FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Free energy to mobile devices - Intel

shkhanal
Intel Hopes to Bring Free Energy to Mobile Devices

Its great to read that Intel is making a research to make devices that can run on free energy sources such as environment, body heat and so on. If this became successful, it appears that the burden of recharging mobiles and devices will be over for ever. If Laptops and Mobile Phones could be operated indefinitely without recharging, it should be considered a great achievement and I hope the electronic devices will plunge into the next generation or next era.

Friends what do you think? Please share if you know some more about it.
Georgeboy
I don't believe it will work on online the free energy. There should at least be included a traditional chemical battery. If they should find a solution like the one they are suggesting, I think they will receive many and many prices. The troubles about energy is one of the biggest research objects in some research areas. Everybody understands that there will be a need for new energy sources. If it could come from free energy it would be wonderful.
Why can't I believe it will work? There is already done some research on body heat. But it doesn't work in warm temperatures, because it used the temperature difference to charge. If the outside temperature equals the body temperature, you can't charge. The same is already done by the usage of solar energy, like the new watches of casio. They also need a rechargeable battery for the darker periods. This is already wonderful, but it is only a small device that already get in trouble when it isn't exposed to light after some days...
Josso
This would be fantastic, and I think they should start building them in to AID existing power sources but I don't think it would be possible to power an entire phone for example from just free environmental power sources, it's pushing it a bit.
ocalhoun
For something like a watch, this would be possible; they use minuscule amounts of power, but most personal electronic devices use far more power than is readily available.
psycosquirrel
The way it will work will be simple:

You have a traditional lithium battery, or a NiCad battery, hooked to some sort of a generator that draws energy from body heat, motion, etc.

We are a LOOOONG way away from having this sort of thing widespread. They already make auto-recharging watches that use your body motion to move a piston, recharging the onboard battery. Computers and phones use so much current, it will be awhile before they run on "free energy"
aningbo
i dont wanna have wires all over my body to generate any free electricity.

it would be great if they could actually come up with a wireless technology. not something that can b placed only in some few clothing lines... besides who wants to put on the dress everyday!

finally, lets see how this works out to be. hopefully its not a decade away Smile
coreymanshack
I don't think it's probable. How many hours a day can I then run my laptop? 1 hour, and then I have to hold it all day for it to charge up? I enjoy sticking my laptop on the ac>>dc charger.
shkhanal
I hope the devices too will be further modified and upgraded so that it consumes least required electricity such as LCDs require far less than CRT monitors, CFL requiers 5 times less than normal bulbs.

Who knows what will happen tomorrow!
psycosquirrel
Exactly! It is all about efficiency and modern technology redefining itself.

I'd give it 10-20 years before cell phones have the option to charge using ambient sources.
keane
Great find! If this research becomes successful, it will really be amazing!
leontius
Georgeboy wrote:

Why can't I believe it will work? There is already done some research on body heat. But it doesn't work in warm temperatures, because it used the temperature difference to charge. If the outside temperature equals the body temperature, you can't charge. ...

Room temperature in even tropical countries is 28 celcius degress, while the human body temperature is 37 degrees. 9 degress of difference is quite a lot.

I think using a solar power generator on the mobile devices is the most viable solution. We just need to make it smaller. Or somehow collect power from all the radio waves passing through our body every time (TV, radio, wireless internet, phone network, satellites all use waves of some sort).