FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Skiing: Two mountains to be linked

malcolmpreen
Today (12 December) at 10:30 PST (18:30 GMT) the Peak2Peak gondola will be officially opened at Whistler-Blackcomb ski resort in British Columbia, Canada.

This gondola (which when it was discussed in 2005 was thought to be an April Fools joke), spans 4.4km between the main restaurants on the two mountains - so Peak2Peak isn't really valid... but I guess MidMountain to MidMountain doesn't sound so good !!!

There is an unsupported span of 3.024 km (1.88 miles)... it will certainly be spectacular to see.

As a skier, I don't imagine I will use it that much... it's relatively easy to ski down, and ride up the other mountain... but in the case of dramatic weather changes or for a variety of runs at the end of the day it might be an option.

I suspect it will be more of a draw for non-skiing tourists.

The stories we heard last year suggested that two of the 28 cabins would have glass bottoms, so that you can see the valley below you....

The official website is here for those who are interested.

Malcolm[/url]
jwellsy
will you be able to see the Witch's tooth from the new lift?

I love WB. That's the coolest ski village on the continent.

2010 Olympics are going to rock!
Chinmoy
this sounds nice man!looking forward to it..
malcolmpreen
jwellsy wrote:
will you be able to see the Witch's tooth from the new lift?

Witch's tooth ? Not sure what you mean? Does this have an official name ? If you let me know soon I'll let you know at the end of January as we are off the Whistler on Tuesday next week...

Malcolm
deanhills
malcolmpreen wrote:
Today (12 December) at 10:30 PST (18:30 GMT) the Peak2Peak gondola will be officially opened at Whistler-Blackcomb ski resort in British Columbia, Canada.

This gondola (which when it was discussed in 2005 was thought to be an April Fools joke), spans 4.4km between the main restaurants on the two mountains - so Peak2Peak isn't really valid... but I guess MidMountain to MidMountain doesn't sound so good !!!

There is an unsupported span of 3.024 km (1.88 miles)... it will certainly be spectacular to see.

As a skier, I don't imagine I will use it that much... it's relatively easy to ski down, and ride up the other mountain... but in the case of dramatic weather changes or for a variety of runs at the end of the day it might be an option.

I suspect it will be more of a draw for non-skiing tourists.

The stories we heard last year suggested that two of the 28 cabins would have glass bottoms, so that you can see the valley below you....

The official website is here for those who are interested.

Malcolm[/url]

Awesome news this. Wow! Hope they are going to build some extra roads now, or perhaps a link to the sky train? Smile
jwellsy
I give you , the Witches Tooth!

deanhills
jwellsy wrote:
I give you , the Witches Tooth!

So is the tooth that dark grey rock in the background? What a name!
jwellsy
Yeah that's it. It's very promenant when you see it in person. It looks like a gnarly snaggled tooth.

The village there is an awsome adult playground too.

malcolmpreen
Ah... yes I know that... I'd always been told it was called Black Tusk.... although Witches Tooth sounds good as well.

I'm not sure if it will be visible from the Peak 2 Peak though.... as whilst it is called Peak to Peak it is actually MidMountain to MidMountain !!!

I'll report back in three weeks...

Malcolm
deanhills
Awesome photos jwellsy. Making me homesick Smile
malcolmpreen
OK, I'm back.....

First.... no Black Tusk / Witches Tooth isn't visible from the Peak2Peak gondola... its a little too low.

The gondola is very impressive.... so smooth - you almost wouldn't know you are travelling.

The view is spectacular, when it isn't foggy / cloudy ... etc etc

This year, it was being used quite extensively.... as its new, and also, the two mountains had quite varying conditions.... which was very helpful...

Until recently, the Peak of Whistler wasn't open.... so whilst there was plenty of terrain available... it was easier to travel over to Blackcomb for a variety... and some more challenging bumps / steeps.

They opened Harmony Bowl for the last week of our visit, but it was only after we'd left that they opened Symphony Bowl, Whistler Peak and the Blackcomb gondola....

Very strange weather year.... it was +10 C in the alpine... almost like Spring skiing - but better snow conditions...

Malcolm
ankitdatashn
Coz I dont know a bit about skeeing I cannot know and feel the essense of this thread, Still I guess it is worth a knowledge Smile