FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ZiLOG ZDS II on Linux

djclue917
Has anybody ever tried running ZiLOG's ZDS under Linux via WINE? Running it is actually easy. However, my main concern is whether I would be able to download my code to my development board. I use Linux as my main OS that's why it would be nice if I don't have to boot into Windows just to use ZDS. I'm also thinking about using a virtualized Windows environment on Linux just to run ZDS. I prefer the former, of course, since it is easier to do.
Studio Madcrow
In general, WINE has decent support for various external hardware. I've even read about people using WINE to use hardware (like certain scanners) that doesn't natively work on Linux. I would give it a try and see if it works. The worst that can happen is that you'll have to reflash your devboard from Windows. The best is that you kiss Windows goodbye forever.
djclue917
ZDS II actually runs fine via WINE. However, the main concern is being able to connect to my devboard using a RS-232 (serial)-to-USB cable. Linux doesn't have any problem recognizing the cable based on the output of dmesg. The only thing that I don't know how to do is the linking of /dev/ttyUSB0 to COM1 or COM2, etc. I've just created a symlink in ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1 -> /dev/ttyUSB0 but I have yet to try it. Will this method of mapping COM ports still work?
Studio Madcrow
djclue917 wrote:
ZDS II actually runs fine via WINE. However, the main concern is being able to connect to my devboard using a RS-232 (serial)-to-USB cable. Linux doesn't have any problem recognizing the cable based on the output of dmesg. The only thing that I don't know how to do is the linking of /dev/ttyUSB0 to COM1 or COM2, etc. I've just created a symlink in ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1 -> /dev/ttyUSB0 but I have yet to try it. Will this method of mapping COM ports still work?

It SHOULD work, but, as I said, there's no real way to know for sure unless you try it.
djclue917
Just an update... I used to manually symlink /dev/ttyUSB0 to /dev/ttyS0 since I'm using a USB-to-RS232 (serial) cable but I noticed lately that I don't even need to make a symlink anymore. I don't know how this happened but probably this is due to a WINE upgrade (I'm always using the latest version of WINE).
tiagolone
As this is the first link on google for "ZDS II linux" I will post my experience here in case someone else needs it.

WINE can run ZDS II without problem and using "Serial Smart Cable" it is possible to flash and debug zilog's microcontrolers on linux. But, if you have a "USB Smart Cable", it will not work and as some of zilog's microcontroler can't be used with "Serial Smart Cable", it is a problem.

As I had a USB cable, I tried to use virtual machines with Windows XP to access directly the USB Cable, but it did't works. I tried VirtualBox and QEMU machines, the cable is recognized but it did't work correctly (timeouts on VirtualBox and blue screens on QEMU).

The only way that I found to "solve" my problem was to buy a Ethernet Smart Cable, it worked without problem with ZDS II running on WINE and can be used with all zilog microcontrollers.

Tip: Use the Windows XP theme on wine (http://mediakey.dk/~cc/windows-xp-themes-on-wine).
Hairyloon
Did you make any progress on this?
I've got the software running no problem, but it won't communicate through the RS232...