FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Electrical engineering

Cove
So I've pretty much decided that I'm intending to major in electrical engineering, with a computer engineering focus. Are there any ee's in the house that can give me some encouragement or advice?
thetinyclam
As you know, EECS is one of the hardest majors at any college institution, so it's not gonna be easy completing that program. Expect the following:

1) Spending many Thursday nights working on some ridiculous homework or a lab report
2) Females are nowhere to be seen, and if they exist, you're better off hitting on another guy
3) You and your peers will bond over exceedingly difficult homework and mutual hatred for the professor.
4) At times you will find yourself being saved by the curve. A 70 could be an A, a 30/100 could be a passing grade. Who knows lol.
5. There will be exceptional students who get the 100 in your CS classes, whereas as the average is around 50. These students are usually sons/daughters of software professionals who started programming at an early age.

Lol I'm not sure that list was so much encouraging. Well at least you know that you graduate with that B.S. of yours, you'll:

1) Have a nice steady job with a high starting salary.

That's about it!
Magicman
Good luck in your studies. Computer engineering is certainly one of the most difficult courses of study you can pursue. I am taking mechanical engineering right now and I know it will be hard but it should all be worth it when I get out of school.
goniagara
thetinyclam wrote:
As you know, EECS is one of the hardest majors at any college institution, so it's not gonna be easy completing that program. Expect the following:

1) Spending many Thursday nights working on some ridiculous homework or a lab report
2) Females are nowhere to be seen, and if they exist, you're better off hitting on another guy
3) You and your peers will bond over exceedingly difficult homework and mutual hatred for the professor.
4) At times you will find yourself being saved by the curve. A 70 could be an A, a 30/100 could be a passing grade. Who knows lol.
5. There will be exceptional students who get the 100 in your CS classes, whereas as the average is around 50. These students are usually sons/daughters of software professionals who started programming at an early age.

Lol I'm not sure that list was so much encouraging. Well at least you know that you graduate with that B.S. of yours, you'll:

1) Have a nice steady job with a high starting salary.

That's about it!

Well said ... lol ... but true ... oh so true.

I'm not EE, but have degrees in mechanical and aerospace engineering.

Take heart though, once you get out of school, you won't use 90% of what you learned on any kind of frequent basis, but when you do need it, you'll remember, or at least know what questions to ask and how to figure out the answers.

Social life ... yes, forget it.

Hard work ... yes, lots of it ... but school is harder than what you'll have to do when you start working.

Salary in engineering is good to start, but it doesn't go up fast. Most engineers seem to make a career move after about your first 5 years.