FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

U2 or Coldplay biggest band in the world..

IrishOscalinaWilde
So Coldplay have released a huge multi-award winning album earlier this year "Viva La Vida", do U2 still have what it takes to reclaim their throne with their latest offering?
Very Happy
liljp617
Neither is the biggest band in the world -.-

There is no metric to determine the "biggest band in the world." If music awards and album sales are a metric, still neither of these bands are at the top.
lethaltriad
liljp617 wrote:

There is no metric to determine the "biggest band in the world." If music awards and album sales are a metric, still neither of these bands are at the top.

according to album sales though who would be the biggest group? the Beetles? just curious

Always been a fan of coldplay though more than U2. Their newest album isnt as good for me as their previous ones but I still have it on repeat because I love Lovers in Japan and Lost among the other hits.
liljp617
lethaltriad wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

according to album sales though who would be the biggest group? the Beetles? just curious

Always been a fan of coldplay though more than U2. Their newest album isnt as good for me as their previous ones but I still have it on repeat because I love Lovers in Japan and Lost among the other hits.

Well, nobody truly knows accurately the number of sales, but the top 5 listed as best selling artists of all time are:

The Beatles, Bing Crosby, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, and Michael Jackson.

Each is estimated to have sold over 500 million or more records worldwide.

As far as I know, Michael Jackson's Thriller is the best selling album of all time with over 100 million copies sold worldwide.
venometal
u2 is bigger than coldplay but not the biggest one in the world .))
sondosia
I can't believe Thriller is so popular. I've always found it SOOOO annoying. =)
rockstar
Didn't even realise Coldplay were still going! Dreary, morose student drivel if I remember rightly.
U2? Yup HUGE! Still. Not really my cuppa either, but can't deny them.

According to Wikipedia, by individual album

Micheal Jackson - Thriller
AC/DC - Back in Black
Eagles - Greatest hits

U2 are in at 26 with Joshua Tree
Coldplay are not even on the list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums_worldwide
killerqueen
liljp617 wrote:

Ditto.
leontius
Yeah... some bands might be popular in a country or in europe but in others countries they may be unheard of... and the most important thing is that you enjoy them Smile
pll
U2 was out before Coldplay
And I prefer U2.
Fake
COldplay gets my vote
nice music
shindig
sondosia wrote:
I can't believe Thriller is so popular. I've always found it SOOOO annoying. =)

It's a bloody good song in itself. You probably find it annoying BECAUSE you've heard it played so many times... which is because its so popular.
chartcentral
venometal wrote:
u2 is bigger than coldplay but not the biggest one in the world .))

I'd agree with this one. U2 is bigger than Coldplay (over-all). But to scale as the "biggest" band in the world, there are a lot of criteria to consider and base it on. I'd accept though if you say they are "one of the biggest bands of all time." On the other hand, Coldplay is currently hot on the scene, and U2 has become sort of less visible (or "audible") these days. Smile
eday2010
If U2 would release an album more frequently than every 4 years, they would be more visible. I notice this with every band. Back in the 60's, the likes of the Beatles, Rolling Stones, and Johnny Cash were releasing two, sometimes three albums A YEAR. Then it was once a year. Eventually in the late 80's and the 90's it was an album every two years. Now it's once every 3 of 4 years. No wonder people lose interest in singers and bands. I don't think any band is the most popular worldwide these days, where the put out an album (with fewer than the standard 12 songs it used to be), where only a couple are good and the rest is just filler to make it an album. I don't really pay attention to the current music "scene". Too many bands with too few releases.
Asap170
Definitely U2.
Denvis
Without looking at the statistics I’d have to go with my gut and say U2; simply because they've been out longer although I do enjoy Coldplay more than U2.
stel4e
I can't choose between the two of them Smile
welshsteve
Neither for me.

Metallica tops the pair of them, or certainly they used to.
gandalfthegrey
Yuck! Neither.

They both only have two decent songs each.
paulotlet
Neither one

The Biggest bands in the world are Ths Smiths and Legião Urbana
but i like u2 and coldplay as well

cya
welshsteve
paulotlet wrote:
Neither one

The Biggest bands in the world are Ths Smiths and Legião Urbana
but i like u2 and coldplay as well

cya

Love The Smiths, but as they aren't around anymore, they don't really count do they? Wink
fuhgeddaboutit
Coldplay blows,
the only thing I like about Chris Martin is his wife
smiteme
I think coldplay is rather a very average band. course they had some good hits, but don't even come near about U2.

And yeah U2 is easily the BIGGEST band in the world. Well now americans may not like it, but now hardly anybody gives a shit about what they think.
stel4e
I don't know about the biggest band in the world... I like both of them ... but my favorite is Coldplay. I just love them.
gverutes
I think U2 or Green Day would take that prize these days...plus Coldplay sucks.
slashnburn99
I have a compliment for ColdPlay

my work colleague for the last 10 years, used to have Coldplay as their warm up band as they had the same manager etc

Coldplay took the chance in the 90s and my mates band didn`t, hence he is still my work colleague, brilliant bass player though.

That original band split up but they all play in different bands now. But coldplay still take the texts from the old band members and sort them out with tickets, backstage etc.

Yellow is still my favourite song although Clocks is not far behind.

U2 cant help you there...
phantombr
I really like Coldplay, recalls one time very happy at first worked as an intern I did!
bloodrider
Neiiither =S
metalfreek
If you are trying to compare these two bands only then I would say coldplay is better then U2 in my view.
saunah
It's hard to gauge who the biggest band in the world is. But between the two, U2 is bigger than Coldplay. Both are great actually. But U2 has already proven a lot when it comes to their musicality.
peypeypopcorn
HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY WOAHWOAHWOAH. WOAH.
so lets not be biased here. some of the "U2, Totally." comments could be coming from U2s biggest fans or people who are into the music from their youth, like U2s hits from the 80s. some hardly know a thing about coldplay. i for one, am not biased. U2 and Coldplay are my two favorite bands and i love them both equally. i just happened to come across this forum. i love U2s older hits and hits from their newer albums. i love coldplay and was a fan even when they werent as popular. now, even though there is no way to measure this, i can safely say that the beatles are the biggest band ever. bigger than mj, black eyed peas, elvis, whatever. (also a fan of these bands) but, sadly, the beatles are not a band anymore so they dont count. and not to say that coldplay is the biggest (or most well known) band in the world, but their fanbase is honestly bigger than U2. not towith the release of their last 2 albums in 2010 and 2012 theyre already famous status has gone way up. a coldplay concert would certainly sell out faster than a bono or U2 concert. say that either is a better band, but the majority of the english-speaking population that you pull over on the streets know of both these bands. but just saying, U2 IS NOT BIGGER THAN COLDPLAY. THEY ARE THE SAME, IF COLDPLAY IS NOT BIGGER. and coldplays fanbase will continue to grow. so sorry. Love you bono, love you chris. Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall
Blummer
I love both of them, don't like when people try to oppose them or try to find differences or else. For me first two albums by Coldplay from 2000 and 2002 are masterpieces. U2 are in my music library as well and I particularly love listening to stuff from Unforgettable Fire to Zooropa. A bit of POP as well.
Tuvitor
I hate Coldplay and love U2. That said, I would say neither of them are the "biggest band".
ratanegra
The greatest band in the wold is Empyrium.

/thread
welshsteve
Metallica !!
cnitolo
If it is to choose between the two as is the question I'm with U2!
johans
IrishOscalinaWilde wrote:
So Coldplay have released a huge multi-award winning album earlier this year "Viva La Vida", do U2 still have what it takes to reclaim their throne with their latest offering?
Very Happy

I Like U2. Very Happy
lightrea6
[color=white]COLDPLAY ROCKS!!!!!!!! Who is U2? Applause Applause Applause yeah Coldplay! whooooo!