FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Students Teacher Relationship

cyberbuddy
The true education of ancient India in the time of her higher aspirations was not given amid the paraphernalia of great ugly buildings and cumbersome furniture, costing faboulous sums of money, but in the natural schoolrooms of the forest ashrams underneath the shady trees and in the thatched mud cottages known as “GURUKUL”. ‘GURU’ means teacher and “KUL” means family. This explains how important the position of the teacher is. The teacher treats the students as the head of the family. This is followed by a very famous Sanskrit verse,” Mata, Pita, Guru, Devam”. Here it clearly explains us that parents as well as our teacher is regarded and respected as God.
But are all these still followed by the present generation is something we have to ponder. I deny the positive attitude of this young generation in terms of respect. We hear today constant complain about the indiscipline and the sense of frustration among young people. We seek to explain them in terms of the general sense of unrest in society. Though all these are followed by the present youths, still there are many such students who always treat there teachers as guru. They always have a positive outlook for their teachers. Gurus or teachers prominent position in the society is very well recognized from time immortal. As their contribution in grooming young children into good citizen is undoubtly very significant. Gradually this system of education has been replaced by more organized and institutionalized way of educational system. It is for these reasons every student should respect and emulate the virtues taught by their teacher. Enrichment of good ideas virtues and values is possible only when there is cordial relationship between the teacher and the taught. Student-Teacher relationship is to be founded on mutual respect and understanding. I may add here that in this student-teacher relationship, parents play an important role in educating their child to follow and learn everything possible under the guidance of the teacher.
“Teaching is not everyone’s cup of tea”. Many brilliant men seem quite capable of imparting their wisdom to others. Why such a failure? This is because to know is one thing and to convey is another. That is why only capable people can take up this kind of skill. There are many kinds of skills by which students can take interest in their lectures or classes and would not have a cat’s nap. To be friendly with the students, to know the feeling of an individual, to have a good communication, etc. creates a friendly vacuum as well as a healthy and a good relationship between the teacher and the taught. One individual or a student should be free to ask any doubts to teachers if there are and shouldn’t feel frightened. They shouldn’t feel guilty or shy of themselves and thus a student-teacher relationship can be maintained.
Let me abbreviate by saying that the teacher-student relationship should be maintained without any problem or enmity but to respect and obey them so that in turn they will also be a helping hand to students. And, in course of years to come when one looks back and finds that one has not done what they have heard from your advisors and counselors, that too when there was a lot of wisdom, you will bitterly repent when it is too late. So let us enter into the world of kingdom of heaven of learning in all its beauty and truth.

thank u
mgeek
In India you have this guru-disciple culture that we don't have here in our own place. Analogous to it is the master-disciple relationship in ancient philosophy. I guess, in the States, they have the mentor-student relationship, but this occurs only -- I think -- in post-graduate scenarios, where the student is working on a thesis directed by the "mentor". Whatever the "incarnation" of this kind of relationship it can be valuable.
iyepes
I don't know anything about Indian education system, but I'm a teacher.

I know by experience that relationship between teacher and students is part of the educative process, you can't learn if you don't accept the channel of knowledge, so it's necessary to feel respect for your teacher, if not as a person, at least by the knowledge she/he has.

For the teacher, it's also necessary to feel some empathy for her/his students, and to have and understanding of their interests. Many learning processes are torn by the lack of motivation of students, and a teacher can't motivate a student without comprehension of his/her desires towards knowledge and life in general.

Transfering knowledge is a communication process, it needs to sides of it to be willing to interchange what they have.
Bluedoll
Thank you, cyberbuddy, such a well written and clear article on teacher student relationships. I was appreciative actually to learn what the word guru actually means and where it comes from as guru is very much a part of my heritage language but associated with the computer culture.

Quote:
“The teacher treats the students as the head of the family.”

Did you mean cyberbuddy that the students are consider head of the family? Of course not, the teacher instructs the students like they would a head member of a family. This is what you meant, I am sure and how I interpret it.

That one sentance did make me think however. I visualize the best teachers both as students and teachers in their works as educators but that conception is not about reversing roles. Rather I see it as a constructive relationship. The later part of the article reinforces all good things and who could not want such positive relationships.

In regard to modern day students and education, it is true there as been some major shifts. Perhaps civilizations develop like waves on a sea and revert back and forth between new frontiers and traditional ways.

Yes, I do agree, respect and discipline are key factors to all true accomplishments. The question often in my mind is how does one define those ideals and how does one challenge the student or teacher with questions and still show respect?

I have questions for discipline.

When parents and teachers that accept the role to teach for the purpose of teaching the students to learn for themselves and allowing the student to accept that the head of families are not always correct, the question of discipline may or may not be an issue. Yes, this may be true in other areas of ones life.

Define Discipline:
    training, cultivation, punishment, control, regulations, practice

What a wide variety of meanings from one word to ask it to define its’ self.