FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

LHC results???

yagnyavalkya
When will we get to see the results of LHC
and hows my new signature quote?
Afaceinthematrix
The LHC had some problems with it. I think the problem was with some suprconducting magnets. If I'm not mistaken, the people at CERN are working on it and the LHC should be operational by the summer of 2009.

P.S. I like your signature quote - I must say that I'm a fan of the freedom of speech.
Xrave
I heard that there was a leak and a ton of Liquid Helium leaked into a tunnel or something.

We won't see any blackholes in a while. Still... *anticipated*
psleang
There were two major accidents involving helium leaks at the LHC. The first was in 2007, when a quadrupole magnet, used for beam focus, failed catastrophically due to a design flaw. Photonics.com reports.

The second was in 2008, when a bus in the circuit of superconducting magnets failed. This caused a magnet quench and a big helium spill. BBC reports.

The LHC website claims they won't see beam until September, 2009. See here. Who knows how long it will be before we see new physics results. Access to higher beam energies will probably produce a few early, but provisional results. It will likely be a few years before they have enough data and processing time to publish anything definitive.
snowboardalliance
My physics professor said there might be some findings in the next few months. Who knows though.
SonLight
It looks like the repair was completed in July, but it is still being cooled down and aligned to prepare it for initial testing. The commissioning phase will probably take about a year, starting this November. During that time they will not intentionally be trying to perform new science experiments.

The LHC will be a phenominal research tool when it is finally fully functional. In spite of the unfortunate accidents, the schedule has been reasonably good considering the number of new technologies that are being used.