FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer not booting at all

RiCtee
If a desktop computer doesn't boot at all. ie. when you press the power button and nothing "powers up" - there's no fan sound, boot up screen, etc. What could the problem be? It's definitely a hardware issue but how do I check which component has failed? Also the motherboard's standby LED light is glowing, so does that mean there is nothing wrong with the motherboard, and most likely it's the power supply that's broken?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I haven't open the computer case in ages and I checked all the cables and connections so it's unlikely it could be that problem.
badai
if the power LED is on, it could be mobo, RAM, CPU, display. you have to test one by one.
Diablosblizz
If the power LED is powered on then yes it could be the motherboard, CPU, RAM and / or display. If there is not a LED light for power, then your power supply is fried. You need to replace it to get your computer working again, obviously.

Go to a computer store for more information, they're probably your best bet if you don't know what you are doing.
RiCtee
badai wrote:
if the power LED is on, it could be mobo, RAM, CPU, display. you have to test one by one.

Diablosblizz wrote:
If the power LED is powered on then yes it could be the motherboard, CPU, RAM and / or display. If there is not a LED light for power, then your power supply is fried.

Could you two be talking about the power LED that can be seen on the front and outside of the computer case? ie. the one next to the hard drive activity light. I meant the LED inside the case on the motherboard - the one that lights up whenever power is connected, just as a safety feature to alert you.

It's definitely not the display or RAM. Since it couldn't boot at all. If it was one of those, the boot screen would show or there would be a beep. I just need to make sure whether it's the power supply or the motherboard's fault.
Kelvin
Well lets narrow down the possible faults here. It can't be your RAM or your GPU as these two will make a beeping noise if not functioning. It can't be your processor to as your desktop can't even boot up with power for the fans to run. I would say it is your PSU (power supply unit). You are referring to the LED inside the motherboard that is somewhat of an inidication if power is actually flowing through.

If I remember correctly, the motherboard LED will still light up even if the PSU is non functioning as voltage still passes through the PSU. But your PSU will no longer supply the power needed to boot up your comp. So if you have an old/spare PSU lying around, try changing it. IF it does display after changing the PSU but does not complete but stays on the bootup screen, then the PSU you are using is under powered.

While you are at it, remember to clean out all the built up dust in yor system for optimal functionning of the fans and handware.
RiCtee
I was just wondering. That computer is a Dell Dimension 5100 and it has a BTX form factor, so would a standard ATX Power Supply Unit fit or work with it? Like this one: Intech 550W ATX Power Supply. Or would I need to get a replacement from Dell?
jdelfire
LinwoodKellon wrote:
What could the problem be?led strip It's definitely a hardware issue but how do I check which component has failed? Also the motherboard's standby high density led is glowing, so does that mean there is nothing wrong with the motherboard, Flexible LED Strip Lights and most likely it's the power supply that's broken?

Not because the motherboard led is glowing means there is nothing wrong with the board...

without some spare parts to test your hardware it will be a guessing game...

best to start with the power supply maybe if you can borrow one from a friend or might as well take it

to a PC repair center.
darthrevan
jdelfire wrote:
LinwoodKellon wrote:
What could the problem be?led strip It's definitely a hardware issue but how do I check which component has failed? Also the motherboard's standby high density led is glowing, so does that mean there is nothing wrong with the motherboard, Flexible LED Strip Lights and most likely it's the power supply that's broken?

Not because the motherboard led is glowing means there is nothing wrong with the board...

without some spare parts to test your hardware it will be a guessing game...

best to start with the power supply maybe if you can borrow one from a friend or might as well take it

to a PC repair center.

I would also start with the power supply. Esp. if I don't hear any fans coming on. Another thing to back up the theory(possibly), is to see if the fan on the power supply is running. You can find decent priced power supplies online. I usually use the price comparison site: pricewatch.com you can find some nice deals there. If you have a friend or have an extra power supply, try using a different one before buying if you have that option.

Good luck!