FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SP3 issues?

thadnation
A few days ago I got tired of my mac not working for me, so I decided to blow off steam and reinstall Windows XP virtualized on my mac. After a breezy install and a couple quick configuration changes, I ran updates. I always install all the updates, optional or not.

Anyway, I updated the mandatory things update needs to run, restarted, and after update refused to load an I had flushed the dns a few times, i installed sp2.

at this point, i'm still good. norton auto-protect takes some time to start up so I had to make windows stop monitoring it, but otherwise things were fine. I restarted for probbly the fourth time, and ran update again.

this time, it asked me to install sp3, in addition to media player 11, a .NET sp, and search 4.0. I did the updates, restarted agin, and SUDDENLY EVERYTHING SUCKS!! Starting up went from taking maybe 30-45 second to taking two minutes. everything loads slower.

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM?? ALSO, HOW DO I FIX IT? IS IT SEARCH, SP3, OR DOES MY COMP JUST SUCK?

currently I have norton, search 4.0, spybot's tea timer, and whatever ctfmon is running at startup.
Studio Madcrow
Ditch Norton, for a start. It's useless and bloated and provides no more protection from computer viruses than, say, a paper bag provides from the real life sort. Other than that, I can't think what could be wrong, as SP3, in general, seems to provide a performance increase.
thadnation
i replaced norton with avira, removed search and tea timer, and got rid of ie 8. things seem to be working perfectly again.