FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Router says DL-2336 but speed limits @ 40 any ideas

Teezgaff
Hi all, over the last few days my download speed has died.. When downloading I can only get 40kbps where last week I was getting 280 - 300kbps.
My router is saying it's connected at 2336 at the moment (varies from 1800 - 2500, I have 2M connection package) upload speed 448 (which is constant).
Have used 2 different routers (so that's not the problem)
Have run speedtest.net with same results.

Is my ISP restricting my bandwidth? (The Post Office)
Can I use a proxy to bypass if they are?
Marcuzzo
hello Teezgaff,

is this notable on all downloads or only on a specific one?
1. what you are downloading?
2. from which host ?
3. using which application? download manager, browser, a/emule, ect

download speeds can vary from server to server, depending on the contract with their ISP and available BandWidth.

may also be interesting to know if this started out of the blue or after a specific action, connection up/downgrade, works in the streets, dog eating router/in-house cabling... you may laugh.. this happened to me Very Happy
I found out by pinging my own IP.

let me know, I'll be happy to help
Teezgaff
Initially I thought it could have been because I watch NASA TV, the odd footie game and a few downloads, but over the last year the feed has been perfect. Then I thought maybe the router had overheated or developed a fault, so did the usual with that (reset, reboot etc). I also changed the router to my old BT 1800 just to make sure (this is still on my network).

About 1/2 hr ago thought I'd try something large so connected to watch the end of the Man U game (thru sopcast). After about 10 mins of stuttering the feed came up to 90% and played perfectly again. Just run another speedtest and got:-

Still not as good as it was but is considerably better LOL... Just scared to restart my router now incase it falls again.
Marcuzzo
hi teezgaff,
nice to read that your connection has improved.

should this occur again, what you could do is perform several ping tests with repeat 1000 or so, to check if this is a local issue or not.
ping your router, then the BT modem and check if one of these shows slow response times.

if all these test are ok you can be pretty sure that your equipment is fine and that this is an issue that needs to be resolved by BT.
Craeft
Teezgaff wrote:
Hi all, over the last few days my download speed has died.. When downloading I can only get 40kbps where last week I was getting 280 - 300kbps.
My router is saying it's connected at 2336 at the moment (varies from 1800 - 2500, I have 2M connection package) upload speed 448 (which is constant).

It doesn't sound like access restriction. 40k is pretty damned slow. First things first, I would call them and ask them what the hell is going on. If they blame it on your equipment (which they will... they always do), hook your computer up directly to the internet connection (take the router out of it).
See what speed you get then. If it's faster, you know it's a network issue.

Remember, though... if you're metering from the icon in your systray, that's telling you the speed that the computer is connected at. So it will tell you 2336 even if you're not getting that.

If the speed issue is between the router and the computer, and you said you tried other routers as well, then I would recommend looking at firewalls (both on the computer and on the router) and disabling them for testing purposes. Any proxies that may be running. Port blockages/regulations, etc.
Craeft
Teezgaff wrote:

It doesn't sound like access restriction. 40k is pretty damned slow. First things first, I would call them and ask them what the hell is going on. If they blame it on your equipment (which they will... they always do), hook your computer up directly to the internet connection (take the router out of it).
See what speed you get then. If it's faster, you know it's a network issue.

Remember, though... if you're metering from the icon in your systray, that's telling you the speed that the computer is connected at. So it will tell you 2336 even if you're not getting that.

If the speed issue is between the router and the computer, and you said you tried other routers as well, then I would recommend looking at firewalls (both on the computer and on the router) and disabling them for testing purposes. Any proxies that may be running. Port blockages/regulations, etc.

By the way... is the router WiFi or Cat5E? How are you connected to the router?