FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Doamin age and Page rank

frih
Does domain age increases the page rank of a website? Is it true?
assailant
Nope.. it is not practically possible to determine the age of a domain. That would require the search engine to query the WHOIS database for each domain it indexes and then get the date of registration. This would be even more complicated by the fact that relatively old domains have been transferred from registrar to registrar quite many no. of times.

On top of it, the age of a domain does not at all determine the quality of the website. However, as a general rule, as a domain with an active site gets older, more and more pages link to it [it is however absolutely essential that the website under that domain is active]. And the more no. of pages linking to that site, better is the page rank.

You may have read at some registrar's site that buying a 2 year domain is better than getting a 1 year domain from the SEO point of view.. but in my opinion it is just a marketing gimmick.
k_s_baskar
Domain Age won't affect google pagerank. In my view Backlinks is the only thing to get page rank in google. Smile
truespeed
If it did,symbolics.com the oldest registered website would be PR 10 but its only PR 5.
the-guide
Does domain age increases the page rank of a website?
It's true
and...
It did
but...
isn’t the only criteria that goes into the Google's consideration to evaluate a website’s page rank.
However, if you don’t have an old website, don’t worry, just concentrate on the content, building
relationships and links, and making sure your audience knows you have the goods that are worth
returning for.
gcaughill
I do not know the 'official' rule, but the general rule is the older the domain, the more trusted it will be seen as.
gcaughill
The following link shows off a lot more of the factors that you also have to account for:

http://www.dailyblogtips.com/seo-checklist/

Hope that helps.
winmark
It definitely affects the pagerank. Just like any other business, website's age matters as well.
distantship
I think it does, cos' I have a few new websites that got a lot of quality backlinks, but their pagerank never get passed PR3, however, I have a few other websites those don't have many backlinks, but they are aged domains and they easily got pr4+, therefore, I think although domain age is not the major issue when google calculating pagerank, but it definitely would help you to get higher pagerank. For example, if a new domain worth pr4, but it is new (under 1 year), it would only got pagerank 3 tops, but if a aged domain worth pr3, but it is over 10 years old, it can easily get pagerank 4 if other SEO factors are healthy enough Smile Just my opinions.
GB
I'm pretty sure that the age of a webpage itself influences PR. I know that at my company there was some talk about changing the homepage from index.html to index.php, but decided not to because it wouldn't be as old.
gcaughill
GB wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the age of a webpage itself influences PR. I know that at my company there was some talk about changing the homepage from index.html to index.php, but decided not to because it wouldn't be as old.

That would affect rankings a little, at least for a short while. But I think he was talking about the actual domain, not individual page titles.

ie.

1. http://www.site1.com/ to http://www.site2.com/
instead of
2. http://www.site1.com/page1 to http://www.site1.com/page2

It is a much bigger change to do #1 than it is to do #2.

Hope that helps.
awazdohamko2004
well can any one tell me how does alexa rank work ...
polly-gone
Age isn't going to affect it. Awhile back I had purchased a domain from somebody that had not site hosted on it, it was just parked an hanging out waiting for someone to buy it. The domain was something like 8 years old. I really hope that that page wouldn't have a high page rank in the state that it was in...

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
riccopt
why do people care so much about PAGE RANK?!
what good does a HIGH PR does to your website?

you can have a page with HIGH PR that doesn't show up on a good position for the term you are looking for... and might have pages with low PR that are on the top of GOOGLE...
polly-gone
Page Rank is good because the higher your page rank, the more likely your page is going to be near the top of Google, which gets you more traffic. Page Rank is used heavily in determined relevant materials.

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
wanshi
generally, a bigger site age is better for pr, because owner of site will always optimize the site , so the site quality will be improved gradually.