FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How competitive is PHP?

africa
Hi guys im about to venture into software...

I am so in love with the internet and programming but i do not know which language to choose..PHP, MYSQL,Jave, .Net??

Can you please tell me what you think is the best?
imagefree
i will recommend php as language, and mysql as dbms. (both are free)
Star Wars Fanatic
africa wrote:

I am so in love with the internet and programming but i do not know which language to choose..PHP, MYSQL,Jave, .Net??

PHP is different from MySQL, and also different from Java, and different from .NET.
PHP is a server side scripting language, which outputs html to the browser, and can also interface with a database, MySQL. Java is a web programming language in which a file is embedded into a web page, it is very much like Flash. And .NET is an application framework.
You really can't compare them to one another. It would be like compare Apple's to Oranges, both fruits, but not alike in the slightest.

What you want to program in depends on what you want to do. If you want useful scripts that run on the fly depending on user input, then you might want PHP, or perhaps one of the server side languages that use .NET: ASP. Whichever one you choose, you will need to know some MySQL for storing information into the database.
If you want to create an environment that is separate from the html in some aspects, and is also pre-compiled to a degree, then you want Java, or perhaps Flash.

It all depends on what you want to do, and how you want to go about doing it.
I love PHP, but before that I was doing Java. Both are quite different, yet both are good at their tasks. If you just want to code useful apps for websites, then I recommend PHP coupled with MySQL, they are quite powerful, and I have found them to be very useful, and lots of fun to code with.
Hogwarts
Star Wars Fanatic wrote:
then I recommend PHP coupled with MySQL, they are quite powerful, and I have found them to be very useful, and lots of fun to code with.

Personally I think you should be suggesting pgSQL there. I've spent the last few years using MySQL as my database engine, only switching in the last few months -- it was like switching from IE to Firefox.

Rather funny though, since I use a database abstraction layer now and don't even handle raw SQL besides the CLI anyway Shocked

Much better databasing system, though
leontius
Currently PHP dominates - there are more web hosts supporting PHP than any other language or framework. But then, PHP is not perfect (eg. the language is considered not expressive enough by some people) so if you want to look forward there are lots of frameworks to try. J2EE (Java for servers) is mentioned already. You may want to take a look at Django, Ruby on Rails, Zope... the list goes on. (google is your friend)
nikhilio
PHP is dominating at the time being, and it is so easy to use. PHP is very similar to Perl.

Now, MYSQL is completely different. It is a databasing querying scripting language. PHP USES mySQL to send information and receive information from a mySQL database.

Now, you can make a java server side website, that's called JSP. JSP is very secure, and is much easier to use if you know a bit about OOP.

I use PHP because JSP servers are a pain to set up.
albuferque
I think PHP's popularity is assuring its development. Being a Phillip Greenspun's disciple, I personally find TCL more efficient and academically correct. The power of ACS was demonstrated and PHP was always beaten by TCL.
Popularity is not the same as superiority.
Faraz
Go for PHP. I've looked at the freelancing sites recently, and found that there are more projects for PHP than ASP/ASP.Net. Also in my software company, they are desperately looking for more php developers to hire, but they are hard to find. Also, PHP is very easy. And once you've learned it and got a programming mind, you won't have trouble learning other languages. Good Luck.
georgeodowd
Hogwarts wrote:
Star Wars Fanatic wrote:
then I recommend PHP coupled with MySQL, they are quite powerful, and I have found them to be very useful, and lots of fun to code with.

Personally I think you should be suggesting pgSQL there. I've spent the last few years using MySQL as my database engine, only switching in the last few months -- it was like switching from IE to Firefox.

Rather funny though, since I use a database abstraction layer now and don't even handle raw SQL besides the CLI anyway Shocked

Much better databasing system, though

You've made me want to look into postgreSQL now. I've been using mySQL for years, myself, and never thought to look at anything different. However 'like switching from IE to Firefox' is a pretty strong motivator!

(by the by, your signature gave me a rather ripe laughing fit. I adore it.)
pollux1er
Java is more powerfull than PHP.
PHP is more popular and more used than Java.
PHP is free, and Java is a little bit expensive to implement. Because of the platform.
But Java is multiplatform. I mean you can build stand alone application, which is not the case with PHP.

But me I prefer PHP. Don't ask me why. It depends also of your means.
So make your choice! Wink
rvec
Quote:
But Java is multiplatform. I mean you can build stand alone application, which is not the case with PHP.

I have to install jave runtime environment to run java, and php to run php. Don't see how one is more multiplatform or standalone than the other.
snowboardalliance
rvec wrote:
Quote:

I have to install jave runtime environment to run java, and php to run php. Don't see how one is more multiplatform or standalone than the other.

Can't java be compiled so that you don't need the jre to run it? Or am I mistaken.
shkhanal
As I believed, one can't start working professionally just by learning one language only. PHP is great for now! but without the good knowledge of database, servers and present day programming and designing technique, it will be hard to stand.

So to some level you need to learn almost everything. Then choose a particular language to master upon will help you to be a commanding professional. wish you! .
gcaughill
Hello,

Star Wars Fanatic wrote:
africa wrote:

PHP is different from MySQL, and also different from Java, and different from .NET.
PHP is a server side scripting language, which outputs html to the browser, and can also interface with a database, MySQL. Java is a web programming language in which a file is embedded into a web page, it is very much like Flash. And .NET is an application framework.
You really can't compare them to one another. It would be like compare Apple's to Oranges, both fruits, but not alike in the slightest.

What you want to program in depends on what you want to do. If you want useful scripts that run on the fly depending on user input, then you might want PHP, or perhaps one of the server side languages that use .NET: ASP. Whichever one you choose, you will need to know some MySQL for storing information into the database.
If you want to create an environment that is separate from the html in some aspects, and is also pre-compiled to a degree, then you want Java, or perhaps Flash.

It all depends on what you want to do, and how you want to go about doing it.
I love PHP, but before that I was doing Java. Both are quite different, yet both are good at their tasks. If you just want to code useful apps for websites, then I recommend PHP coupled with MySQL, they are quite powerful, and I have found them to be very useful, and lots of fun to code with.

To add to what Star Wars Fanatic is saying, I would recommend PHP and MySQL if you are just getting into programming. Take as much formal education as you can, it makes a difference.

PHP is good because it is open source and works well on LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP) servers, which are the most numerous types of servers on the Internet.

You should also become proficient with HTML, CSS and Javascript. Most PHP programming happens on websites, and learning the above three technologies will make you a more complete programmer. Especially with the emergence of 'Web 2.0', having a good knowledge of Javascript is a very good idea. In addition to knowing basic Javascript, you should have a grasp of a Javascript framework like JQuery, MooTools or YUI. This will help make programming in Javascript (which is a pain) much easier.

So to recap, if you are going to learn PHP you should also take the time to learn MySQL (database), HTML/CSS and Javascript (including a framework).

Hope that helps.
Manofgames
rvec wrote:
Quote:

I think he's refferring to the fact that you can make gui apps with java (Although it is actually possible to make gui apps with php, you just wouldn't want to - it's that complicated).