FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Book Reading !!!!!and its Influence





cyberbuddy
According to Francis Bacon, “ Reading makes a full man, conference a ready man, and writing a exact man”. Reading is a wonderful relief from the stress and strain of the day-to-day anxieties. In fact no other activity has the power to soothe and calm frayed nerves. Reading has the power to lift the poor out of his poverty, the wretched out of his misery, the overburdened out of his burden, the sick of his suffering. Books are friend to the lonely, a cheer to the disheartened and help to the helpless. Therefore, reading books is a constant pleasure, for they bring light into darkness and sunshine into shadow.

Reading of books broadens our outlook, enriches our information and adds to the stock of ideas. It enables us to interact with those masterminds such as Shakespeare, Kalidasa, Bernard Shaw and Nehru though now dead are still alive in their literary creations. True, now man doesn’t live by bread alone. He wants mental, moral and spiritual food which the reading habit provides for which book delights, teaches and exhausts It has happened that many a times a great men have made a turning point in their lives by reading a certain kind of book such as Mahatma Gandhi who read Ruskin’s book “unto the last” and changed his life thereafter. Ignatius De Loyola, a young soldier was deeply influenced by the book,” the life of saints and consequently he became the founder of the great Jesuit order whose influenced has reached every corner of the world.
Thus reading of books provides an immense pleasure to everyone. Therefore we should start with this habit when we are quite young. For throughout life we will have the company of great lives and they will never be a dull moment.


thank u
mgeek
Francis Bacon was writing at a time when there were only two choices for entertainment: books and the theatre. For information, there were books and newspapers (the radio wasn't invented yet). So Bacon's observation on book reading quite reflects his times.

I read books ... and a lot of them. But the TV gives me a lot more choices: news, sports, real-life (that is what they call it, right?). There is a lot more rubbish in TV, I admit, and when a nuclear Fallout occurs, may be will be getting our entertainment from things written on walls. But hey, while books and TV and radio and MP3 players are around, let's enjoy it right?
ocalhoun
^Yes, but your intelligence goes down while watching television, but it goes up while reading a book...

That's a good enough reason for me. Plus, books don't have commercials.
sana618
ocalhoun wrote:
^Yes, but your intelligence goes down while watching television, but it goes up while reading a book...

That's a good enough reason for me. Plus, books don't have commercials.






you are right, also while reading a book your imagination takes you to that time period of the book your reading which is not possible while watching a tv, as we are already watching it, no doubt the tv and the internet gives a lot of knowledge but the pleasure of reading is quite unique i think. so people
as long as there are book take some time off for yourself and enjoy a bit of reading. Very Happy
JessieF
When I read, it's so vivid it feels like I am watching T.V. Sometimes I have to think a bit to remember that a scene is from a book, and not a show (I do this when something in my day reminds me of a scene from a book a read several months before).
deanhills
I should get back to reading again, as it is true. It puts you into a world like no other. For the last fdew years I have been too restless, reading books mostly for information and how-to's. The odd magagzine and newspaper now and then. I have just purchased myself a TV, first time in seven years, with the objective of getting the news, and wow, is that onerous, and lots of it repetitive and I am still trying to find a news channel that meets my needs. But yes, books are precious, have had an enormous influence in my life, think I have been motivated to get back to it soon. I can remember especially with reading biographies, how those can really lift me up and engross me. Possibly a New Year's resolution then. Smile
jwellsy
ocalhoun wrote:
^Yes, but your intelligence goes down while watching television, but it goes up while reading a book...

That's a good enough reason for me. Plus, books don't have commercials.


Without commercials, most people wouldn't be able to figure out what they like.
ocalhoun
jwellsy wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
^Yes, but your intelligence goes down while watching television, but it goes up while reading a book...

That's a good enough reason for me. Plus, books don't have commercials.


Without commercials, most people wouldn't be able to figure out what they like.

That's because most people are morons.
*depressed*
bonestorm74
Yes reading books is definitely very good for you. Expands your horizons and makes you think about the world, use your imagination, and learn.

You're less likely to do these things watching TV shows. That's not to say it can't happen, but it's less likely.

I haven't had much time for reading of late, and so I've been listening to audio books on the way to and from work. Hopefully that's almost as good as reading. Wink
soljarag
I can't read books.. it puts me to sleep every time I try.... I am sooooo glad i'm done with collage!
Afaceinthematrix
cyberbuddy wrote:
In fact no other activity has the power to soothe and calm frayed nerves.


I disagree. You called that a fact, yet didn't provide evidence. Plenty of other activities can soothe and calm frayed nerves. I can read, but I can also listen to some classical music, get a massage, or have sex. All of those are pretty calming (although the latter can be hard work, so the first two may be better if you're tired).

Quote:
Reading has the power to lift the poor out of his poverty, the wretched out of his misery, the overburdened out of his burden, the sick of his suffering. Books are friend to the lonely, a cheer to the disheartened and help to the helpless. Therefore, reading books is a constant pleasure, for they bring light into darkness and sunshine into shadow.


Nonsense. That may have been very poetic, but it is simply not true. Reading won't lift the poor out of poverty. It may provide the knowledge needed to get out of poverty, but it won't get you out of poverty. Nor will it end your burdens - it will just take your mind off of them (unless your only burden was not being able to read). It also won't get you better when you're sick - it may, at the very most, make you feel better. So unless there is some sort of placebo effect (then it will be your mind making you better) going on, reading won't make you better.
Quote:
Thus reading of books provides an immense pleasure to everyone. Therefore we should start with this habit when we are quite young. For throughout life we will have the company of great lives and they will never be a dull moment.


Not everyone likes reading. I just thought I'd let you know that so that you will stop speaking for other people by saying it provides immense pleasure to "everyone."

I personally love reading. I read for hours on end. I don't read a lot of fiction, though. The only fiction I really read is The Bible (and other religious works). But then again, many people believe that those are nonfiction, so I guess that is debatable. I have read a lot of fiction, though. I have read hundreds of fiction books including Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, etc. But I much prefer reading nonfiction. I like to learn while I read. I like reading math, geography, cultural, and science books the most.
ocalhoun
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I have read hundreds of fiction books including Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, etc. But I much prefer reading nonfiction. I like to learn while I read. I like reading math, geography, cultural, and science books the most.


Strikes me that all of those are fantasy novels, and most are for children...
Try reading sci-fi or thrillers intended for adults. You can actually learn quite a lot from them, as those two genres like to include astonishing scientific facts as twists to the story. It is fiction though, so you do have to take it with a grain of salt and check the more unbelievable things.
Afaceinthematrix
ocalhoun wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I have read hundreds of fiction books including Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, etc. But I much prefer reading nonfiction. I like to learn while I read. I like reading math, geography, cultural, and science books the most.


Strikes me that all of those are fantasy novels, and most are for children...
Try reading sci-fi or thrillers intended for adults. You can actually learn quite a lot from them, as those two genres like to include astonishing scientific facts as twists to the story. It is fiction though, so you do have to take it with a grain of salt and check the more unbelievable things.



I have read hundreds of books. I've read sci-fi. Harry Potter is for children (but I still found them entertaining) but LOTR and CoN are for both. You get something different out of them depending on your age. I read those two series as a child and adult. There's a lot of things that a child won't pick up that you pick up when read them as an adult. That's what makes me like those. That's why I listed those there.

Sci-fi books are okay. I also like authors like Dan Brown, Michael Chrichton, etc.

But, to be honest, I'm just not a huge fiction reader. I read a lot, but it's usually for the benefit of my education. I read a lot of chess books because I'm a pretty avid chess player. I read math books because I love math. I read science books because I like science. I read geography/cultural books because I love that.

One kind of book that I tend to hate, though, are biographies! It seems like you'd have to have no life to go and find out everything about someone elses life... I especially hate autobiographies! It seems like you'd have to be conceited to write a book about yourself and think that people will read it*... but then again, I have read a few biographies/autobiographies in my day.

Unless you're writing a memoir/journal that will be used for educational purposes
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I have read hundreds of books. I've read sci-fi. Harry Potter is for children (but I still found them entertaining) but LOTR and CoN are for both. You get something different out of them depending on your age. I read those two series as a child and adult. There's a lot of things that a child won't pick up that you pick up when read them as an adult. That's what makes me like those. That's why I listed those there.

Sci-fi books are okay. I also like authors like Dan Brown, Michael Chrichton, etc.

But, to be honest, I'm just not a huge fiction reader. I read a lot, but it's usually for the benefit of my education. I read a lot of chess books because I'm a pretty avid chess player. I read math books because I love math. I read science books because I like science. I read geography/cultural books because I love that.

One kind of book that I tend to hate, though, are biographies! It seems like you'd have to have no life to go and find out everything about someone elses life... I especially hate autobiographies! It seems like you'd have to be conceited to write a book about yourself and think that people will read it*... but then again, I have read a few biographies/autobiographies in my day.

Unless you're writing a memoir/journal that will be used for educational purposes


Looks as though you have done pretty well with non-fiction. You seem to have covered more non-fiction and sci-fi books than people who are into them. A friend of mine also prefers to read non-fiction like you do. You must have an amazing capacity for reading? Do you do speed reading? I know there are some people who can really do that, naturally.

I quite love to read biographies. But then I am a history buff. I love anything to do with history, and of course many of the biographies are of people who actually helped carve history. There are really some excellent ones on the shelves. Greatest ones are ones I have discovered of decades ago, or even of the previous century. Hobby of mine to photocopy those. I am not much into contemporary biographies, except if it is someone whom I genuinely like and am interested in, such as for example Paul Newman. Biographies tend to have a great motivating affect on me. Sort of fires me up, especially if it is well written.
Crinoid
Quote:
According to Francis Bacon, “ Reading makes a full man, conference a ready man, and writing a exact man”. Reading is a wonderful relief from the stress and strain of the day-to-day anxieties. In fact no other activity has the power to soothe and calm frayed nerves. Reading has the power to lift the poor out of his poverty, the wretched out of his misery, the overburdened out of his burden, the sick of his suffering. Books are friend to the lonely, a cheer to the disheartened and help to the helpless. Therefore, reading books is a constant pleasure, for they bring light into darkness and sunshine into shadow.

Reading of books broadens our outlook, enriches our information and adds to the stock of ideas. It enables us to interact with those masterminds such as Shakespeare, Kalidasa, Bernard Shaw and Nehru though now dead are still alive in their literary creations.

The following is not intended to be critique, rather expansion. So take no offense.
Francis Bacon didn't mention man working for a living, long hours and very tired in the evening Laughing

"You are what you eat" is applicable for the mental food, somehow I can't picture, that reading of fantasy books, romance, inspiration books will make man full. Rolling Eyes

Reading can be very stressful, depending on what you are reading. News, adding all problems of the world to your own; books and articles, containing life values, opposite to yours; promoting what you already know are opposite to the truth; books by authors, who tried to punish readers for all offenses that they taken in their lives; or full of obvious mistakes...

Relief - rather trial to escape in imaginary alternative reality, without positive changes in real life. Having possibility to change real life would have long-term effect, like no more reasons for frayed nerves.

Soothing: try to read when the child two apartments aside is crying, or groups of young people loudly express themselves on the street, cackling laugh, yelling talk and loud singing of immediate neighbor - when you are trying to read and relax, sirens of the police and ambulance.

For poor and wretched it could become an opium, imaginary life without trials to improve own, more of this - taking time and will from this. After certain threshold it make negative impact on future.

More of this: to be sold and being profitable for publisher, books should meet certain criteria and promote certain values, and taking them for the face value and making important life decisions, based on this information, instead of real life experience - this could make irreparable lifelong consequences. The really bad part of this is that you become aware of this, when it is too late.

Same for help for lonely and helpless: is Prozac a substitute for better life? About disheartened - when I last time checked books on the shelves of public library, effect was opposite.

To make a pleasure of constant reading books, one have to have already quite a nice life to afford that amount of books - within several years of reading speed of reading increases and at least my income is no match for a required supply. When one faces choice: either repair roof or have few months supply of escapist's reading, I, personally, go for a roof.

The last provocative thought: why listed above were masterminds and you are not? Because you consumed instead of creating? Wink
ocalhoun
Crinoid wrote:

"You are what you eat" is applicable for the mental food, somehow I can't picture, that reading of fantasy books, romance, inspiration books will make man full. Rolling Eyes

It would make him more full than watching football and sitcoms. (And it would definitely make him more full than watching reality TV or game shows!) Fantasy books often have philosophical undertones that could improve his wisdom, and make him a more interesting person to talk to. Reading romances could help you be more romantic by giving you ideas and by ingraining a romantic attitude into you, which would help your love life greatly. Inspiration books can, of course, inspire you to do things or to become a better person.

You know you've read a good book when you see the world in a slightly different way from then on, after reading it.
Quote:

The last provocative thought: why listed above were masterminds and you are not? Because you consumed instead of creating? Wink

Actually, any guide to writing will tell you that the first step is to read A LOT, especially in the genre you want to write in. That gives you inspiration, helps you to avoid things that have been done before, and gives you intimate knowledge of the style and general tone of that genre.

I know that at least one best-selling author learned to write well by simply typing up copies of books from authors he admired. Extremely tedious, but the patterns and the styles of those authors became ingrained in him as he did so, and it made him a good author as well when he moved on to making his own original books.

A great composer starts by listening to and playing the music of others,
A great poet begins by reading the poetry of others,
A great dancer begins by seeing others dance,
A great artist begins by seeing the classics painted by the past masters,
A great athlete begins by imitating those better than him,
And a great author begins by reading the work of others.

I'd hate to read a book written by someone who thinks reading is useless! Unless they were born with some ultra-rare innate talent, the book would be awful.
Libby
I love to read, but I think the following quote has a great point:

"If a man’s house is full of medicine bottles, we infer that the man is probably ill. But if his house is full of books, we conclude that he is intelligent. Surely that is not right?" -- Vinoba Bhave

Laughing

I read constantly and it's definitely made me very "booksmart" but I don't think it has made me wise or even very intelligent. Only experience can do that, and experience is something I lack in most areas...

People who like to read, read! Everyone else, learn about the world other ways! No need for one group to always look down their noses at the other...
deanhills
Libby wrote:
I love to read, but I think the following quote has a great point:

"If a man’s house is full of medicine bottles, we infer that the man is probably ill. But if his house is full of books, we conclude that he is intelligent. Surely that is not right?" -- Vinoba Bhave

Laughing

I read constantly and it's definitely made me very "booksmart" but I don't think it has made me wise or even very intelligent. Only experience can do that, and experience is something I lack in most areas...

People who like to read, read! Everyone else, learn about the world other ways! No need for one group to always look down their noses at the other...


Good point and ditto for me. I may go as far as saying books have made me less intelligent, as you get hung up on other people's ideas, instead of working on your own, meeting your own mind. Where books are good for me these days are the how-to ones for technical know how. But the rest can distract you from real living. Smile
deanhills
Libby wrote:
I love to read, but I think the following quote has a great point:

"If a man’s house is full of medicine bottles, we infer that the man is probably ill. But if his house is full of books, we conclude that he is intelligent. Surely that is not right?" -- Vinoba Bhave

Laughing

I read constantly and it's definitely made me very "booksmart" but I don't think it has made me wise or even very intelligent. Only experience can do that, and experience is something I lack in most areas...

People who like to read, read! Everyone else, learn about the world other ways! No need for one group to always look down their noses at the other...


Good point and ditto for me. I may go as far as saying books have made me less intelligent, as you get hung up on other people's ideas, instead of working on your own, meeting your own mind. Where books are good for me these days are the how-to ones for technical know how. But the rest can distract you from real living. Smile
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:

Good point and ditto for me. I may go as far as saying books have made me less intelligent, as you get hung up on other people's ideas, instead of working on your own, meeting your own mind.

You don't want to get 'hung up on' other people's ideas; you want to build on them! Countless times a books ideas have enabled me to come up with new, original ideas I would have never otherwise thought of.
jabce85
i find reading is a workout for my imagination.. although the work is someone else's the world that i create in my head is quite my own.. that's why i, like most people, are always disappointed with movies that are made into books... the world that the movie producers create is always different from mine.. oh, and i don't think watching tv is a mindless activity.. albeit it can be if you just watch crap, but if you're watching something like discovery, natgeo, history.. etc, you can learn something.. actually you can learn something from anything you watch if it interests you in a specific field.. example, you could watch a movie not only for entertainment, but to see how the scenes were setup (camera angles, etc.) so tv is not a completely mindless activity and reading stimulates the imagination...... my 2 cents.
pmehta51
Having habit of reading book is great idea
pmehta51
Yes books are great company. It can change a lives. It can influence our life really really deep. And that is why I believe reading good books are as important. If we read good book we can have good habits. If we read books of great people, it inspires us. It makes us want to be like those people. We try to bring those quality in to our life. So I believe not just reading is important but what you read is important. It is like just eating is not important but eating healthy is important. So we should always hunt for good book. And we also try to have our kids have habits or reading good books. If we want our kids to read good books, we should keep good books in the house.
pmehta51
I remember how my father mad us read good book. He never forced us to read those. But we always have house full of good book. And he himself set example in front of us, as he always enjoyed good books. So if there are good books in house everyone once in while picks up the book and read it. Also not having TV or small TV helps reading. Because TV is big obstacle in reading. It is easy to sit in front of TV, than to take a book and to afford to read it. So not watching too much TV help us to be able to read more. And when ever we have leisure time we are more tend to pick up books. But yes again just like healthy eating is important healthy reading is very very important.
Johnsenesque
Books are wonderful. A good novel on a cold and windy night, snuggled in a bunch of blankets with a hot cup of coffee at hand is a great night indeed.
Related topics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Hobbies and Animals

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.