FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Quick question on human pregnancy...

liljp617
I was wondering if anybody had statistics on some relative % of how many zygotes actually fully develop into a living individual (certainly not 100% correct?).
LukeakaDanish
I don't know the answer, but I know its not 100%...there's always the chance that some mutation has occoured / som genetic disease kills the zygote before it ever matures to a baby... Crying or Very sad
ParsaAkbari
The path from sperm duct to zygote is extreamly hard, so only the best fittest and most strong sperm survive, that way the chance of a "retarded" baby growing is low, since all the "retarded" sperm has died.

Sorry about my use of language, i am busy and did this underpressure, but you get my point.
Ankhanu
ParsaAkbari wrote:
The path from sperm duct to zygote is extreamly hard, so only the best fittest and most strong sperm survive, that way the chance of a "retarded" baby growing is low, since all the "retarded" sperm has died.

Sorry about my use of language, i am busy and did this underpressure, but you get my point.

Not quite true. The motile viability of a sperm is not necessarily related to the integrity of the DNA contained within. It IS a difficult journey and most don't survive, but it isn't necesarily related to whether or not there are defects in the DNA within its capsule. There are some links between sperm phenotype and genotype, but the defects that would lead to a physically or mentally... deficient... being may not have any role to play in sperm phenotype... there may be oocyte selective processes by which the oocyte selects which male pronuclei are used after syngamy, however, which may reduce the likelihood of those defective genes being passed on.

William V Holt and Katrien J W Van Look. 2004. Concepts in sperm heterogeneity, sperm selection and sperm competition as biological foundations for laboratory tests of semen quality. Reproduction 127: 527-535
Is an interesting little read.