FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What do you think of my new design?

jylan
Well guys, I've been working on this design for about a week now, but just launched it last night: http://www.yeppooninfo.com/. What do you think of the general design? Is everything working as it should? Do you have any suggestions of changes I should make?

Also I would appreciate it if someone could test it in IE6 for me please, I'm on a mac and services like browsershots.org can only do so much. I've made an IE6 specific stylesheet for the site (too many alpha PNGS and stuff Smile), so it will look fairly plain.

I also would like to add a JS feature to the events page (http://www.yeppooninfo.com/yeppoon-events), basically when someone selects the hour (just as an example, I want this to be the same for minute, date, year etc), in the 'start date of event' section, I want the script to automatically select the same value in the corresponding field in the 'end date of event' section.

I think it would be easy for a moderately skilled Javascripter, I just don't know enough about Javascript to do it myself.

If I haven't made something clear just ask me what I mean Very Happy .

Thanks
LukeakaDanish
I quite like the design. I know you're quite good at this, so I'm gonna try to show you where i think you can improve, rather than wildly praise you for being so much better than 99/100 frihosters. Here's some constructive criticism:

Good points:
1: Love the way the photo's are used. You've really caught what ought to be the focus of the website.
2: I like your use of transparency.
3: I really like the way everything is big and simple...it makes the site seem very clean and user friendly.

Negative points:
1: Too much yellow. I don't think the background blends very well with the blue. Try adjusting the color to something warmer/darker.
2: The hover effect on the title is good from a usability point of view (indicates its a link), but its kinda confusing that it blinks off when you move over the search field and links. This could be fixed in css.
3: The two-line navigation is a tad confusing. I would prefer the places menu to be a drop down menu OR (probably a better idea) have a places page with the links on it, and then have the places menu only when you are actually in one of the places pages.

I'll test with IE6 when I'm home. (I used FF now, this is my GF's computer)
Ghost Rider103
I would not say he is better than 99/100 Frihosters. There are some extremely talented web designers here, and Luke, you being one of them.

Anyways, you do have a nice design, but the lines in the background look very distorted, and your design would look soooo much cleaner if you got them to be smooth.

Also a warmer choice of color would really bring this alive.

Your somewhat logo is not very attractive. It's just some simple text that anybody can do, you should try to make it a little bit more unique. That's ok if you want to keep it simple and just stay with text, but at least give the text some nice effects to bring your design a live even more.

You have a great start, just need a few things touched up on it.

Good job.
rshewade
really cool design man
LukeakaDanish
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I would not say he is better than 99/100 Frihosters. There are some extremely talented web designers here, and Luke, you being one of them.

Why thankyou Smile

There are 52k frihosters. 1/100 of that = 520 talented frihosters. I doubt there are even that many Smile.

And I agree on your points about the background lines and the logo. Both could use some work. Smile
tass_
First thing that struck me when I visited the website was a beautiful picture, sparks interest, great! After looking below the picture, I figured it's a website trying to promote an area to tourists, so far, everything serves it's purpose with splendor.

I then, accidentally, moved my pointer over the logo, and then into the search area, and back onto the logo.. a hoover effect, while useful in one way, it doesn't really work out here. You might want to try doing something with the text logo, add some color, perhaps make a border around each character, add some reflex or whatever, make it more interesting, easily done in GIMP/Photoshop/whatever you use.

If you don't know how, then there's gazillions of tutorials on the net on the topic of how to create interesting logos.. if you want me to, I'll try find you some with Google. : )

The design is really pretty good, but there's one thing that bothers me slightly, the contrast between the transparent content box and the background is barely visible, change that!

Oh, and please, the logo, either remove the hoover effect, or at least make it not incorporate the background around the logo, a sharp-edged box in your otherwise so smooth design doesn't work out very well.

Hope my criticism felt constructive rather than offending, cheers!

(Tested using Firefox on Mac OS X 10.5.x)
jylan
Well, thankyou so much everyone for all of your constructive criticism and help, it really is very helpful Very Happy .

@Luke, I think I will keep the same colour for the background graphic, its supposed to be sun rays and IMO it blends in quite nicely with the blue at the top. Also I want to keep the list of places in the menu to encourage click-throughs there, I know that a lot of people wouldn't bother to go to a places page first to choose which area they're interested in.

@Ghost Rider, I'm going to try to find a better graphic for the sun. To my eyes the distorted lines aren't that noticeable but they would look better even as you say. I also do want to keep the header text as simple as possible, but I might make a simple logo for the site so I can add some interest to the text.

@tass and everyone else who commented on the hover effect, I've changed it to a smaller hover area with rounded corners, I think it looks better now. BTW you're using the same setup with Leopard and Firefox that I have Smile.

BTW does anyone know how I can create the Javascript form functionality that I described in my first post?
Arseniy
Yay, I llllove that design Very Happy
It's clean, light-blue and with cool photo-header on top Smile
Very good site I think. Cannot say much. But that snapshots are starting to make me angry...
liangei
really cool design man
jylan
@Arseniy What do you mean about the snapshots making you angry Confused ?
ftv_flung
Yeah, it's pretty good, but it's a bit of an effort when scrolling. I don't know if it's because there's a lot on the page or whatever.

Otherwise, I like the bright colours of it Smile nice job Very Happy
jylan
@ftv_flung, thanks for your feedback. The scrolling slowness is probably due to my use of alpha transparent pngs, which will cause slow down scrolling.
Arseniy
That pop-ups with the preview of the page you can go with any link.
I got rid from them in LiveJournal but here I can't and that's why they make me nervous and insert a disorder in my head.
jylan
Ah ok Arseniy, I've turned them off now because I don't really need them anymore.
LukeakaDanish
I can do the form bit. If you do the html markup, I'll write you some quick code...

I prefer the menu now...the fact that there's no longer a text line between the resources line and the places line made it quite a lot clearer.

BTW: You should preload the hover image for your title so it doesn't have to load when you hover.
jylan
@Luke Thanks for your offer, but I decided to remove the end date section completely as it wasn't really needed. When events are scheduled the start time is publicised but the end time usually isn't.

I'll preload the background image as you suggest, I also need to get started on that logo Smile.
LukeakaDanish
Cool. Good luck with it all. Smile
tass_
jylan wrote:

@tass and everyone else who commented on the hover effect, I've changed it to a smaller hover area with rounded corners, I think it looks better now. BTW you're using the same setup with Leopard and Firefox that I have Smile.

That is in fact.. a lot better! I still think you should make the transparent background of the content cointainer a little tiny bit darker blue, or just make it slightly more opaque.. that would make me quite fond of the website, at least if it was of personal interest to myself. (read: If I had been looking for someplace to go for a vacation).

Good job on fixing up the things that have been pointed out though, all creds to you!
ozerib
It's clean and nice.. The banner (pic) is little bit big.. Would be better if you could make it smaller.. Nice overall.
jylan
Thankyou Tass for your feedback once again, I've changed the header hover image to a darker blue colour, how does it look now?
tass_
Alright! Now that hoover effect actually looks quite neat, what you might want to do now is add just a minor tone darker color to the part of the site that contains the text and content, it's barely distinguishable from the outer background as it is now, and, that kind of defeats the purpose of it, right? : )
jmlworld
After all the recommendations above, I think you made a lot of improvements on the site, Jylan. I can say the navigation, the logo, the content and the general design are all user friendly, accessible and clean... Keep up the good work, man.

By the way, did you finish redesigning the logo?
jylan
Hey Jamal, saw you visit from my stats just a while ago so figured you'd say something soon Smile. Glad you like the website.

I decided to keep the header just as stylized text after all, because I couldn't really think of any logo ideas and I didn't want anything more complex than the text already was. I might get around to something one day though Very Happy
Ghost Rider103
Looking better.

What is up with one of the images on the home page, the title of it is "View of Yeppoon Main Beach from Meikleville Hil." It has like a weird dark spot in the middle like you tried to Photoshop it to make the image larger.

I was just wondering what was up with that image, nothing major.
jmlworld
jylan wrote:
Hey Jamal, saw you visit from my stats just a while ago so figured you'd say something soon Smile. Glad you like the website.

I decided to keep the header just as stylized text after all, because I couldn't really think of any logo ideas and I didn't want anything more complex than the text already was. I might get around to something one day though Very Happy

Yea. I just noticed it today.
jylan
@Jamal hehe ok Wink.

@Ghost Rider, yeah that image was way back from when I just used the photo switching software that came with my camera, so its really old. Need to get up there and do a new one to replace it soon. The dark patches would probably just be from the stitching process, I haven't changed anything on the image besides colour/saturation and resizing it.
Ghost Rider103
Oh ok, yeah I just wanted to know what was up with that image.