FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ur Opinions

g2konline
wht u guyz think abt this Host......this time im nt giving ne suggestions...so just asking you.......how are the services............anf other stuff......
S3nd K3ys
g2konline wrote:
wht u guyz think abt this Host......this time im nt giving ne suggestions...so just asking you.......how are the services............anf other stuff......

It's good. There's issues, but they seem to be trying to take care of them.

I'm still waiting to be able to block forums of my choice to make it easier to navigate.

IMNSHO, the best free host site I've seen of it's kind to date.
mOrpheuS
S3nd K3ys wrote:
I'm still waiting to be able to block forums of my choice to make it easier to navigate.

You've asked for this quite a few times, but I'm yet to see a phpbb forum with something like this implemented.

Is there a particular mod that you have in mind ?

by the way, http://www.frihost.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5842 was the topic where this was discussed the last time, and not much was decided upon back then.
S3nd K3ys
mOrpheuS wrote:

Is there a particular mod that you have in mind ?

Not sure if there's a mod to do specifically that, but

Bondings wrote:
I was already thinking of installing a mod where you have to join a usergroup to either view or hide a forum

Wink

BTW, sorry for beating the dead horse, but as the forum gets more popular, it becomes much more time consuming to navigate readable threads.

:edit:

Lookie here Very Happy

:/edit:
mOrpheuS
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Not sure if there's a mod to do specifically that, but

Bondings wrote:
I was already thinking of installing a mod where you have to join a usergroup to either view or hide a forum

Wink

you know, that might just work...but it'll be a whole load of user groups...
AND it'll not be about joining a group to view certain forums, but about leaving a group to stop having to see these forums (I think new users should be members of all the opt-in groups by default, they can later opt-out as per their preference)

S3nd K3ys wrote:
BTW, sorry for beating the dead horse, but as the forum gets more popular, it becomes much more time consuming to navigate readable threads.

Yes, it does become difficult to keep track of good topics without wasting a lot of time as the forum gets crowded...especially since (as you said) you use "posts since last visit" as the starting point.

I, for example, use the index page -> look for sections of interest which have red icon -> inside these sections, look for threads that I might be interested in and which have red icon -> read/reply -> mark all topics read -> back to index -> Mark all forums read -> back to work.

I'm not suggesting this as a solution...let's call it adaptation Wink

meanwhile let's wait for Bondings to try and implement such functionality.

p.s. - the mod you linked to looks tailor-made for our need, I'll try it out and post the findings here.
S3nd K3ys
mOrpheuS wrote:
.. but about leaving a group to stop having to see these forums (I think new users should be members of all the opt-in groups by default, they can later opt-out as per their preference)

Yes. And I think you're correct in that each user should have to unsubscribe to each forum you wouldn't want to see.

Quote:

...p.s. - the mod you linked to looks tailor-made for our need, I'll try it out and post the findings here.

Thanks! Very Happy
mOrpheuS
OK...
I'm done with basic testing of the mod in question.

This is the option list box that gets added to the profile management page.

This is the appearance of the index page.
Note that all 4 sections shown here contain new posts.
Just that the icon doesn't change to red for the one's the user has chosen to ignore.

Also, new posts in ignored sections do not show up in the "View posts since last visit"

So basically, the forum sections are not hidden, they are just not being marked as new.
Categories cannot be ignored as whole, sections can only be ignored at individual level.

One new column added to users table, and one new row added to the config table.
14 files modified in all.
n0obie4life
Interesting!

Btw, the blocks mod?

http://smartor.is-root.com ?