FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Shoe side attack on Bush in Iraq

supernova1987a
Well its not as funny as the topic name sounds. Its an attack to the whole of america. Republican or Democrat, he is the president. I am seriously pissed off at what happened in iraq to bush. An iraqi threw his shoes at the president. what a shame. everyone should think at least once, whatever mistakes bush might have made he didnt deserve sth like that.
Bikerman
Err..the damage caused was what exactly? Being forced to move to one side.
The potential damage was what exactly? A shoe in the face and a possible bloody-nose. Meanwhile the journalist responsible has had his head kicked-about and his ribs broken.

How ironic that you think a shoe represents an attack on the whole of America - I think the journalist was making that exact point about Iraq....
shaybutta0
Quote:
The Iraqi journalist who hurled his shoes at President George W. Bush has won some hearts in neighboring Iran, where one cleric dubbed the act "the shoe intifada (rebellion)."

Palestinian journalists protest Thursday in support of shoe-throwing Muntadhar al-Zaidi.

"The shoe intifada in Iraq should not be overlooked easily," he said. "Well done to the Iraqi journalist for throwing the shoes at the U.S. president."

Speaking to worshipers at Tehran University, Jannati labeled the shoes "more valuable than crowns, medals and signs" and believes they should be place in an Iraqi museum.

The government of Iran and the United States have been bitter antagonists for decades. Watch Muntadhar al-Zaidi throw his shoes at Bush

Iran has opposed the U.S. presence and policies in Iraq and the United States has accused Iran of backing militants in Iraq.

Jannati said the U.S. was trapped in a quagmire in Iraq and didn't know what to do about it.

"The shoe hurling by the Iraqi journalist had many messages which the world received and the Iraqi people, too, held demonstrations afterwards. People should support the Iraqi journalist," said Jannati, who believes shoes should be regular props in the anti-U.S. demonstrations in Iran and Iraq.

The minister, Mohammad Mehdi Akhondzadeh, said it was similar sentiments that led Americans to elect Barack Obama president.

Neither of al-Zaidi's shoes hit Bush, and the journalist was knocked to the ground, hustled out of the room and arrested by security officials.

As he was pushed to the floor, the reporter shouted out that his shoe-throwing -- a traditional insult in Arab culture -- was a "farewell kiss" to a "dog" who launched the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

Source - http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/12/19/shoe.thrower.iraq.iran/index.html
[MOD - Use quote tags and cite your source(s), or official warnings will be issued - Bikerman]
ggrbgl
Venezuela's anti-U.S. President Hugo Chavez said that an Iraqi reporter who flung his shoes at U.S. President George W. Bush was courageous.

Chavez, who has himself hurled insults at the U.S. president over the years, said he was glad the shoes didn't hit Bush but smiled broadly during a video of the incident played during a cabinet meeting broadcast on Venezuela television.
deanhills
I think George Bush dealt quite diplomatically with the incident, he went up a few notches in my estimation given all the protocol blunders he has made in the past. I wish I could have been there as I can imagine his security guards must have got onto this Journalist pretty quickly.

For me Bush is a President of the US, and as such perhaps this can be taken in the same way as the burning of the US flag. Insulting the President of the US. But good that Bush did not allow it to grow into something like that as it would have set US Iraqi relations, at this sensitive stage of bargaining, completely backwards, and it was clearly not in the interest of Bush to make an issue of this.

Thinking about it, possibly if Iraq had not been invaded yet, and something like this had happened, possibly Bush and his media friends would have capitalized on this in completely the opposite way?
palavra
supernova1987a wrote:
Well its not as funny as the topic name sounds. Its an attack to the whole of america. Republican or Democrat, he is the president. I am seriously pissed off at what happened in iraq to bush. An iraqi threw his shoes at the president. what a shame. everyone should think at least once, whatever mistakes bush might have made he didnt deserve sth like that.

maybe it is not funny for americans but for the remain of the world it's extremely funny.

liljp617
I don't feel insulted nor attacked. The reporter's every right and he paid the consequences for his decision. Maybe, just maybe, he represented a portion of the Iraqi population that is obviously ignored.

Not the brightest idea I've ever seen from an individual and there are other ways he could have gotten his message across, but you're blowing it out of proportion...big time.

I suppose your of the opinion that the US President is immune to insults and should be supported no matter what because of his title?

ggrbgl wrote:
Venezuela's anti-U.S. President Hugo Chavez said that an Iraqi reporter who flung his shoes at U.S. President George W. Bush was courageous.

Chavez, who has himself hurled insults at the U.S. president over the years, said he was glad the shoes didn't hit Bush but smiled broadly during a video of the incident played during a cabinet meeting broadcast on Venezuela television.

As did a huge number of US citizens. What's your point?
deanhills
Just heard (TV News last night) that the company that manufactured the shoe that was used to throw at President Bush is making a fortune as the specific brand shoes are now selling like hot cakes in Iraq! They cannot keep up with demand Smile

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/iraqusmediabushshoescompanyoffbeat

I thought the article below was interesting (different point of view) and the one comment at the bottom of the article quite precious Smile

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2008/12/20081222151452457599.html
OpposableThumbs
Not sure what else to say. As symbols go, the shoe attack offers a fitting final image for a presidency that will be remembered as the the most incompetent, most uselessly macho, greediest, least informed, most fundamentalist, and most corrupt in American history. As I think about it, Bush is lucky it was just shoes. Shame on the man. On the plus side, I have high hopes for his successor.
SonLight
The shoe-throwing incident should be seen first and foremost as an example of free speech. It is a strong insult, not only to George Bush, but to America. It is our custom to allow people to express such opinions, and I am glad President Bush didn't make a big deal of it. I wish our government had stated clearly that they regarded the act as free speech, and showed sympathy for the thrower.

On the other hand, it was a physical attack, that was at least a potential threat. While that aspect cannot be eliminated, it should be minimized. I hope the Iraq government is free-speech oriented, and will encourage a minimum sentence, or perhaps settle for damage already done to the journalist, probably with a guilty or no-contest plea to a minimal assault charge.
liljp617
SonLight wrote:
The shoe-throwing incident should be seen first and foremost as an example of free speech. It is a strong insult, not only to George Bush, but to America. It is our custom to allow people to express such opinions, and I am glad President Bush didn't make a big deal of it. I wish our government had stated clearly that they regarded the act as free speech, and showed sympathy for the thrower.

On the other hand, it was a physical attack, that was at least a potential threat. While that aspect cannot be eliminated, it should be minimized. I hope the Iraq government is free-speech oriented, and will encourage a minimum sentence, or perhaps settle for damage already done to the journalist, probably with a guilty or no-contest plea to a minimal assault charge.

I thought about saying it was free speech/right to some form of protest, but isn't that line technically crossed when you are potentially causing physical harm to someone (of course, the harm it could have caused is nothing to be in uproar about, but the principle is still there)?
ocalhoun
liljp617 wrote:
but isn't that line technically crossed when you are potentially causing physical harm to someone (of course, the harm it could have caused is nothing to be in uproar about, but the principle is still there)?

It would make sense to put the line there for free 'speech'. Just as that very distinction is what differentiates between a peaceful assembly (a guaranteed right by the constitution) and a riot (illegal).
Bikerman
Yes, you have a point - I would not like to justify any potentially violent action on the grounds of free speech.
On the other hand, it is very easy for the authorities to disallow free speech on the grounds that it may cause harm to others. Meetings and assemblies can be banned because they might lead to violence all too easily.
Here in the UK Parliament passed a specific bill designed to outlaw the free speech of one anti-war protester who had set-up a camp outside the Palace of Westminster. It was (that new law, I mean), frankly, a disgrace and something all right-thinking citizens should be ashamed of. I say this as someone who actually disagrees with the motivation of this particular protester. Even though I find his religious 'agenda' wrong-headed, I object in the strongest possible terms to the move to silence him.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/blunkett-changes-law-to-evict-commons-antiwar-protester-531967.html

The bar should be set very high when considering legislation on these matters and citizens should be rightly suspicious of any attempt to impose restrictions by the executive. We have seen major erosions of civil liberties since 9/11 - both here in the UK and in the US. The excuse that this is a protection in a 'new world order' rings hollow to many (including me), since we have seen widespread abuse of anti-terror laws.
guissmo
I still find it funny as how the president's reflexes were so fast that he ducked just as the shoe, which was accelerating at a very fast speed) went in.

Anyway, it can be some sort of protest from Iraq and all. Maybe people have to think about it.
ocalhoun
guissmo wrote:
I still find it funny as how the president's reflexes were so fast that he ducked just as the shoe, which was accelerating at a very fast speed) went in.

Uh, once the shoe left the hand that threw it, it started to decelerate, as long as the laws of physics still worked in that room...
And I would have dodged something flying at me too.
nigam
It is shameful to look that an ordinary man threw his shoes to an extra ordinary man. it is funny to look at the same time...
paul_indo
I think it was a good way to protest against Bush. Better than car bombs and terrorism and actually quite funny as well.

I think Bush's response was also very appropriate and in keeping with the humor of the incident.

If only all the problems in Iraq and the whole world could be solved by throwing shoes and witty come backs this would be a much better world. Laughing Laughing
Klaw 2
Bush finnaly found the biological weapon he was looking for, sweaty shoes.

Anyway it's funny and you shouldn't take any offence.
hunnyhiteshseth
deanhills wrote:

Thinking about it, possibly if Iraq had not been invaded yet, and something like this had happened, possibly Bush and his media friends would have capitalized on this in completely the opposite way?

Nah, in that case he would not have had thrown shoe at all. War was the precise reason why he felt Bush was responsible for Iraq's misery.

P.S. : I wonder do americans also want to do just that for his bad policies and for whole financial mess that he has put US in?
ocalhoun
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

P.S. : I wonder do americans also want to do just that for his bad policies and for whole financial mess that he has put US in?

No, the president didn't put is in a financial mess, we put ourselves in one. Though people do like scapegoats.
hunnyhiteshseth
ocalhoun wrote:

No, the president didn't put is in a financial mess, we put ourselves in one.

err... so americans want to throw shoe on themselves?? Laughing Laughing

(Sorry mate, just joking. Dont take any offence)
ocalhoun
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

No, the president didn't put is in a financial mess, we put ourselves in one.

err... so americans want to throw shoe on themselves?? Laughing Laughing

Yeah, they deserve it.
*metaphorically throws shoe at general public*
... *thinks better of it*
*really throws shoe at general public*
deanhills
Klaw 2 wrote:
Bush finnaly found the biological weapon he was looking for, sweaty shoes.

Anyway it's funny and you shouldn't take any offence.

This is a good one Laughing
atul2242
very courageous journalist.... A not so decent non violent protest
themarine
I think he is a brave man.
atul2242
what a great pity - the poor man has been sentenced to 3 years of prison.
What a shame - He did what his heart felt
SonLight
atul2242 wrote:
what a great pity - the poor man has been sentenced to 3 years of prison.
What a shame - He did what his heart felt

Indeed, it seems most unfortunate that the sentence was so severe when the man's primary purpose was an act of free speech. George Bush himself no doubt admired the man's sentiments, and respected the fact that no one should be above receiving a heart-felt insult. Unfortunately it was also a physical attack, and that could hardly be ignored. A sentence of perhaps six months in prison might be considered necessary to insure that other officials did not have to worry about objects being thrown at them. If the journalist had aimed to the side, so there was no danger of harm to President Bush, then I believe it would have been appropriate to let him go free.
deanhills
I think the judge had a difficult decision to make. If there would have been no sentence, perhaps this would have given those who have differences with foreign Government dignataries the right to throw them with all kinds of things. Perhaps there needed to be a discouragement of this behaviour. No doubt there will be an appeal, and perhaps he will not serve the whole sentence, but at least there will have been a deterrent of this for future. Within the circumstances of this specific incidence it was received by the President graciously, but as something possibly that was very much of a surprise. Perhaps the sentencing will assist in keeping it a surprise, rather than becoming a frequent occurrence in future. Question
atul2242
A bronze shoe monument has been erected in the northern city of Tikrit, January 2009 after an Iraqi court has jailed for three years the journalist who threw his shoes at former US president George W. Bush.
deanhills
atul2242 wrote:
A bronze shoe monument has been erected in the northern city of Tikrit, January 2009 after an Iraqi court has jailed for three years the journalist who threw his shoes at former US president George W. Bush.

This is pretty amazing. Wonder whose idea it was?

Quite awesome, it was built by an orphanage:
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/01/29/iraq.shoe.monument/index.html
atul2242
Thanks for the picture deanhills.
Razz
deanhills
atul2242 wrote:
Thanks for the picture deanhills.
Razz
Thanks also to you Atul2242 for picking up on the article. Really interesting. Smile
atul2242
Just read that the man is out on bail, Hooray!!!
deanhills
atul2242 wrote:
Just read that the man is out on bail, Hooray!!!
Did it take all that time for him to finally get out on bail? I thought he would have been out almost immediately until after the trial. Poor guy!