FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Driving in England

Afaceinthematrix
For someone who has always driven on the right side of the road, is it hard to get used to driving on the left side of the road? I'm very nervous... usually when I travel to somewhere that drives on the left side of the road, I use public transportation. But I might try it.... I'm just nervous.
Bikerman
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
For someone who has always driven on the right side of the road, is it hard to get used to driving on the left side of the road? I'm very nervous... usually when I travel to somewhere that drives on the left side of the road, I use public transportation. But I might try it.... I'm just nervous.

Well, don't blame us because you normally drive on the wrong side Smile
Seriously - it should not be a major issue. I have driven (and ridden) in the States quite a few times. It takes a certain period of concentration to get used to it, but you soon adapt.
Afaceinthematrix
Ok, thanks for the advice. I've always ridden when I'm in countries that drive on the left side of the road. But next time I wanted to actually drive; I just wasn't sure if it was hard to get used to.
Bikerman
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Ok, thanks for the advice. I've always ridden when I'm in countries that drive on the left side of the road. But next time I wanted to actually drive; I just wasn't sure if it was hard to get used to.

No, you have to concentrate for a while - but to be honest the greatest difficulty is with things like the handbrake, gear-stick, and other controls within the car. Road positioning is not really too difficult (you are still driving in a 'lane' albeit on the other side of the road. The only difficulty I would anticipate is with traffic islands - something you don't have much of in the US. The general rule is that once you are on an island then you have right of way. Obviously that means that when approaching an island you DON'T have right of way and must wait for a gap in the traffic. Negotiate the island clockwise and all will be well.
Afaceinthematrix
I think I've driven in those before. We have a few of those in the US but we call them "roundabouts."
Bikerman
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I think I've driven in those before. We have a few of those in the US but we call them "roundabouts."
Ahh...well actually we call them the same thing here. Just goes to show that the differences are not as great as we think.*

*Having said that, the differences can be important. I remember attending the wedding of my good friend in Hollywood and asking one of the guests if he had a fag. What I didn't know was that
a) The guy was gay
b) He had a 'toy-boy' with him at the ceremony
c) He had his wife at the ceremony

It took quite a while to sort it out......(true story..I swear)
Afaceinthematrix
LoL, funny story! Before that happened, did you know that "fag" was a very derogatory term in the US? Most Americans don't know the meaning of that word in the UK (I only know the meaning because I've spent a great amount of time in internet forums... which is actually why I write in internet forums. I like interacting with people from other places).
Bikerman
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
LoL, funny story! Before that happened, did you know that "fag" was a very derogatory term in the US? Most Americans don't know the meaning of that word in the UK (I only know the meaning because I've spent a great amount of time in internet forums... which is actually why I write in internet forums. I like interacting with people from other places).

No - I didn't have a clue - I thought 'fag' was universally used for cigarette. Fortunately the guy did not immediately try to punch my lights out (I suspect because I was bigger than him and wearing full biker leathers) so we had time to sort out the misunderstanding before it got out of hand. He turned out to be a really interesting guy once things calmed-down Smile
Afaceinthematrix
I have a similar story - although mine isn't as good as yours. An English girl once asked me if I wanted to see her "pussy." This was a few years back, but I remember being a disappointed teenager when I found out that she meant cat. That term is used completely different here.
Bikerman
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I have a similar story - although mine isn't as good as yours. An English girl once asked me if I wanted to see her "pussy." This was a few years back, but I remember being a disappointed teenager when I found out that she meant cat. That term is used completely different here.

Well, I think she was possibly being a bit mischievous since the term is used in exactly the same way here Smile
She was 'pulling your plonker' (another wonderful colloquialism - I'm sure you can get the meaning Smile )
Afaceinthematrix
Ahh... okay. I just assumed that since she was English, that term was specifically used there to mean "cat." She was just pulling my leg (or plonker).
ptfrances
I think you just need to acostomize yourself to drive on the other side of the road.
But it's not really dificult finally, you will see.

Wink
Klaw 2
You gotta be carefull on empty roads, when you are driving on roads where thw whole time car go past you isn't a problem the other cars remind you everytime on wich side you have to drive. When you are on a completely deserted road you might "wonder of" to the wrong side, go around a corner and suddenly see a car in front of u. But you just gotta concentrate and keep a reminder, my dad put a small sticker on the steeringwheel to remind him Razz.

Don't forget when you get back home you gotta switch sides again.
Xaferrow
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
For someone who has always driven on the right side of the road, is it hard to get used to driving on the left side of the road?

Very Happy i live in Indonesia, Left side road driven,.

what do you think the most benefit?
- right side
- left side?
Afaceinthematrix
Xaferrow wrote:

- right side
- left side?

I don't think there is a benefit to either... as long as everyone drives on the same side of the road, it doesn't matter.
joostvane
Well, if you drive in a car made for left-driving, it goes better. But once you get used to it it gets better alright.
slashnburn99
If you do drive, cross over the border and visit South Wales, very nice part of the world with Castles ancient ruins, England are not very good drivers anyway so don`t worry Razz

http://www.visitwales.com/