new layout, it was costing bandwidth), "games", close source, not as mobile.

Please explain why you feel that Twitter is more mobile than Facebook. Also why does it make messages easier to get. It seems that my facebook is sending me message notices to my email while my twitter is not. Also, what is the meaning of mini blog? I apologize for asking such basic questions, but I am very new to the technologies. Your advice is as important as getting experience through exposure and use. Please expand your explanations a little more for the benefit of a very novice user like myself.
misterXY
Tony The Tiger wrote:
misterXY wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:

Twitter:
Facebook:

Please explain why you feel that Twitter is more mobile than Facebook. Also why does it make messages easier to get. It seems that my facebook is sending me message notices to my email while my twitter is not. Also, what is the meaning of mini blog? I apologize for asking such basic questions, but I am very new to the technologies. Your advice is as important as getting experience through exposure and use. Please expand your explanations a little more for the benefit of a very novice user like myself.

you can get messages sent to ur email through twitter, but twitter uses SMS and handles it very well (150characters is quiet common in cellphones)
twitter can send messages too your phone on updates
blogs are.. well they're blogs beats me lol but just keeps things simpler. Simplest solutions are the best solutions Smile