FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anyone used IE8 yet?

chasbeen
I was looking forward to trying this out but do not want IE7 overwritten yet.

Thing is I heard Microsoft are contacting the major websites to inform them of what to do to their websites so that they work with the new Browser?

Thats why i'm worried about overwriting IE7 because i'm worried about not being able to view the smaller sites that do not have big money behind them.

What do you think? Question Question Question
LukeakaDanish
I tried ie8. Nothing new rly apart from improved rendering...

Still sucks. Nothing to see here, move along.
dawei
Yeah, I am trying Windows 7

So I am now using IE8

For most sites, I have to use "compatible mode" to view the pages, or I may get a blank page, or the layout of the site is totally confusing.

What a joke, M$ official sites seem not to be compatible with IE8
chasbeen
Microsoft is a big company and as such is in reality made up of smaller departments. It's very hard for changes made by one part to immediately have corresponding changes and hence the ambiguity (Eg Websites made by the Company will not work with the latest Company Browser)

Some of the graphics in IE8 are exceptional and I have heard they are rolling in new functionality.

Imagine having the functionality of a spread sheet, Powerpoint, Word and Development tools all in one piece of software?

Eventually a special microchip will be made to run all the software using the optimum word length to make the loading time more efficient.
the-guide
IE8? For me, NOTHING impressive!
Designerroger
Yeah IE8? its ok but
ozerib
I'm using IE8.. Compared to IE7, it's better but don't expect any innovation... Chrome is better.
rohan
i am using IE 8
it have good performance and it is faster than other IE
new method of keeping tools is good and it is helpful
gilwe
I'm much more "comfortable" with Firefox actually. Latest version can still crash from time to time though.
o_man
I rarely use IE anymore because IE5 is obsolete, IE6 is insecure, and IE7 and IE8 are just too memory intensive. I want to like IE8 because it's a nice piece of software, but it's just too darn slow.
aningbo
i will still stick to firefox. it rules and there's nothing that can stop this. i'm sure of that.

IE sucks with many many attacks and bulky and this and that. of course firefox is bulky too but much better in every way.
o2o213o2
I just installed IE8, it is really good one
biljap
I wanted to try IE8 few months ago. After I installed it and rebooted my computer, I couldn’t start any program and do anything useful. I had to reinstall Windows because of that. Mad
Now, I don’t know if IE8 caused this or something else (I didn’t install anything else at that time), but I’m afraid to try it again and to take that risk.
I don’t use IE anyway… Rolling Eyes
tamilparks
ya us its a beta version there may be some problems... so please wait for a permanent version of 8 after that you can install...
Star Wars Fanatic
tamilparks wrote:
ya us its a beta version there may be some problems... so please wait for a permanent version of 8 after that you can install...

They are rolling out the new version now, and it's expected to be released soon.

Quote:
Some of the graphics in IE8 are exceptional and I have heard they are rolling in new functionality.

Wait, you mean the functionality that's been available in most browsers for years is now available in IE8?
Amazing.

I would like to know how it's going to break the web this time though. It does look like one line of code will push it back to IE7 mode, which is good news, that will be a simple solution to a problem that shouldn't exist.
silverdown
I am not yet because
1) nothing ever changes ... only the viewing experince of the brower.
2) it never faster
3) Lags alot
4-100) just plan sucks

I use firefox and im stickin with that!
r4inm4ker
I'd like to hear opinions from someone who actually tried using it on daily basis, not just assume something because of experience from previous versions. Though I'm currently using firefox and love it alot, I'll open to any other browser that will bring better experience (I've tried Opera and Chrome as alternative browsers).
frenz
i installed ie8 in my vista i like InPrivate Browsing when u click new tab its to slow, i prefer firefox 3 & google chrome to use as browser Very Happy
ThePolemistis
chasbeen wrote:
Microsoft is a big company and as such is in reality made up of smaller departments. It's very hard for changes made by one part to immediately have corresponding changes and hence the ambiguity (Eg Websites made by the Company will not work with the latest Company Browser).

Well if they abided by International html standards / practices, their websites should still function perfectly rather than being "fudged" to work with certain versions of IE because they ignore standards.
LukeakaDanish
ThePolemistis wrote:
chasbeen wrote:
Microsoft is a big company and as such is in reality made up of smaller departments. It's very hard for changes made by one part to immediately have corresponding changes and hence the ambiguity (Eg Websites made by the Company will not work with the latest Company Browser).

Well if they abided by International html standards / practices, their websites should still function perfectly rather than being "fudged" to work with certain versions of IE because they ignore standards.

Microsoft may be big, but they don't have the ability to go back in time.

The fact of the matter is that IE6 was reasonably good when it first came out, but at the end of its usage cycle its very old and outdated. But people still use it - and that's not really Microsofts fault - it's not the default webbrowser on any computer they sell.

That having been said, they have no excuse what so ever for not releasing IE7 with decent at worst CSS2.0 support. It doesn't even come close. (I'm not even certain it's much better than IE6 for real world scenarios!). And now they're struggling with IE8 missing essential Canvas and SVG support, that could truly drive the web to be a more dynamic platform.

Bottom line: don't use IE8 - use firefox, chrome, opera or safari. But if you're a IE6 or IE7 user, and don't feel comfortable using a new browser (for whatever reason), upgrade as soon as the browser is released for general use. From a security and performance standpoint you'd be mad not to!
David_Pardy
I have to put my two cents in.

Microsoft have NEVER conformed to web standards as accurately as the other major browsers.

They have a trend of making their software shinier. They don't optimise their code to make things faster and neater. Firefox was built from the ground up to be the fastest, smallest, most efficient browser on the market. They have succeeded in this.

Microsoft, on the other hand, have always used the pre-existing IE base and build from there. They should focus on speed, security, functionality and standards, and THEN make it shiny, but without compromising for the important things.
LukeakaDanish
David_Pardy wrote:
I have to put my two cents in.

Microsoft have NEVER conformed to web standards as accurately as the other major browsers.

They have a trend of making their software shinier. They don't optimise their code to make things faster and neater. Firefox was built from the ground up to be the fastest, smallest, most efficient browser on the market. They have succeeded in this.

Microsoft, on the other hand, have always used the pre-existing IE base and build from there. They should focus on speed, security, functionality and standards, and THEN make it shiny, but without compromising for the important things.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Trust me, I HATE Microsoft for IE. But that there is misinforming nonsense.

With IE4 (a while back, but nonetheless valid) and AGAIN with IE6 microsoft brought out products that standards-wise where WAY ahead of their competitors. Also, they helped define the standards back in the dawning days of the web.

Microsoft are not focussing on shininess. A new interface doesn't take long to program, and they are right to update it with every version. So does every other browser vendor around. No, for IE8 they are not using the trident engine (that's what it is called), but rather starting from scratch with a mostly new engine.

Firefox was never built to be the fastest. In fact, it uses sluggish old Gecko, which performs MUCH worse than almost all competitors, because of its complexity. IE7 may be worse than FF2 (the fair comparison), but not by much - and memory management wise, I would prefer the IE7 model - FF2 isn't useful for more than 1 hour useage, before all your ram is eaten by garbage data!

Firefox is not the "smallest" browser around. Seriously. That's a ridiculous remark!

Microsoft are actually putting a LOT of work into functionality, which REALLY does show in IE8. in fact, they've added many features that I'm sure will be copied to other browsers given time. Also they pass ACID 2 - so they're making headway standards-wise. Still a lot of work ahead, but they certainly give hope for a brighter future.
David_Pardy
Wasn't IE4 the browser that received the MOST criticism for defying the current web standard at the time? I'm sure it was.

IE6 was just a slightly more polished version of 5.5. It was still behind as far as conforming to standards was concerned.

In my experience, Firefox performs faster than IE5.5, 6, 7 and the one version of Opera which I tried. Firefox 3 is faster than ever. My information of the 'size' of the browser is going by data which is probably a couple of years old at this point but it was still valid at the time.

And it seems that I must be the only person in the world who has been running Firefox pre release, 1, 1.5, 2 and now 3 for up to 8 hours straight visiting dozens of websites - all in ONE session. I am aware there were memory issues with Firefox 2, but I'm fairly certain they were resolved early on - I never experienced them after a certain point, anyway.

There is nothing wrong with updating the UI, of course you want to continually improve it to make it better. But I'll use a good comparison point - Office 2007 in comparison to 2003. 2007 is an AWFUL interface. It's designed to be "pretty" and "helpful" and completely defeats what 2003 had in ease of use. What if we hearken back to the WordPerfect days, and the great interface WP had? I know people who personally refused to let go of WP when "upgrading" to Office 97 because it just simply wasn't as good to use.

Then, when you look at Microsoft's history of product 'upgrades', what do you see? An increase in disk space usage, prettier interfaces, coupled with very few added features and slower performance. There is very little that you can do in Office 2007 which you can't do in Office 97. Worth the upgrade? Not for 99% of users.

Internet Explorer is no different. Of course they have to make changes and update things, but at the end of the day it's still a slow, buggy, non-compliant bloated piece of software. IE 5.5 was the closest thing towards a 'good' release of IE.
pho3nixsky
Firefox over IE anyday. Even opera over IE. I really hate IE, too much javascript errors for coding i make and its such an easy target for malware.
welshsteve
Not tried IE8 but I'm sticking with Firefox. For fast rendering, Opera is very very good. There's another new browser called Lunascape which has all three major rendering engines built in and you can switch between them:

Trident (Internet Explorer)
Gecko (Firefox)
WebKit (Safari)
forkei
Now I use firefox and sometimes i use IE 7,I think the firefox is better than ie ,
welshsteve
Forgot to say that as a web developer, I use a variety of browsers for testing web pages.

In all I use Firefox 3, IE7, Opera 9 and Safari, as well as (where I can) IE6 on Windows. I also have virtual box installed on my machine witrh a few different distros of Linux so I can test my sites in Firefox on Linux as well.
amperx
tried IE8 nothing new there, but it your a web developer, then you should have the stand alone version of it, for browser compatibility test for your xhtml.
khanzin
Faster, but with low compatibility yet.

Some interessing options like google maps and others.

Maybe better on final release.

Laughing
kvrss
maybe i will swich to IE8 when i migrate to windows 7.
in the meantime i recommend opera 10. due to the low market share of opera it is quite secure.
in addition it is a kind of firefox but it has included all usefull packages by standard. Wink
welshsteve
Opera is very fast at rendering pages. It's not as customizable as Firefox is, but it's sleek and clean interface make it very nice to use.
ThePolemistis
LukeakaDanish wrote:

Microsoft may be big, but they don't have the ability to go back in time.

The fact of the matter is that IE6 was reasonably good when it first came out, but at the end of its usage cycle its very old and outdated. But people still use it - and that's not really Microsofts fault - it's not the default webbrowser on any computer they sell.

IE 6 was an incomplete browser from the day it was released - far from good.
Microsoft have implemented what other browsers have had for years, at least 5 years too late.
Opera was the first browser to have tabbed browsing and that was in version 3 it had that and it was in 16bit version.

Has IE 7 even passed the Acid2 test yet?
Hows IE 8 on the Acid3 test?

IE is an embarrasment to the browser industry. When will they make a browser that has features like or better than its competitors?
ortie10
I've been using IE8 as soon as the beta download was available. I also use Apple Safari, Fire Fox and Google Chrome. I've been working on some websites so it helps to see the web content through more than one pair of eyes. What I've learned is that it is give or take with these browsers. One does better with this but lacks in that. Fire Fox has all the bells and whistles while Apple Safari delivers smooth and rich web content. EI8 Is right in be tween them both. Google Chrome is trying to bring innovation to web browsing. In the end they are all trying to do something better than the other, sounds like a bunch of three year olds to me. Use them all, after all differnt is good sometimes.
dickyzin
I just tried IE8 yesterday. It's definitely the best Internet Explorer version. It's got good features, like the Accelerators.However, I still find Google Chrome to be much faster - faster than Mozilla Firefox even. I'll keep playing around with IE8 and then decide which one to use as my default.
forkei
i use the IE8 ,but i think the firefox is better than ie8
retro-tracker
ye i used IE8, but i think its not very best because my friend can hacking this
dickyzin
What do you mean your friend can hack this? Share us some more insights so we know what the vulnerabilities are with IE8.
Hogwarts
dickyzin wrote:
What do you mean your friend can hack this? Share us some more insights so we know what the vulnerabilities are with IE8.

There aren't any major ones in an updated version of windows; unless he means something idiotic like rickrolling Rolling Eyes
Jean-Clod
I'm using windows 7, with IE8

I think IE8 is the best Browser of the IE-Microsoft ones, even better than Firefox
I used Firefox for ages, now I'm using Opera. Even if Opera definitely IS the best browser, IE8 has lots of included things that you need to add as a plugin in Firefox. I admit the IE8 Beta does have some compatibility problems, (I often have problems in the Intel support page, but well, the IE7-engine-mode overwhelms them Smile )

So, my descending list of browsers:
-Opera, the BEST, fastest, nicest, everything-est
-IE8, even if the Beta still has some Bugs, the stable release will be good enough I think
-Firefox, OK it's good, better than IE7, but with the plug-ins needed to have the same functionality as in Opera or in IE8, it turns out to be DAMN laggish

I didn't even test Chrome, maybe it's fast, but I've heard of many complains, so , Why Chrome?
Same for Safari, it's just the Apple-Copy of Opera, all the things that are "exceptional' for the Safari 4 Beta are just present in Opera since 9.x

So, Hum.. Just wait for the final release of IE8! Or use Opera instead
soljarag
I tried it.... so far so good...

I could never get used to firefox... I know it sounds stupid, but in firefox its soooo annoying how you open a new tab... in IE you just click beside the current tab...

in firefox you gotta do file>new tab or use the keyboard shortcut
Ninjacide
Firefox is highly supported and readily productive in security fixes and otherwise performance and stability.
I'll stick to FF thank you..
biljap
I’ve tried IE 8. It is OK, I’ve never had any problem with stability or something like that but I really miss add-ons that I have in Firefox and that’s why I use it only when I have problem opening some pages in it. IE opens everything.
anakin_skyrunner
Please, please, please: everybody who still uses ie6 or 7, upgrade! Your doing everybody a favour by doing so. Personally I'd recommend Firefox, Chrome or Opera, which is the browser I use.
bukaida
IE 8 graphical interface is good. A new feature( if you call it new!!) called in-private browsing is introduced which clears up all the cookies and passwords on exit (But this can be easily done by adjusting the settings in IE7 itself). So technicaly no major improvement, visualy a little bit good in rendering and support for UTF 8.
bigt
LukeakaDanish wrote:
I tried ie8. Nothing new rly apart from improved rendering...

Still sucks. Nothing to see here, move along.

Lol, exactly. I installed 8 the other day b/c M$ Update was complaining and I figure they probably broke something and I should start playing with the new version before the calls from users start rolling in. Several have already commented on cosmetic changes, etc. I like the button to put it into compatibility mode (aka use Ie7 b/c we broke your site mode). I do like the fact that it highlights the portion of the URL in the address bar; maybe it'll help users fall for phishing schemes less. GRC's Security Now podcast had an interesting episode (#189) on IE8.

Happy Browsing! (I'll stick to my Firefox with NoScript and other plugins)
Raidation
IE8?

It sucks. Windows kept thinking (in a way) that I was using IE7. It made me reinstall IE8 about what, 7 times?

IE8 is really slow. I personally think Microsoft should just stop attempting to make these mediocre applications for Windows. They suck. Other than Visual Studio, of course.

Nothing's new. Don't install. All that's been changed is that the address bar and back button and stuff have been moved above the menubar with the File, Edit, etc. stuff on it. I'm not sure if that was in IE7.

Don't waste time with Microsoft.
liliansi
I use it. It's great. I'm a Firefox fan but this time Microsoft did the right thing. I'm a web-designer and IE8 resolved alla CSS compatibility problems
guggs
I've been using it for a little while and it's fine. My bank's website reports it as a "non-supported browser" but that's a problem in their code rather than with IE itself.
silverdown
I am using IE8 only because i am a web developing and like to make sure all browsers work. I do think in my opinion it better then 7 just a bit more lag with flash and movies. I also use all browsers anyhow depending on the day, i like change, one scenery is boring.
papa12inch
IE8 has many CSS standards now fully functional, MS still needs work but it is progressing in the right direction.