FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Lets talk about hubble telescope

metalfreek
All of us have seen some fantastic pictures of our universe through the eye of hubble telescope. I have heard that hubble will be out of orbit in few years time. Is it true? And how do you think hubble have contributed us in knowing the universe. This is the official site of hubble telescope http://hubblesite.org/ I have learned a lot from this. May be this will be helpful for you all as well.
{name here}
metalfreek wrote:
All of us have seen some fantastic pictures of our universe through the eye of hubble telescope. I have heard that hubble will be out of orbit in few years time. Is it true? And how do you think hubble have contributed us in knowing the universe. This is the official site of hubble telescope http://hubblesite.org/ I have learned a lot from this. May be this will be helpful for you all as well.

Three words: Hubble Deep Field. That is probably the most awesome picture humanity, and indeed, Hubble, has ever took, if you understand its implications.
metalfreek
I want to add something here. When the Hubble telescope was first sent to orbit it really didnt work. The images send by it was blur and no information could be extracted from it. And NASA had to send another mission to repair the defect of lenses. And finally the mission was successful.
liljp617
metalfreek wrote:
I want to add something here. When the Hubble telescope was first sent to orbit it really didnt work. The images send by it was blur and no information could be extracted from it. And NASA had to send another mission to repair the defect of lenses. And finally the mission was successful.

Well, when it was first sent up, you're right that it wasn't fully functional. They did have the ability to take images and observations of closer objects with good clarity, but the farther images came back as very blurry (almost as if they had been taken from the ground with the atmosphere and all blurring the image).

This is because the primary mirror inside the telescope was misshapen causing the light to bounce more off the sides of the mirror rather than the middle (the company that made the primary mirror did it incorrectly and never made an effort to double check themselves). Thus blurry images.

Another early problem was with the solar arrays (solar panels). When the Hubble Telescope would move in and out of Earth's shadow, it experienced drastic temperature changes which caused the materials that made up the solar arrays to expand/"shrink." This in effect caused the telescope to shake or vibrate when this happened which, as you can imagine, wasn't great for taking observations.

But yes, these problems were fairly quickly recognized and NASA sent a successful mission to replace the mirror as well as apply thermal guards to the solar arrays.
kerryworkman
metalfreek wrote:

I am not sure about it being out of orbit, but I have seen the pictures and I think it has probably contributed alot to our understanding of the universe. In fact I think that the data gathered will still be getting analized and adding to our knowledge of space for many years to come. My mother actually worked on the Hubble Telescope before it went up into space. She always jokes that it wasn't her fault it didn't work she was in charge of the electrical system and not the optics. She supposedly has her name scribed somewhere inside of one of the electrical boxes. Smile
I think it would be cool to have your name floating in space inside a piece of history like that.
Bluedoll
Our Eye in Space - - by Bluedoll

“With just two more service missions, the Hubble's life span would increase by about a decade. However, with NASA's plan to stop these service missions, the Hubble's life will calm to a halt in around 2007.” – College Media Network

http://media.www.lewisflyer.com/media/storage/paper638/news/2004/05/07/News/Will-The.Hubble.Telescope.Go.Out.Of.Orbit-678006-page2.shtml

As I understood from listening to others that I have talked to about the hubble is that there was and is a proactive desire from the scientific and general population to keep this project going. Unlike other scientific projects that come under scrutiny, this one seems to go to the top of the list in popularity. This pervasive cheering keeps the project alive.

Arguments for investments into projects will always exist. For example, one side will say why spend the money when there are other projects in need. Certainly, one project would be a humanitarian one - world starvation. The other side of the equation will respond by saying that these funds only enhance and enable mankind to gain knowledge and thereby better itself in the long run.

The Hubble project though, as far as scientific value goes has seemed to amaze everyone by its popularity, fueled of course by its astonishing results, a window to the grand universe.
metalfreek
Is hubble sure to be out of orbit or is it just a thought?
truespeed
Some pictures taken from the Hubble telescope.

liljp617
metalfreek wrote:
Is hubble sure to be out of orbit or is it just a thought?

I'm not quite sure. I know NASA has reconsidered their stance/plans on taking it out of orbit due to its massive success, but I haven't kept up with it much. I'm sure you could find some articles with a simple Google search.
Firilacroco
Quote:
NASA's Hubble Space Telescope has discovered carbon dioxide in the atmosphere of a planet orbiting another star. This is an important step along the trail of finding the chemical biotracers of extraterrestrial life as we know it.

The Jupiter-sized planet, called HD 189733b, is too hot for life. But the Hubble observations are a proof-of-concept demonstration that the basic chemistry for life can be measured on planets orbiting other stars. Organic compounds can also be a by-product of life processes, and their detection on an Earth-like planet may someday provide the first evidence of life beyond Earth.

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2008/41/

Do you think that aliens are real? Question
Ivanluisky
Amazing pictures, truespeed.
There is one Image Collection ISO to burn with 130 images taken by HST.
A little bit old.. But awesome pics! Razz
carlospro7
I know there is a video which you can find under google videos of the hubble telescope. I think it's in parts and you can watch the whole thing. It's a cool video about the hubble telescope. It covers it's initial stages, the problems, the images it has taken, and it's technology. And it explains why the Hubble Deep Field (as mentioned by {name here}) is one of the most important pictures ever taken by Hubble.
deanhills
Some awesome photos by Hubble. Wish I could turn into Hubble and see all those fantastic sightings, although of course there has to be some guys here on earth, controlling Hubble? Is the switch for taking the photos up in Hubble or down on earth?

Checked out the Website and photos about stars going ballistic! Looks as though the ballistic energy of humans on earth is actually a universal phenomenon!

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2009/03/full/