FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

BLINKERS People!?!#$!

bigt
Yeah, sorry driving makes me angry. My latest "run in", hehe, with sorry drivers was this morning. A truck was slowing down for no reason and did not use a blinker. The truck looked as though it would turn right, so the vehicle behind went to pass that truck. Then the truck turns left and the two vehicles almost collide.

Sorry, to rant and complain. Don't be a bad driver! Smile
Afaceinthematrix
I use my blinkers about 25% of the time. I only use them if my actions are going to affect another driver. So I'll use them if I'm going to slow down to turn, so that they know why I'm slowing down. I'll use them if they're trying to turn onto the street that I'm driving on if I'm turning before I reach them (so that they know it's safe to turn and they don't have to wait for me). But I won't use one if I'm changing lanes in front of no one, the road is empty, etc.
deanhills
I use blinkers all the time, sort of instinctively. If I go into a right lane or turn right, whether there is someone around or not, my hand just automatically push up the lever to activate my right blinker. I sometimes feel foolish on account of it when no one is around. Think another instinctive ingrained habit is to look in my rear-mirror almost continuously, as well as checking people around me. I do not know whether you find it too, but certain cars drive certain ways. For example Toyota Pick-up Trucks in the UAE inevitably do strange things. I always try and keep well out of their way. Think instincts have saved me this way in many instances. I do not know whether this has happened to you but sometimes I just have a feeling about a driver, and then act according to it, i.e. that he is not going to stop at a traffic light, or he is going to stop at breaking speed when I am directly behind him. That kind of thing.
Futile
^I am with you dean. I always use my blinkers the same way and I am constantly checkinig all of my mirrors. You never can predict what the other drive is doing, thinking or even if they are paying attention. You have to drive for both them and you.
Magicman
I always use my blinkers even if there's no one anywhere near me. It is totally instinctive for me. Its always important to use blinkers because you don't know what the other drivers are thinking. It is always irritating when people misuse their blinkers.
wellerchap
I've ridden a Lambretta for 25 years now, and don't own a car.....the good thing that comes from being an experienced 2-wheeler is we learn to anticipate what a lot of you 4-wheel drivers are going to do, even before you've done it....experience & thinking faster than the average car driver, has kept me safe on more than one occasion!
ankitdatashn
i use blinkers almost 100 pecent of the time. Am so used to it that sometime when in college campus I turn for the parking I use blinkers, haha, funny cases but yeah thats some automated nervous system doing its work.

Also i guess we all should use it as it is not only safe for us but also for others to and helps us not to repent later.
Insanity
It's good to get into the habit of flicking your blinkers on whenever you turn, regardless of whether there are people around you or not; it helps in the future so you don't even have to think about it. Plus, it's a way to alert people as to what you're doing, especially if you're trying to change lanes. If you don't flick your blinkers, people don't know you want to cut into the lane and won't give you the needed space. Of course, people are also jerks and will not give you space regardless.
sana618
well i guess that most of us have been ingrained in certain safety measures, and do it instintively, like turning on the blinkers or looking in the side or rear view mirrors. i especially am very careful wen i'm
going to Abu Dhabi, people on that road drive so very fast regardless of the speed limit or even the rader camares..... that turning on the blinkers while changing the lanes is a must which some idiots just forget to do so. if we are not careful accidents happen. better be careful then suffer for no mistake of ours....
scriptedsymphony
I cannot correctly answer this thread since I do not drive yet ( Mad ) but I have seen cases where people just forget about their blinkers and turn, and then a driver will honk and they'll honk back, and then suddenly the highway is like a flock of geese.

Well, maybe not exactly like that. But you get my point. Cool
hlavco
I put on my blinkers for any turn or lane change, and I put them on waaay early. I hate when people don't use them, because they're the only way other drivers (and pedestrians, too) have to predict what someone is about to do.

One time on the highway I accidentally forgot to turn my blinker off after a lane change... it was then that I found out that my truck has a sound that comes on after you've had your blinker on for too long. It's a pretty neat feature, I think.
Donutey
I would suggest to always use them, that way when you do actually need to use them (in order to show another driver you are turning, you don't forget.

Also, I really have an issue with a few of the drivers in my town who don't turn on their lights when it's foggy. I almost got side-swipped by a GRAY mini-van without it's lights on.
mwsupra
I've gotten into a habit of using them all the time. Not only because it prevents accidents but its one less thing a cop can pull you over for.
standready
It is a very good habit to use signals all the time.
Arty
Do people still use hand signals?
Lady Elensar
Err, it's like normal don't using blinkers in the USA? Confused Well, even when there is nobody on the road, you should always use them - it should be self-evident (if this is the right word to use). I don't even think about don't using them. Why should I. This laziness not moving the blinker-thing is stupid, in my opinion.
Kaseas
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I use my blinkers about 25% of the time. I only use them if my actions are going to affect another driver. So I'll use them if I'm going to slow down to turn, so that they know why I'm slowing down. I'll use them if they're trying to turn onto the street that I'm driving on if I'm turning before I reach them (so that they know it's safe to turn and they don't have to wait for me). But I won't use one if I'm changing lanes in front of no one, the road is empty, etc.

Hmm, but for me I use them all the time (even when backing into my driveway) just to form a habit.
isnawan
Kaseas wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

Hmm, but for me I use them all the time (even when backing into my driveway) just to form a habit.

same with me brooo
watersoul
I use my blinkers automatically without even thinking all the time. Even if there isn't another vehicle around I still use them in case someone walking might step out without knowing where I'm going.
Here in the UK they're called "indicators" and yep indicating where you're going has gotta be the way forward, like I said though its just natural to me now, guess it's been brainwashed into me since my driving lessons years ago!

Smile
Zombie
I dont use my blinkiers... I dont like people to know what im thinking
Afaceinthematrix
Kaseas wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

Most people are like that. That's why most people tend to use them all the time out of a force of habit. But I think very carefully about every action that I'm about to before I do it and one of the things that generally goes through my head is "should I signal?"