FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Transparent frog

Voodoocat
Just what everyone wants for Christmas: a transparent frog! Researchers managed to selectively breed a frog with skin so transparent that you can see its innards at work. Pretty cool. Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsRTxdqhl0E
prithvi
Wow! Japanese 'see-through' frogs!

I want one Laughing

anyways, nice breakthrough in research.........will lead to lesser frogs becoming lab victims now.
taytay
haha. That's awesome! It kind of makes me wonder what kind of crazy advantages america would have if we didn't have to pay our military (and then some). naww, We'd probably be more a more prideful country.

yay to the japanese! Would make a good pranking animal. Think of your sister waking up with not just a frog, but a transparent frog in her bed..

I wonder if they could do this to humans....
ParsaAkbari
That is quite intresting! I guess i would like to have one. i wonder what its like when the frog is digesting something...
Xanatos
taytay wrote:
haha. That's awesome! It kind of makes me wonder what kind of crazy advantages america would have if we didn't have to pay our military (and then some). naww, We'd probably be more a more prideful country.

yay to the japanese! Would make a good pranking animal. Think of your sister waking up with not just a frog, but a transparent frog in her bed..

I wonder if they could do this to humans....

Actually, quite a few technological advances have come from military research. Currently I think that DARPA is going to come out with some revolutionary technologies soon. Have you seen their exoskeleton project? It's awesome.

Quote:
In 2000, DARPA requested design proposals for a powered military exoskeleton. Of the 14 designs submitted, DARPA chose the one submitted by Sarcos. The Sarcos design involves a suit powered by a single engine, including a tank holding 24 hours of fuel, that sits near the wearer's buttocks. The suit gives the wearer increased strength and endurance through servo motors powered by the engine. The finished suit is named the XOS Exoskeleton and weighs 150 pounds (68 kg). Popular Science reported that the XOS gives wearers the ability to lift 200 pounds (91 kg) "repeatedly with minimal strain". DARPA specifications call for the suit to allow lifting of up to 400 pounds (180 kg), but it is not known whether the XOS meets that criterion.

The army will use initial production models of the XOS for logistics and supply tasks such as repetitive lifting of heavy objects. Future models will have various combat customizations for firing heavy weapons or transporting wounded soldiers.
taytay
Like Iron man. on a smaller more realistic scale. awesome!
Xanatos
taytay wrote:
Like Iron man. on a smaller more realistic scale. awesome!

But one day you never know....
Unknowntoaster
Wow, I never knew how advanced we are. Its amazing to think that someday, well have the advances to have Spartan soldiers (from Halo)! Razz
kitsrock
taytay: at the end of the video it was explained that this wasn't possible for humans as mammalian skin makeup is different from amphibian skin makeup. remember that mammals don't breathe through their skins, whereas some amphibians do.

i was hoping for something far more transparent, but then i realize that's hard to do for skin and flesh of cell-based organisms as we know it. i guess i should be happy with this much coolness.
SBCBC33
Niiiiice! But also kinda creepy...
RuthE
It is not the only transparant animal. There is also a fish with a transparant head

http://news.nationalgeographic.co.uk/news/2009/02/photogalleries/fish-transparent-head-barreleye-picture/

Wierd!!!