FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Fortis Bank: How legal is Government Bail-Outs of Banks?

deanhills
Does anyone know anything more about Fortis Bank? I have some basic information that they landed in trouble because of taking over ABN Amro. It used to be a Belgium Bank and the main Bank was bought out by the Netherlands Government when the Banking crisis struck. There is now a great dispute between the shareholders (in Belgium) and the Netherlands Government regarding ownership of Fortis Bank.

I am in the process of opening a Banking Account with Fortis Bank and was told by the Bank that it was safe as it is owned by the Netherlands Government. I thought that it could not get more safe than that, but then given that this global banking crisis is relatively new, perhaps there could be another newby in store in the world with shareholders disputing Government interventions of these bail-outs?

So if someone is in the know would welcome more details. How legally sound are these Government bail-outs from an ownership point of view? If I should open a banking account with Fortis Bank, what trouble could I run into if there is a large court case and the Netherlands Government looses the case?