FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

something wrong with my network/internet connection

riyadh
i use a dial-up connection to connect to the internet.the other day i was using utorrent to download files.since i was going out, i checked the option in utorrent to reboot the pc when downloads are complete.when i came back, i couldn't connect anymore to the net.i use vista ultimate edition and in the 'connect to' app, windows cannot find any of my networks.i uninstalled my modem and installed it again.it installs successfully.it is there in the device manager and in the properties i send queries to it and the modem is in perfect working order.when i try to set up a new connection now though, the machine can't detect a modem.i ran a virus scan but nothing turned up.
Craeft
riyadh wrote:
i use a dial-up connection to connect to the internet.the other day i was using utorrent to download files.since i was going out, i checked the option in utorrent to reboot the pc when downloads are complete.when i came back, i couldn't connect anymore to the net.i use vista ultimate edition and in the 'connect to' app, windows cannot find any of my networks.i uninstalled my modem and installed it again.it installs successfully.it is there in the device manager and in the properties i send queries to it and the modem is in perfect working order.when i try to set up a new connection now though, the machine can't detect a modem.i ran a virus scan but nothing turned up.

First, do a virus scan (probably not the issue, but a good starting point for a safety precaution).

Double check the hard connections and if everything is secure, try the "Find New Hardware" wizard. Optionally, go into your Device Manager and see if the modem is at least coming up on the list. If not, click on the FIND NEW HARDWARE icon at the top. If that doesn't resolve it, is there a CD with drivers for your modem available? Try to install the CD first, and then the hardware (if you haven't tried that yet).
ocalhoun
My best guess is hardware failure... Either the modem finally wore out, or a power surge in the phone line killed it.
Craeft
ocalhoun wrote:
My best guess is hardware failure... Either the modem finally wore out, or a power surge in the phone line killed it.

Why do I always miss the simple explanations? :-/
riyadh
the modem hasnt worn out cos as said, when i send queires to it by going to its properties, i get replies from the modem.tht means it's in working condition.and i also uninstalled and installed it again and it does come up in the device manager.read my problem completely before saying something.
Craeft
riyadh wrote:
the modem hasnt worn out cos as said, when i send queires to it by going to its properties, i get replies from the modem.tht means it's in working condition.and i also uninstalled and installed it again and it does come up in the device manager.read my problem completely before saying something.

Just because you're pinging the modem doesn't mean it's letting packets through. But if that's the case... if you are hitting the modem and everything is checking out there... have you checked your host file?

But... if your computer is not even seeing the modem, how are you hitting it for data?
riyadh
tht's the thing....my pc does recognise the modem but the network connections don't detect it.when i try to setup up a new connection now, they say they can't detect a modem but the modem is being recognised by the OS.
riyadh
additionally, i sometimes use a nokia phone to connect to the internet.windows can detect the phone as a modem.i can use the phone for other purposes but when it comes to connecting to the internet it can't because network connections cannot find any networks.so im pretty sure this isn't because of a hardware failure.this has got to do something with vista itself.i figured something is wrong with the registry values but im not sure about it
KHO
I had a problem similar, I could connect to my router, access its control panel at 192.168.1.1, i could generate network traffic and share packets with computers on the network no problem, but couldn't communicate the internet on the wireless or the LAN ends. Replaced the router with a $20 substitute and everything worked fine.
Craeft
KHO wrote:
I had a problem similar, I could connect to my router, access its control panel at 192.168.1.1, i could generate network traffic and share packets with computers on the network no problem, but couldn't communicate the internet on the wireless or the LAN ends. Replaced the router with a $20 substitute and everything worked fine.

That was most likely a setting int he router then, would be my guess. I see that you were on a .1.x network. It is possible that if you didn't have the gateway of the router set to .1.x it would do that, among other things.
KHO
Craeft wrote:
KHO wrote:

That was most likely a setting int he router then, would be my guess. I see that you were on a .1.x network. It is possible that if you didn't have the gateway of the router set to .1.x it would do that, among other things.
Router was working fine for about a year and a half without modifying the configuration, and I had a good look at it first, tried swapping through other ports on the device and tested my connection and NIC by connecting directly to NIC. Went through all configuration options. The router simply died. The router I have now is the exact same model, set up the exact same way. Works fine.
ocalhoun
riyadh wrote:
additionally, i sometimes use a nokia phone to connect to the internet.windows can detect the phone as a modem.i can use the phone for other purposes but when it comes to connecting to the internet it can't because network connections cannot find any networks.so im pretty sure this isn't because of a hardware failure.this has got to do something with vista itself.i figured something is wrong with the registry values but im not sure about it

If nothing else works, you have the old windows standby solution: format and reinstall.

When did it stop working... what did you do in between the last time it worked and the first time it didn't?
riyadh
i know tht solution but reinstalling windows isn't a solution for me cos i dont want to have to download all the updates for vista again.

i ws downloading torrents the last time it ws working.jst read wat i wrote at the beginning.i said everything about my prob.this goes for everyone.read the damn thing.then u'l knw tht i do not use a router or anything else.i have a dial-up connection.tht means i use my damn phone line to connect to the internet.

if u cnt help then dnt reply
Craeft
riyadh wrote:
i know tht solution but reinstalling windows isn't a solution for me cos i dont want to have to download all the updates for vista again.

i ws downloading torrents the last time it ws working.jst read wat i wrote at the beginning.i said everything about my prob.this goes for everyone.read the damn thing.then u'l knw tht i do not use a router or anything else.i have a dial-up connection.tht means i use my damn phone line to connect to the internet.

WTF did you say? Is that even English? Are you having a heart attack or a stroke? Do you need medical attention?
ocalhoun
riyadh wrote:

Then don't.
They screw up your system more often than they fix things anyway.
KHO
riyadh wrote:
read the damn thing.then u'l knw tht i do not use a router or anything else.i have a dial-up connection.tht means i use my damn phone line to connect to the internet.

You do infact use a MODEM or a N.I.C. (network interface card), it is plugged into your computer through a PCI port or possibly on-board. A new modem costs all of like what, $5 USD tops? Shit, pay for postage from my place to yours and I could send you 3 I have sitting in a drawer that will never be used. If you read most of our posts, we are saying whatever you have that communicates a connection between your computer and the internet (and I promise theres something that is doing this very function) is possibly dead. This kind of thing happens a lot, especially with dial-up if you leave it on overnight on an unprotected outlet (a phone jack without a surge guard, which chances are you don't have a surge guard on your phone jack) because of periodic surges. Try replacing your MODEM or NIC its a very easy process and we can help you with it if you need assistance.

Please don't begin getting on peoples case about not reading the post when they are indeed submitting relevant information to the post.

Also, if you think it may be a Vista error (which I really wouldn't rule anything out as far as Vista screwing things up), then do a system restore. Should be simple enough for you, just hit F8 on startup, go into safe mode, and it should ask you (I'm familiar with XP not vista, so you might have to go into the menu and find it).
ocalhoun
KHO wrote:

Also, if you think it may be a Vista error (which I really wouldn't rule anything out as far as Vista screwing things up), then do a system restore. Should be simple enough for you, just hit F8 on startup, go into safe mode, and it should ask you (I'm familiar with XP not vista, so you might have to go into the menu and find it).

I have no faith in system restore. I've tried it many times, and never seen it have any effect at all. Full backups are the only way to go.
mOrpheuS
riyadh wrote:

Is the "Telephony" service and its dependencies all in working order ?
Craeft
ocalhoun wrote:
KHO wrote:

I have no faith in system restore. I've tried it many times, and never seen it have any effect at all. Full backups are the only way to go.

Never a truer statement has been said. I can not trust the system restore. I have seen it screw up too many times.

I think it's the same with Vista because to get into safe mode, it's before application/platform level boot. The question isn't the OS as much as the brand computer. For example, I know Dells are differnet (I think they're F10 or something silly like that). Most OTC MotherBoards trip it on F8, however. I forgot which computer I was working on, but I had to tap DEL to get into safe mode. No... not BIOS (which is what DEL usually is)... safe mode. That was fun trying to figure that one out. Hell.. That was 2 years ago and I'm still scratching my head on that.
albuferque
Maybe you can troubleshoot the problem with some sniffer. I'd suggest Wireshark