FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Microsoft Outlook Sent Items Issue

welshsteve
Hi.

A business aquaintance of mine has multiple accounts set up in Outlook (2002/XP I believe). When they send email from any of the accounts, it doesn't store the sent items in the Sent folder for that particular account, but instead stores them all in the Sent folder of the default account.

I have tried this on my own computer and found the same thing. Is there a way that you can tell Outlook to use the Sent Items folder for each account instead of saving all Sent Items in the default account?

I have recommended they try using Thunderbird instead as I have this working fine with multiple accounts. But this person isn't that knowledgible with computers and might be a little overwhelmed with a different program.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
crdowner
Microsoft Outlook does not create/use multiple Sent Items folders even when multiple accounts are configured in Outlook. I know you can select which account to use when sending e-mail but I have never seen or heard of a way to natively separate e-mails.

You should be able to accomplish this using rules though. Simply create a Sent Items folder for each account or create Sent Items subfolders. Then goto Actions | Rules and Alerts. Select the option to perform a task after sending a message. Select to move message to the desired folder. I think you can move messages based on the account. This probably varies by the version of Outlook though. You can always base the rule on the sending e-mail address even if you cannot base it on the account.

Let me know if you need more detail. I have Outlook 2007 and can detail the steps.
mcamargo
Outlook 2007 - tools->Rules and Alerts
welshsteve
The rules method everwors correctly for me. It never ever copies as told to.