FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is your Fedora wide-screen aware?

dawei
Hi,

I have been using Fedora 9 recently. And I really wanna say, it is great.

So as soon as Fedora 10 is released, I get it installed on my PC.

Well, here comes the problem:

No options related to wide-screen (16:10, Samsung T220P) resolution is listed. But under Fedora 9, a 1440x900 resolution which is my favourite is available.

So, has any one got the same trouble?
surdy
I'm not sure what prompted you to ask this question. I mean did you face problem with widescreen display in Fedora recently.

I have a Widescreen laptop and Fedora 10 does display fine. The resolution i'm working on is 1280x768

I guess you surely would like Fedora 10, working fine for me till now with its best new feature ( for me) its excellent boot time. Its really quick.
Fire Boar
I've never seen a Linux distribution that has XOrg without widescreen support. So, I suppose the answer is yes.
dawei
Hi

Thanks for your replies.

Sure, F10 is really excellent. Well, I simply can't set a 1440x900 resolution (16:10), but I can set this under F9. So, it is due to the driver? Or can I make a kernel modification to the kernel?

I ask this question, because if I set a 1920x1200 resolution, the fonts seem too small. So I'd prefer 1440x900.
Fire Boar
It's probably something in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file but I wouldn't know exactly what you should change.
mehulved
Fire Boar wrote:
I've never seen a Linux distribution that has XOrg without widescreen support. So, I suppose the answer is yes.

This depends on your graphics card, the presence of proper graphics driver in the distribution and linux support for the driver for that graphics card.
I have seen Ubuntu and Fedora able to handle widescreen easily on 2 installs I carried out on 2 PC's at friend's places. No additional configuration was required at all. Except removing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in case of Fedora as it was an upgrade from F9. As soon as I removed that, things worked great. FYI, one was a 17" WS from AOC and another a 19" one from Samsung.
Fire Boar
mehulved wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:

This depends on your graphics card, the presence of proper graphics driver in the distribution and linux support for the driver for that graphics card.
I have seen Ubuntu and Fedora able to handle widescreen easily on 2 installs I carried out on 2 PC's at friend's places. No additional configuration was required at all. Except removing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in case of Fedora as it was an upgrade from F9. As soon as I removed that, things worked great. FYI, one was a 17" WS from AOC and another a 19" one from Samsung.

There you have it then. Try renaming /etc/X11/xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.oldbackup or something.
mehulved
Fire Boar wrote:
There you have it then. Try renaming /etc/X11/xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.oldbackup or something.
Yes. The new Xorg server doesn't really reqire the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. It auto detects the required modules, drivers and options on the fly, subject to it's availability. And it does a really good job of it in most case. Kudos to the Xorg developers for that.
toxictux
I am using Fedora on a wide screen monitor. i think fresh install already takes care of it. if you want to reset and start again,

keep backup copy of xorg.conf.
remove xorg.conf
run system-config-display as root
and it should be straightforward from there.

post you finidings...
albuferque
Fedora is just great! You can also output to a High-Definition TV:

http://www.wilsonet.com/mythtv/mythhd.php