FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Years of ducking responsibility comes in handy for Bush

handfleisch
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=11107285&ch=4226716&src=news

AP In this image from APTN video, a man throws a shoe at President George W. Bush during a news conference
Nick2008
This is what starts happening when you start a war for a reason, then find out that your reason cannot be justified, and you simply continue it for a long time with no plan to stop it or come to a compromise.

A 4 year old war... is there anything that the Iraqi people are happy about?
handfleisch
Nick2008 wrote:
This is what starts happening when you start a war for a reason, then find out that your reason cannot be justified, and you simply continue it for a long time with no plan to stop it or come to a compromise.

A 4 year old war... is there anything that the Iraqi people are happy about?

Agreed. I wonder how many friends, family and/or acquaintances of the shoe-thrower are dead because of Bush. Many would think him justified in throwing a lot more than shoes.
truespeed
I have never thrown a shoe, but i imagine they aren't the most aerodynamic of objects,so for him to have had such a good aim is some achievement.

Its quite funny really,Bush orders the fire of countless rounds of ammunition on Iraq and an Iraqi responds with a shoe.

If he gets his shoes back he could sell them on ebay.
Insanity
I must give you props for that ingenious headline. My hat is off to you, sir.
deanhills
I think it is pretty attrocious. Can imagine his security guards must have come down heavily on whoever did that act? I am not crazy about Bush, but I do have a great respect for the Presidency and my instinctive reaction when I saw the photo was that should not have happened. I thought he dealt very graciously with the incident.
handfleisch
Insanity wrote:
I must give you props for that ingenious headline. My hat is off to you, sir.

Great! It would've knocked Bush's hat off too if he'd had one.
Sphaerenkern
I still wonder what happens to the shoe-thrower now? I mean, even if he would've hit Bush, he wouldn't have caused much damage. Anyway, he got beaten up by the security after that and seems to be imprisoned now...
I'd be angry too - Bush spoke about his achievements in the Iraq and the Al Zaidi (the thrower) thought more about the deads, orphans and widows.
Cove
Apparently he got beat in custody:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7785338.stm

I thought it was pretty funny how he dodged the shoes. It scared me a bit that secret service didn't really do anything until AFTER the second shoe was thrown.
handfleisch
Sphaerenkern wrote:
I still wonder what happens to the shoe-thrower now? I mean, even if he would've hit Bush, he wouldn't have caused much damage. Anyway, he got beaten up by the security after that and seems to be imprisoned now...
I'd be angry too - Bush spoke about his achievements in the Iraq and the Al Zaidi (the thrower) thought more about the deads, orphans and widows.

One article said it is a crime to insult a foreign dignitary in Iraq. But demonstrators are demanding his release. I bet he will get off light (the US wouldn't want him martyred either).
truespeed
KIf shoe throwing were an Olympic sport Al Zaidi would be a sure fire gold medalist.
Nick2008
If the US starts heavily supporting sentencing Muntadar al-Zaidi to the maximum term, and if he does get the maximum term; it would cause even more problems in Iraq. So many people in Iraq find him as a hero, just look at the rallies and protests, it's like the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade! The amount of support for this journalist is very large.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYnMp-CnYNc
Bikerman
truespeed wrote:
KIf shoe throwing were an Olympic sport Al Zaidi would be a sure fire gold medalist.

Surely not - after all he did miss....
truespeed
Bikerman wrote:
truespeed wrote:

He only missed because Bush moved the target.
Bikerman
truespeed wrote:
Bikerman wrote:
truespeed wrote:

But a true professional would take account of this and adjust the shot accordingly. I'm not saying he isn't a decent club-standard thrower, but I don't think he could be considered Olympic standard from this showing. To get to Olympic standard you need to train hard - I recommend trying to hit a moving cat with a 40g slipper at 10 metres as the optimum training regime..
ocalhoun
As much as anyone may dislike the president, this is definitely a regression in terms of diplomacy... What did he really think he was going to accomplish?

I would have much more respect for a real assassin, but throwing a shoe is just silly and childish.
Bikerman
Well, I understand that throwing a shoe at someone is a symbolic act in Iraq which expressed extreme displeasure with them. I think that I would prefer to see such actions rather than those of the AK47 type...
http://baghdadbureau.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/15/brother-is-proud-of-shoe-tossing-iraqi-journalist/
truespeed
Bikerman wrote:
truespeed wrote:
Bikerman wrote:
truespeed wrote:

But a true professional would take account of this and adjust the shot accordingly. I'm not saying he isn't a decent club-standard thrower, but I don't think he could be considered Olympic standard from this showing. To get to Olympic standard you need to train hard - I recommend trying to hit a moving cat with a 40g slipper at 10 metres as the optimum training regime..

Your not taking into acount, the fact that he was impeded by spectators when he was trying to make his throw,im sure if this happened at the Olympics ,the stewards would allow him to take his throw again.
ocalhoun
Bikerman wrote:
Well, I understand that throwing a shoe at someone is a symbolic act in Iraq which expressed extreme displeasure with them. I think that I would prefer to see such actions rather than those of the AK47 type...
http://baghdadbureau.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/15/brother-is-proud-of-shoe-tossing-iraqi-journalist/

Ah, I see... That changes things then. The act is not nearly as childish if it is symbolic. In that case it is much better than a true assassination attempt. Replacing real violence with symbolic, but not particularly dangerous violence would be a great step forward.
Bikerman
truespeed wrote:
Your not taking into acount, the fact that he was impeded by spectators when he was trying to make his throw,im sure if this happened at the Olympics ,the stewards would allow him to take his throw again.
That would surely depend on the event. Skeet shoeing and clay shoeing would undoubtedly offer a re-throw. The 50 metre running target event, however, might consider the audience a natural hazard...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISSF_shooting_events
truespeed
This was also Al Zaidi's first atempt at the event,the man is a natural and im sure if the Running boar event or the Ducking Bush as it is now known were held at the next Olympics then he would be standing on the rostrom (shoeless) with a gold medal round his neck.