FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Has Physics changed your life?

Da Rossa
Lets talk about it.

Many people, the younger in particular, don't like Physics here in Brazil. They say it's "too dificult" and "unnecessary" for their lives. Let's not talk about the obvious things that the Physics discoveries have done for your comfort in the last century just to talk about 100 years, I mean the actuall classes you've had.

I always loved Physics. In high school specially. Then I joined UnB, University of Brasília, and started the graduation in Physics. It's a fascinating thing. My intelligence went through the roof, seriously. I learnt how to think abstractly, in situations that we cannot see in the dayle experience, I upgraded my Math capabilities and so on. Also, I learnt how a University is like.

But the course didn't flow smooth for me. In early semesters I was already late; my friends were having advanced quantum Physics and Classical Mechanics while I was still in the basic Physics 3, studying (or trying to) Eletromagnetism.

But I failed several times. I even got expelled from the institution for bad marks. I did the exam again, passed again, and started over. But it was no different.

It ended up me "wasting" 5 years of my youth; while my friends that followed other areas were already making their cash, I joined the... law school this year. Now I'm flowing, but I feel that the time spent before was a big injury.

The idea of this topic is to learn about your experiences with Physics, even if it was the quickest one, and, with some luck, to find new reasons to tell it wasn't a wasted time in my life.
thetinyclam
To be honest, I never enjoyed Physics. lol... I wanted to do computer engineering but I felt that I wouldn't be able to put myself through all those Physics courses. As such, I opted out for a Mathematics/Economics degree with a minor in CS. Ironic isn't it... since there are a bunch of Physics applications for any calculus class.

After a while, I realized that I couldn't run away from it forever and finally came to terms with myself. I remember opening my old Physics reader and doing the examples to prepare myself for a multi-variable calculus midterm. It didn't help very much, but I kind of enjoyed them since they were so easy lol, and I realized that if I only a bit more patient with the concepts and studied a bit harder it wouldn'tve been so bad.

Anyway, unlike you, Physics kind of prevented me from going into my field of choice, but unlike the school system in Brasil, I was able to change majors after a year and held onto my credits. I think the important part here is not to hold any regret over the topic, regardless of how it affected us. We suffered, we learned, now it's time to move on =].
deanhills
To me physics is something that you have to have been born for. It is something that you are either a natural for, or not at all. You have to have superior intelligence for it, and the ability of simplicity. For me it is a gift, like music. Has to be in your genes.

PS: Congrats Da Rossa on reaching 1000 postings!
Da Rossa
Thank you!! Very Happy

But I believe there is a mid-term. I can undestand it, but not go deep under the hood. The problem is to get the entire logic and the fundamentals.
deanhills
Da Rossa wrote:
Thank you!! Very Happy

But I believe there is a mid-term. I can undestand it, but not go deep under the hood. The problem is to get the entire logic and the fundamentals.

You have put it better and I agree Da Rossa. It is something in logic and fundamentals that are either there or not there. Maybe your kind of logic is better suited for a lawyer, and what is better for a lawyer is not really good for a physicist. At least you tried though, and you must have tried very hard to have stuck with it for such a long period of time.
Da Rossa
Well, I meant that.. I can understand way better than average people, actually I coursed it for 4 and a half years. There's no way I could stay way from the knowledge. But this knowledge contain layers, and, although I knew the fundamentals, I needed to make more efforts to go deeper. And this was contaminated by a "downplay", a feeling of incapacity to do it. This was the ruin.

But I must tell that, incredibly, the Physics course gave me a broad view of how things work. Natural sciences are more difficult to study than the human sciences, and I'm feeling particularly no difficulty at all in the law school. I would even say that the Physics course was a essential to do it: while fooling around in there, I discovered this site, then I learnt some things about web hosting, had a long free time.... then, I became able to construct this powerful tool:
http://www.darossa.frih.net/notas.html
Which I'm proud of. It's hard work, but made me get top marks in all subjects.
Liques
Physics is nice... but only today I know it.

In the school, physics was for me just nice to learn, but unnecessary.

Today, I need physics to do things almost everyday.
Da Rossa
Liques wrote:
Physics is nice... but only today I know it.

In the school, physics was for me just nice to learn, but unnecessary.

Today, I need physics to do things almost everyday.

Please tell us some examples of things you do during the day you need Physics.
Liques
Da Rossa wrote:
Please tell us some examples of things you do during the day you need Physics.

I'm a game programmer. Nowadays I make more complex games, in 3D. So, almost everything need be calculated. Smile
Tadtoad
I loved physics in high school especially when it came to motion, electricity and electromagnets. I remember scribbling and drawing things on pieces of paper imagining "What if...". Too bad college physic has to do with more calculations than I'd like, so I went for computer science instead.

Maybe someday i'll go into robotics or something who knows.
jabce85
YES! i can't look at anything like i used to without constantly analyzing everything.. especially with heat transfer stuff... hah
Afaceinthematrix
I like physics. I like science in general. But I like mathematics much more. Science is very useful and interesting, but I like the theory much more in it. I'm not a huge fan of going to the lab. But I think that's just because all I've taken so far is low level science classes where I know what's going to happen before walking into the lab every Thursday morning. I suppose that if I was in higher level science, I would enjoy the labs more. I want to take some more science (advanced science) before leaving the university with my degree in mathematics.
carlospro7
Currently, I am taking physics courses. I am taking the second class of three classes. Before I took the first course I was nervous about it because I was afraid of the difficulty, but I have to take it because of my computer science major. I ended up enjoying that physics class even though I bombed the final. Luckily my midterm went really well, and I always did the homework so I still passed.

During that first course, my way of thinking about the world immediately changed, and it was strange because I noticed it as it was happening. Ironically, I don't like mathematics by itself, but I do like physics because, to me, it feels like the math has a purpose. Anyway, I think physics is fun
Dean_The_Great
I loved physics in high school. It was math that had a clear purpose, and I stuck to that. Now, the physics is involved in my life when I have to do lifts in dance, or when the speed of sound becomes an issue in large auditoriums... that kind of thing.
ParsaAkbari
Personally i think physics is very intresting and inportant.. and i like it.

But thats my opinion.
Xanatos
Physics is awesome! But I am biased being a physics major and all. Read my signature.
pmehta51
Humm….This is good question. Brilliant question?
Definitely. And I will say it must have changed all those people’s life who takes physics seriously. If all of us honestly think about what physics really is, than it is definitely going affect our life. Physics is nothing but rules that describes how things work in world. Like theory of gravity. The rule was existed forever but was just discovered by scientists. I think these rules are created buy someone really really brilliant entity. I mean think about it, if it is so hard to just understand how hard it will be to make. And there is so much uniformity in all those rules. So I will say after studying physics my belief for existence of God become stronger.
Xanatos
pmehta51 wrote:
I mean think about it, if it is so hard to just understand how hard it will be to make. And there is so much uniformity in all those rules. So I will say after studying physics my belief for existence of God become stronger.

Yeah because universal physical constants like those found here are completely uniform and rational.If I was God E-naught would be 1. I mean 8.854 187 817... × 10−12 F·m−1? seriously?
bloodrider
For me it changed the away I think things. Sometimes I see myself understanding day-a-day things in a physic way Laughing
Cove
I took physics in high school and surprisingly enjoyed it. I always hated science, but physics was the one exception. Now I'm majoring in electrical engineering and I'll be taking calc based physics next year!
deanhills
Cove wrote:
I took physics in high school and surprisingly enjoyed it. I always hated science, but physics was the one exception. Now I'm majoring in electrical engineering and I'll be taking calc based physics next year!

Sounds pretty awesome Cove. Good luck with the calc based physics. I studied science at school and have not done much of studying in that area afterwards, more on the arts side of things, but this is a completely new insight for me that someone who hates science would like physics. I always thought they were much of the same, except physics is much better. What is it about science that you do not like in preference to physics?
Cove
Well I guess it's just because physics seems more math based. I'm good at math so I get a better hold on physics and stuff. Bio and chem were more (if one can describe it like this) natural world based. It took me a lot longer to get a hold of that kind of stuff, where as the concepts of physics came pretty easy to me.
gcaughill
Da Rossa wrote:
Lets talk about it.

Many people, the younger in particular, don't like Physics here in Brazil. They say it's "too dificult" and "unnecessary" for their lives. Let's not talk about the obvious things that the Physics discoveries have done for your comfort in the last century just to talk about 100 years, I mean the actuall classes you've had.

I always loved Physics. In high school specially. Then I joined UnB, University of Brasília, and started the graduation in Physics. It's a fascinating thing. My intelligence went through the roof, seriously. I learnt how to think abstractly, in situations that we cannot see in the dayle experience, I upgraded my Math capabilities and so on. Also, I learnt how a University is like.

But the course didn't flow smooth for me. In early semesters I was already late; my friends were having advanced quantum Physics and Classical Mechanics while I was still in the basic Physics 3, studying (or trying to) Eletromagnetism.

But I failed several times. I even got expelled from the institution for bad marks. I did the exam again, passed again, and started over. But it was no different.

It ended up me "wasting" 5 years of my youth; while my friends that followed other areas were already making their cash, I joined the... law school this year. Now I'm flowing, but I feel that the time spent before was a big injury.

The idea of this topic is to learn about your experiences with Physics, even if it was the quickest one, and, with some luck, to find new reasons to tell it wasn't a wasted time in my life.

That's too bad, I hope you stick with it and get your degree. After you can find a related 'practical' field like computer science and then work in that field.
chatrack
Hi,

I was not good in maths, but i like physics.
Maths i studied in high school, where realy understood only when i reached degree level.
Physics can be better stuied with life examples.

Give students as many examples and simple experiments with physics.

This will make physics easy for them and they will not froget it even long after exam

--.--.--.--

Finding Location of CHAT BUDDY is very simple with http://www.chatrack.frihost.net
soljarag
Last summer I had to take Physics II (college) and yes it changed my life during that time.... Thats all I had time for the entire 2 months....

I liked Physics I ALOT better
youandmephotography
Sadly as much as I hate physics, it really does help expand one's knowledge of the working world (and why things do what they do).

Actually, certain topics with physics are really enjoyable: others just don't click with my learning style.

I like to think of it as a hit or miss subject, either you love it or you hate it. But there is a medium, if you consider the course as a whole rather than individual chapters / topics.
deanhills
I don't think all people have the knack for physics. I sometimes find that those who are more intelligent along brilliant lines are naturals for physics. That does not mean that other people are dumb, but it is usually people who have an aptitude for math and science who do well with it. It takes an uncluttered mind with plenty of focus and an aptitude for calculations.

Similarly, people who are into physics, may or may not be into arts. Different strokes for different folks Smile
Radar
Considering that up until recently, I planned on doing a Physics major, and indeed, was most of the way towards completing it, I think physics has had an impact on me. 'Changed my life' though is rather strong.

I do appreciate the increased knowledge of the world that it gives, but at the same time I think I struggle to extrapolate from the knowledge taught and to visualise things in the real world.
ptpmonitor
Well, physics was easy to me when i was at school. but when i entered into collage life, i find that physics started becoming harder. So, when i took admission in university, instead of physics I took mathematics. But still it is my minor subject and very hard.
Crinoid
I went through the both stages: considering it difficult and no more difficult than, say languages or social studies. The good teacher makes all the difference (and the person who chose to hire the bad one over the good one).
Married the physicist. Naturally, there are no jobs for people with this kind of education. This is like biology or history: you pay for education, study hard for 5 years of your life, now time to pay for your living - and you your education can't help you even a little bit, even opposite.
I wish if one had information about prospects of employment before enrolling, not just not typical promoted exceptions from the main trend.
eltongeorge
Not only in Physics, it seems that Science topics giving most people an impression of "hobby".

Nowadays seems that most people are just focusing on Finance, Economic....etc better than Science subject.... but what I understand is that, all of the business related subjects are supported by Science.... why the people like the business than Science ?
Auctus
Physics has changed my life. After all, where would I be without gravity?
Chinmoy
ya, physics keeps on happening in my life but i do not really care if it makes of breaks my life. If there is anything that physics and i can control together, i would take control. Physics can at the most help me understand how things work, but eventually, i am doing those things. Physics can never change my life. It can just be with my life.