FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ear Candles

johnstonv
Has anyone ever tried ear candles? I often get wax build up and interested to know if these work and what peoples experiences are with them.

Are there some that are better than others? Any special techniques for using them?

Interested to know other peoples experiences with these.
badai
you should see your doctor. he can give you ear drop to loosen the wax and it will fall off by its own, or if the wax is too thick, he will use syringe to get it out. this procedure usually cost very, very little, about your normal cough medicine.

getting a hot melting candle in your ears is kind of nuts.
badai
if you have any "doctor phobia" condition, you can also get the ear drop from your pharmacy. at where I live, the cost of ear drop is about the same with 1 lunch.

again, spending 3 time than your lunch to have hot melting candle pour into your ears is kind of insane.
RubySlasher
When I was little, like 4 or so, my mom blatantly showed me that ear wax was not real wax by taking a giant gob from her ear and lighting it on fire.
It just burned up and went out.

So yeah... didn't melt at all.

Why the hell do they call it ear wax...
badai
because it look waxy.

this is a very normal way for normal people to call stuffs -- they always use name that can relate to something familiar.
RubySlasher
But why not ear boogers or ear scum? It's about the same.
badai
you can call it whatever you want. popularize it as much as you can. but don't forget to have some kind of evidence that you started it all.

one day when they enter your term in oxford dictionary, you can tell your grandchildren how you start it all. they will be very proud of you.

now go start a topic about ear boggers / scums.

and create another topic again next week, and the week after.
bonestorm74
A few times over the course of my life I've had pretty nasty wax build ups in my ears. Probably didn't help that I used cotton buds etc to get wax out, in fact all this does is push wax further down and compact it.

So yeh, a couple of times it got so bad that my hearing was blocked. I had to go to the doctor and they basically flush it out by pushing in warm water on a certain angle. Very weird sensation, although a great relief when it comes out.

The last time it happened it took quite an effort to get all of it out. The wax looked pretty dark, I suspect it had been in there quite a while. I was certainly hearing much more clearly than I had in a long time, so who knows how long it had been clogging up.

Anyway, I try not to shove anything in my ears anymore.
FunDa
What exactly are ear candles ?

Are they candles made from earwax ? Or are they some sort of strange and painfully hot technique to get wax out of your ears ?

I sure hope its the fromer !!! Wink
badai
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear_candle

Quote:
Ear candling, also called ear coning or thermal-auricular therapy, is an alternative medicine practice claimed to assist the natural clearing of earwax from a person's ear by lighting one end of a hollow candle and placing the other end in the ear canal. According to medical researchers, it is both dangerous and ineffective.

candle made from ear wax? eeewwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!! you gross!!
RubySlasher
Whoa, that's intense and doesn't seem too good. If you want to soften your earwax to make it easier to remove, try olive oil.

But going to a doctor for an ear syringing isn't too bad of an idea. I had it done before. It was kind of fun. (Tickles a bit, I thought water was coming out my eyes, it was amazing.)
mejo1900
My friend did this once in China and there was also a ton of non-wax, but still organic material that they said was "bad chi". Anyone know what it really is? I have been wondering for some time.
jessicawalker
Ear candles are strips of cloth that are dipped in wax and wrapped and dried in a thin, funnel shape. The tip is then inserted into your ear and the top is lit (you should wrap a towel around your head at the bottom to prevent the wax from dripping onto you). As the candle burns down, it creates a gentle suction and supposedly cleans out your ear. You don't let it burn all the way to your head. When it's burned down a bit, you can actually cut the excess candle open and see what it's sucked out. I've done it and seemed to work quite a bit. When I did it to the first ear, my head actually felt unbalanced. I didn't have any wax drip into my ear or any discomfort.
youandmephotography
I think the drops of ear-wax-loosener are a much better idea than the candles. Anything is better than do it yourself candle wax being poured into your ear. With drops, there is a much lower chance of you messing something up, or doing a procedure wrong.

However, the first choice would be to visit a doctor of course!
FunDa
jessicawalker wrote:
Ear candles are strips of cloth that are dipped in wax and wrapped and dried in a thin, funnel shape. The tip is then inserted into your ear and the top is lit (you should wrap a towel around your head at the bottom to prevent the wax from dripping onto you). As the candle burns down, it creates a gentle suction and supposedly cleans out your ear. You don't let it burn all the way to your head. When it's burned down a bit, you can actually cut the excess candle open and see what it's sucked out. I've done it and seemed to work quite a bit. When I did it to the first ear, my head actually felt unbalanced. I didn't have any wax drip into my ear or any discomfort.

Aren't there less dangerous ways of getting the wax sucked out of your ear than burning a candle in it ? Confused

Is there any technique using a normal syringe or anything like a plunger(kidding)

The ear candle thingie sounds dangerous!