You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Need advice in starting a business doing IT repair/service

I'm very interested in starting my own business doing IT repair and servicing. I have personal experience with computers as far as building, maintaining, upgrading, and servicing. I dont' have any experience with mainframes, company computers, and stuff like that, though.

My goal is to keep myself open for going places to fix people's computers, and possibly doing contract/freelance work for others.

I know I'll need to get some certifcations such as Microsoft, but I am also looking into getting certified for Macintosh and Linux.

Does anyone have any good advice and places they can point me to in getting me started? I am also planning on creating a website to go with my business, so I could use some good pointers there too.
I would start right away with fixing and repairing. You can place some notices up on Boards at the local Community Centre or Supermarkets, and maybe a small advertisement in the local newspaper, and then the rest will get easier and easier, as there is a shortage of people who can repair computers, and things will travel fast by word of mouth. While you are doing this, this could possibly fund the expensive studies in order to get certified. You can do both simultaneously and then as you are repairing and studying, perhaps develop an area that you would like to specialize in.
It is hard to begin a thing . You need to learn more computer technology when working .
I want to do something like this also but how ?
I think there are different levels of computer repairing and servicing. Maybe you don't have to do the really hard stuff. Learning in that field I hear continues regardless of how much you know. If you are not really interested in computer learning it may not be the field to enter.

Regarding business and business startups, it can be slow at first getting customers. While your business is growing you can afford the time at least to study, get certifications and improve your ability to troubleshoot. From the start a person should strive for customer satisfaction to build a good reputation. It is good to know people or be able to bring problems to someone else if you are not sure where the solution is.

The customer trusts you will fix the problem with the least amount of money spent. Even if you don't make much you can still be there to fix an issue. Customers do want people to fix and maintain there computers, cleaning, installing software, looking after virus protection and setting up thier networks are tasks that they hand over to others to do.

To start, you might just advertise a little, take a course, and get hands on experience by taking on a few jobs. It would be a way to go i guess but be prepaired to be challenged.

You can break anything, just fix it or know what to do when that happens.
With more and more computers and networks out there, I think being a sort of computer-techie dude is a pretty awesome job. I've thought about and came to a conclusion that it would be a perfect job, all I'd need would be some tools, a few PC's (or macs), maybe a laptop etc.

I thought about doing this, but due to school I don't have the time. And gaining people's trust would be hard, I mean people would be more willing to let a MS certified with a Science Masters Degree guy work on their PC than a normal teenager, with not flashy badges, but one who boasts of his skills.

Yeah, work on your image, make some good cards, dress nicely and keep on time with tech. Most people need virus repairs, checking their PSU, cleaning their case, checking ram, a system reinstallation and stuff like that. Local customers.
it is a good option. Maybe you can start an online help service alongwith, as you learn..
You need to bear in mind that most faults with home PCs are software rather than hardware related. I was systems manager at an industrial plant for a few years and I can say that about 90-95% of the helpdesk calls were software related with the majority being Operating System problems.
That means you will need a very good knowledge of the Operating Systems in general use if you want to do 'general' repairs rather than specific hardware servicing/upgrading (which is a relatively small market anyway).
For the home market that means you need to bone-up on Windows (particularly XP and Vista).