FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Flamenco and Classical Spanish Guitar.

What Guitar style do you enjoy?
Classical
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Jazz
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Blues
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Rock
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Flamenco
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Rockabilly
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

Walker
Just wondering if anyone here enjoys flamenco or spanish guitar... Cool

if so, whos your favorite composer?

photoshop.. =]
shr3dd
paco de lucia, bar none the greatest spanish/flamenco guitarist.

andres segovie is among a few faves
Walker
hes got a lot of music.... what would be your favorite song?
what album or cd should i listen to? Very Happy
shr3dd
you should listen to al di meola, paco de lucia and john mcglaughlinfriday night in san fransisco. its an album with all 3 letting loose in spanish and flamenco stylings, a good bit of jazz fusion on there too
Ioana
I like all kinds of Gipsy Music and listen to a lot of Jazz. My origin is from the balcans, and that music I know better.
Flamenco I also like a lot.
If one doesn't know mutch about the music I recommend to watch the film Vengo by Tony Gatlif, the Music to the film is also very good I think. Paco de Lucia who was mentioned here is of course one of the all times classics, mostly with the most famous singer El Camaron de la Isla. That's rather pure flamenco then the recordings with Al Di Meola & Co.

The question about favourite composers is difficult, because many of my favourite pieces are traditional ones, maybe with favourite interpretations.
Caxius
spanish music? haha i know about this hehehe.
I hate spanish music, but if i have to choose.... antonio orozco is the best!
Walker
i dont think you know what your talking about.... i think i know what kind of spanish music your talking about and honestly it gets on my nerves too... but flamenco and CLASSICAL spanish guitar, in my opinion, beats some of the best guitar styles out there.
shr3dd
I never said Al DI Meola and his counterparts played pure flamenco. I said they played in spanish and flamenco stylings, which this thread is about.

Astor Piazolla is a great classical spanish guitarist you might be interested in. Walker, spanish/flamenco does beat a lot of music out there, but comparing it to other guitar styles is impossible. Look at virtuoso instrumental guitar rock, i.e. Joe Satriani, Steve Vai. As far as technique goes they are on a even plane with the highly regarded classical players, but it's comparing apples and oranges. Both are sweet but completely different and great in their own way.
Ioana
astor Piazzola is neither a guitarist nor spanish, but a grate musician - that I aree.
shr3dd
I forgot Piazolla wasn't a guitarist, I was thinking of the cd Al Di Meola plays Piazolla. I just remembered hearing Piazolla on guitar. I didn't say he himself was Spanish (he's Italian), I was saying some of his music would be called Spanish, but it's mostly just classical.