FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Liar of the year award. And the winner is...

handfleisch
Sean Hannity. The organization politely uses the term "Misinformer". Check out the long list of his more flagrant lies, all familiar right wing talking points from 2008:

http://mediamatters.org/items/200812170007?src=misinformer-2

There is also this interesting note in the comments from some rational Republicans:
Quote:
I belong to a group of moderate to liberal Republicans who have continued to be registered Republicans. However, since we are all professional, thinking people, we meet every month to discuss politics. The major reason we all voted for Obama is due to the fact that our group did fact checking of the Hannity tirades and his distortions alone pushed us into the Democratic fold. 37 ex Republicans voted for Obam simply because we had met every week and our memebers each brought a fact check report. I am sure we are not the only moderate Republican who were pushed into the Democratic fold but the absolute dishonesty of these silly people who tried to destroy Obama with a bunch of lies gave us a big PUSH! So thanks Shaun, Singlehandedly you and your cohorts helped a bunch of life-long moderate Republicans work and give money to elect Obama!!!! Next time, Shaun, try a bit of honesty if you want to challenge folks - who are bright enough to fact check - to vote for your candidate.
gandalfthegrey
As much as I despise Sean Hannity, I think there are much worse examples of lying in this world of ours this year.

Off the top of my head... Eliot Spitzer. Rod Blagojevich.
jwellsy
Barry Hussein has already told more intentional lies in the last year than Bush did in the last eight.
handfleisch
gandalfthegrey wrote:
As much as I despise Sean Hannity, I think there are much worse examples of lying in this world of ours this year.

Possibly you are right. This organization focuses on lying media representatives, not politicians. Though I think Hannity would still swamp Blago just from the sheer weight of his BS.
lagoon
Any right wing hate radio host spouts enough BS to win this award.
GLOBALSTRATEGY
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
lyndonray
You have to love Sean Hannity! Come on, how could you not! The lies with a straight face and actually comes pretty close to convincing you. Until, that is, you remember who it you are actually listening to!! Fox is a serious joke! Too bad it took Alan Colmes so long to come to that realisation. The right is congested with moron and idiots (Rush, Coulter, Dobson, need I go on) It is a wonder these people are still given airtime!! But then I guess its America and anything can and most probably will happen!!! At least there is MSNBC to somewhat counterbalance!!!
OpposableThumbs
This and every year for eight years. Sorry: it just had to be said.
Moonspider
lyndonray wrote:
It is a wonder these people are still given airtime!!

Probably because Fox on the whole has higher ratings than CNN, NBC, MSNBC, CBS...

Respectfully,
M
liljp617
gandalfthegrey wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. I'm finding it hard to think of a lot of people who need to be trusted more than the mainstream media anchors (and that goes for all of them). A man who anchors a widely watched "news" show on one of the most watched "news" networks in the US....I think that's really damn important, specifically in an election year.

jwellsy wrote:
Barry Hussein has already told more intentional lies in the last year than Bush did in the last eight.

Please do enlighten us....

Posts like these are why I feel you have zero credibility in these forums. Nothing against you, but every post you make is exaggerated and most of time false/unbacked by anything. (I don't expect you to respond to this, because I know you have absolutely nothing to back up your statement.....nothing)
Moonspider
liljp617 wrote:
A man who anchors a widely watched "news" show on one of the most watched "news" networks in the US....I think that's really damn important, specifically in an election year.

Hannity does not anchor a news show. He hosts an opinionated talk show.

Respectfully,
M
deanhills
Moonspider wrote:

Respectfully,
M

Smile Good point! I did some searches on him, and landed with a spoof on Wikipedia, called Dickipedia and Hannity seems to have been selected for it:

http://www.dickipedia.org/dick.php?title=Sean_Hannity

While we are on the topic, what would you consider a good anchor to be? Which anchors do you have a special admiration for?

I like Jim Lehrer, but then I like PBS style.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/aboutus/bio_lehrer.html
liljp617
Moonspider wrote:
liljp617 wrote:
A man who anchors a widely watched "news" show on one of the most watched "news" networks in the US....I think that's really damn important, specifically in an election year.

Respectfully,
M

The fact is he is very heavily influencing people on his show on one of the most watched news networks on television. What he says needs to be truthful or I have no problem with him being labeled a liar. Opinion or not, he holds a great responsibility to inform people truthfully or at least be sure his opinions are not blatant lies.
Moonspider
Are you claiming "Media Matters" is a fair and unbiased source of information? Their purpose is to discredit the statements of conservatives in the media, not to monitor the media as a whole for discrepancies. So of course they are going to chip away at anything conservatives in the media say. That is the purpose of their existence!

Hannity supported the Republican ticket, therefore during the campaign he would surely be expected to spin Obama's statements, promises, etc. in order to make the Republican ticket look better, just as Obama supporters, like yourself, would spin anything said by McCain and Republican supporters. So don't try to make it look like everyone on the right are blatant liars while liberals walk on air with halos hovering about their heads. It isn't true. Everyone has different opinions, belief systems, and perceptions, and everything they see and hear is filtered through these lenses. Therefore, just as no two witnesses to the same event see the same thing, no two people perceive someone's positions or statements exactly the same.

Let's look at the falsehoods from the article you cited:

1. Obama will "invade" Pakistan
    Media Matters is splitting hairs here. Obama said "If we have actionable intelligence about high-value terrorist targets and President Musharraf won't act, we will." Hannity's statement, while not an accurate quote, underlies what Obama said, that he would attack targets in Pakistan without the consent of the Pakistani president. That is an invasion of a country's airspace at least, since the United States would be violating a sovereign nation without permission.
  2. "Air-raiding villages"
    The accuracy of Obama's statement is moot. The point is what he said, taken at face value: "We've got to get the job done there and that requires us to have enough troops so that we're not just air-raiding villages and killing civilians, which is causing enormous pressure over there."
    At face value, he stated that the United States military was intentionally killing civilians by air-raiding villages. Air raids always have a military target, even if it turns out that there was no target there and we only succeeded in killing civilians by accident. A president handles that in private diplomatic channels, especially in a Fourth Generation War where media coverage is as important and most often more important than military and intelligence operations. Furthermore, the pilot(s), target planners, and others involved in the operation do not need to know that and carry that guilt with them. They're under enough stress as it is. There is no profit in laying that weight upon them if they made no mistakes in the execution of the operation if it can be avoided. (Making preventable mistakes that cost innocent lives should be punished, of course.) And imagine how the troops in Afghanistan felt to hear a potential future President stating that they were doing nothing more than "air-raiding villages and killing civilians."
  3. Most Liberal Senator
    Okay, I like the Poole and Lewis surveys more than the one cited by Hannity. But the fact remains that Hannity's source did claim that Obama was the most liberal senator, making it good ammunition to use against him. (http://nj.nationaljournal.com/voteratings/)
  4. Defense Spending
    Laughing ROFL (literally when I read that!) Talk about splitting hairs! I'm still laughing! That's classic.
  5. Attacks on Obama's family, associations
    I'll just go with the Farrakhan issue here. I think Hannity's suggestion was that if a predominantly white or all white church of which a Republican candidate was a member gave an award to a white supremacist but the Republican chose to remain a member, that candidate's political career would be over. Would it not?
  6. GOP mouthpiece
    You think? He's a conservative commentator! Of course he's going to be a mouthpiece for the GOP in an election year. Liberal commentators aren't mouthpieces for the Democratic party in election years?

I'll leave the rest, but I think I made my point. If not, so be it. The bed beckons...

Before I go though, what's up with that comment afterward? "Moderate to liberal Republicans?" I just can't fathom how anyone who saw a need to register as a Republican finds enough common ground with a candidate like Obama to vote for him. The statement is what it is, of course. But really, I assume that to register as a Republican, they found that they have more in common with Republicans than Democrats. So I just don't understand why they'd vote for Obama. He's not exactly center to right of the Democratic spectrum.

Respectfully,
M