FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Internet Explorer "hacked"

truespeed
Quote:
Users of Microsoft's Internet Explorer are being urged by experts to switch to a rival until a serious security flaw has been fixed.

The flaw in Microsoft's Internet Explorer could allow criminals to take control of people's computers and steal their passwords, internet experts say.

Microsoft urged people to be vigilant while it investigated and prepared an emergency patch to resolve it.

Internet Explorer is used by the vast majority of the world's computer users.

"Microsoft is continuing its investigation of public reports of attacks against a new vulnerability in Internet Explorer," said the firm in a security advisory alert about the flaw.

Microsoft says it has detected attacks against IE 7.0 but said the "underlying vulnerability" was present in all versions of the browser.

Other browsers, such as Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Safari, are not vulnerable to the flaw Microsoft has identified.

Browser bait

"In this case, hackers found the hole before Microsoft did," said Rick Ferguson, senior security advisor at Trend Micro. "This is never a good thing."

As many as 10,000 websites have been compromised since the vulnerability was discovered, he said.

"What we've seen from the exploit so far is it stealing game passwords, but it's inevitable that it will be adapted by criminals," he said. "It's just a question of modifying the payload the trojan installs."

Said Mr Ferguson: "If users can find an alternative browser, then that's good mitigation against the threat."

But Microsoft counselled against taking such action.

"I cannot recommend people switch due to this one flaw," said John Curran, head of Microsoft UK's Windows group.

He added: "We're trying to get this resolved as soon as possible.

"At present, this exploit only seems to affect 0.02% of internet sites," said Mr Curran. "In terms of vulnerability, it only seems to be affecting IE7 users at the moment, but could well encompass other versions in time."

Richard Cox, chief information officer of anti-spam body The Spamhaus Project and an expert on privacy and cyber security, echoed Trend Micro's warning.

"It won't be long before someone reverse engineers this exploit for more fraudulent purposes. Trend Mico's advice [of switching to an alternative web browser] is very sensible," he said.

PC Pro magazine's security editor, Darien Graham-Smith, said that there was a virtual arms race going on, with hackers always on the look out for new vulnerabilities.

"The message needs to get out that this malicious code can be planted on any web site, so simple careful browsing isn't enough."

"It's a shame Microsoft have not been able to fix this more quickly, but letting people know about this flaw was the right thing to do. If you keep flaws like this quiet, people are put at risk without knowing it."

"Every browser is susceptible to vulnerabilities from time to time. It's fine to say 'don't use Internet Explorer' for now, but other browsers may well find themselves in a similar situation," he added.

MICROSOFT SECURITY ADVICE
Change IE security settings to high (Look under Tools/Internet Options)
Switch to a Windows user account with limited rights to change a PC's settings
With IE7 or 8 on Vista turn on Protected Mode
Ensure your PC is updated
Keep anti-virus and anti-spyware software up to date

Link: The BBC
mwsupra
Thanks for the heads up. Although I haven't used IE in years (with the exception of IETab in Firefox for old stubborn sites)
pll
Every single public software will be hacked at sometime.
There's nothing perfect and there is always a little bug or something people can use to do something else with it...

But it's nice because it gets the software comapnies (Microsoft this time) to update their products Very Happy
SpellcasterDX
Ha it's obvious MS techies are mad that TrendMicro and other sites are advising users to use another browser.

This (and many other reasons) are why I use Mozilla Firefox everyday, ever since I was first introduced to it.

I suppose it's good that they at least let us know about it. For those who do use IE.
dude_xyx
I got totally addicted to firefox while age. I wonder how this doesn't happen to firefox and other browsers.
Arty
I've always used firefox. Smile
lethaltriad
I saw that in a blog a while ago. Havent used IE in years now. Been using firefox ever since.. only thing I don't like with the new fox is the location bar system where it searches all your previous history and bookmarks while you type in an address and it takes forever to load up. All browsers and systems though once popular usually gets compromised.. just once the company fixes the problem as soon as it can and deliver the fixes. Kudos to ms for the fixes for their users.
vineeth
SpellcasterDX wrote:
Ha it's obvious MS techies are mad that TrendMicro and other sites are advising users to use another browser.

This (and many other reasons) are why I use Mozilla Firefox everyday, ever since I was first introduced to it.

I suppose it's good that they at least let us know about it. For those who do use IE.

Yes, there is a good side for everything.

I am not using IE except to check my website on it to ensure compatibility issues and trust me, from the day I shifted from IE to Firefox, I can see about 95% decrease in virus attacks and frequent re-installations...
friuser
Internet explorer is the worst in virus. The activex thing is a dangerous thing. Great for the news channel to install software for you to watch current shows but leaves you wide open to installing trojans and viruses. Takes less than 30 seconds to get to a bad site. Bad site as in compromised where you go visit every day like a forum and BAM. I think most people will fall for the random fake virus protection ads to allow them to access the internet or worst.

I have 3 virus scanners on just because internet explorer sucks and alot of the large companies only support them.
Hogwarts
BBC article wrote:
new vulnerability in Internet Explorer

When they report on articles like this is almost makes me wonder why they don't report that the sun rose today.

dude_xyx wrote:
I got totally addicted to Firefox while age. I wonder how this doesn't happen to Firefox and other browsers.

The makers aren't closed-source like Microsoft
Daniel15
This must be a massive vulnerability... It was all over news sites today, and was on the news on TV as well.
Is there any public information about the vulnerability yet?

dude_xyx wrote:
I got totally addicted to Firefox while age. I wonder how this doesn't happen to Firefox and other browsers.

A lot of other browsers are open-source, so anybody can find the bugs in them.
As for Opera, it's closed-source, but security is one of their main focuses (Opera focus on security, speed, and awesome new features that other browsers eventually copy - They invented tabbed browsing. Razz)
killerqueen
pll wrote:
There's nothing perfect and there is always a little bug or something people can use to do something else with it...

But it's nice because it gets the software comapnies (Microsoft this time) to update their products Very Happy

Ditto that. And I would like to add, tha ? don't use firefox because it consumes a lot of RAM memory. At least it does in my computer... Rolling Eyes.
deanhills
I am curious as to the source of this news report. I saw it on the opening page of Yahoo, however wonder whether this might be a marketing ploy? Full-out attack on Microsoft vulnerability Question
mrcool
I have been using firefox as well as internet explorer...yes, it is very annoying when another page pop up...that was I thought that they're been hacked...they haven't updated IE yet i think...
sondosia
Doesn't surprise me. I don't understand why people still use this outdated piece of crap, especially in schools and corporations where a virus or hack could be very destructive.
Gonzalo
For real, up to this point, who dares to use IE for browsing the web. You will get infected using any software up to this point, but there is an interesting percentage of chances to avoid getting busted by the everyday auto install trash taking in consideration Firefox or some of the solid kind.

To take it further, I believe that the only, in truth, reliable thing to do to be safe around these days is to shut your pc off, unplug it and have a cup of tea. Have always in mind and remember to keep your valuable information in other data keep format other than your hard disk. Never let probability triumph over you, outsmart chances. Look at OS reinstalls face to face and laugh.
truespeed
Patch
standready
Thanks for the "heads up"!
SpellcasterDX
killerqueen wrote:
pll wrote:

Ditto that. And I would like to add, tha ? don't use firefox because it consumes a lot of RAM memory. At least it does in my computer... Rolling Eyes.

It doesn't seem to use much on my PC. It seems to run just fine. Nothing slow or whatever. Only thing that takes a while is for it to open, but even that is only a minute or so.
Seiji
I don't even use IE anymore, unless I'm using it in Firefox for clubbox. Its about time people move on to other browsers, there has been so many new ones out and better too. Microsoft needs to get with it because there losing to other competition.
Nick2008
sondosia wrote:
Doesn't surprise me. I don't understand why people still use this outdated piece of crap, especially in schools and corporations where a virus or hack could be very destructive.

Also doesn't surprise me, why do people use this piece of crap anyways?

Go Firefox and other mozilla-based browsers!
Vladalf
I usually use IE because my firefox starts really really slow but on the other hand, it moves fast between tabs. I will try to use it more often.
Vladalf
ocalhoun
... I've noticed that IE's security often creates security by restricting user actions, rather than blocking threats directly (especially when set high enough to actually be secure)... Is there anyone who has tried several different browsers and then chosen IE for their main browser? I doubt it.
Firilacroco
Of course yes! IE has a very low security level. I use FireFox and Opera. They have updates almost every week. Smile
Fatality
I have used Firefox for years an years and IE only when I have to. I have heard of Firefox getting attacked and vulnerabilities were discovered. Even though it isn't completely "unhackable", I do believe Firefox is much safer to use.
ankitdatashn
Ohh man so long post, cant see it full as dont have time to read so much. But yes all softwares as one of the buddies here said can be hacked. Each piece of software has the vulnerabilities and loopholes that the crackers prey upon. So i think everything will improve with time although there was never and there will be never a foolproof solution for this!
Rhineus
mwsupra wrote:
Although I haven't used IE in years (with the exception of IETab in Firefox for old stubborn sites)

yea, me too... I love Firefox ever since I started using it.
Unknown1312
I think every browser is safe/unsafe in a special way.
Firefox is surely one of the best browsers (I use it too) but it might be vulnerable at some points. A perfect browser haven't been invented...YET Wink ...
SpellcasterDX
Unknown1312 wrote:
I think every browser is safe/unsafe in a special way.
Firefox is surely one of the best browsers (I use it too) but it might be vulnerable at some points. A perfect browser haven't been invented...YET Wink ...

So far nothing like this has ever affected Firefox. (As far as I know, anyway) It can't be vulnerable because it's open source and anybody can find bugs/vulnerabilities and fix them, if they know how.
Aredon
I'm pretty sure this was patched the same day that the vulnerability was found. I at least know that I read about it in the morning, and had a IE7 update that afternoon. Must not have been very hard to fix.
jmlworld
I discovered long ago that Internet Explorer is total crap. I use Firefox and I have several other browsers to test my designs. Opera, Safari and Google Chrome are all good, but Internet Explorer is the worst ever browser.

Microsoft should take care of what they are selling.
biljap
Ever since I have a computer, people were telling me not to use IE because it is not secure. Im glad Ive listened to them. I was using Opera and the first time I tried Firefox and experienced how helpful is to have so many add-ons to chose from I stick to it! Cool
Now, even if some expert I believe the most come and say to me hey, you can use IE and you dont have to worry about your security I would never believe him. At least, it would have to pass some time and other's positive experience so that I could use IE for something else except for testing purposes.
hamza1122
That's lucky. i stopped using internet explorer a while ago, but i still have on my computer, and started using firefox so im pretty safe. Very Happy
tony
Yes; I'm glad I use Firefox...