FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

linking domain to frihost

pedepy
Hey i jsut got my frihost hosting account activated, yay ! Now i can start playing around..

Now, im new to all of this, and I was wondering this: currently i'm using an URL fowarding service from my registrar to foward requests to my domain(s) to my frihost domain. Is there any other [cleaner] way ? Ive tried requesting to the IP I was given to port 80 but I just redirects to an Apache page. Is this IP mine alone or is this the IP for the whole server 3 ?

Its not really that url fowarding is a big problem for the moment, its just that I wanna do this the *right* way. So, what's the right way?

Also, side question, I currently develop mostly using python on the pylons web framework. Is it overly optimistic to think I might be able to do test runs of my pylons applications using mod_python (once it works), or would this be way too heavy of a load for this kind of free hosting ? I dont even know how I could go about doing it for now, anyway.
SonLight
pedepy wrote:
Hey i jsut got my frihost hosting account activated, yay ! Now i can start playing around..

Now, im new to all of this, and I was wondering this: currently i'm using an URL fowarding service from my registrar to foward requests to my domain(s) to my frihost domain. Is there any other [cleaner] way ? Ive tried requesting to the IP I was given to port 80 but I just redirects to an Apache page. Is this IP mine alone or is this the IP for the whole server 3 ?

Its not really that url fowarding is a big problem for the moment, its just that I wanna do this the *right* way. So, what's the right way?

Also, side question, I currently develop mostly using python on the pylons web framework. Is it overly optimistic to think I might be able to do test runs of my pylons applications using mod_python (once it works), or would this be way too heavy of a load for this kind of free hosting ? I dont even know how I could go about doing it for now, anyway.

You should be able to specify what nameserver will be used to look up the address of the domain. The IP address is shared, but requests for pages will specify both IP and domain, so the server will select your site automatically.

To configure the domain, you will need to use the "add domain" feature of Directadmain. Check the faqs and help pages; feel free to ask for explanations if it is still not clear. On the Frihost site, you will need to specify the domain name and that it should be hosted on the Frihost nameservers. I believe that in general, you can use any nameservers you control or have permission to use, but that Frihost specifically reguires that you use their nameservers.

At your registrar, you will need to specify the Frihost nameservers, by name and/or IP address. Generally you have to wait a day or two before you can fetch the site by name. In the meantime, you should be able to set up a test page and access it with your frihost subdomain. Once your purchased domain resolves correctly, you should see the same page by either name.

Some domains, especially free ones, do not have the flexibility to assign nameservers. If you have one of those, then you will need to continue to forward to the frihost subdomain.

On the development question, it would probably be to your advantage to install a web server on your desktop machine and develop there. You can probably develop on the frihost site if you choose to, but there might be an issue installing or using your development package here. You don't have command-line access, so some things are not possible. If it is Python based, I suspect it would work. I would suggest trying it provided it is free software or you have proof that it is properly licensed. The Frihost staff will probably let you know if there is a problem with it. You would be wise to check resource usage and discuss it with staff if it seems high.
Bondings
You should specify the nameserver ns1.frih.org and ns2.frih.org at your domain registrar and then afterwards add the domain in your DirectAdmin. It should be working in at least 4 to more or less 24 hours normally (takes a while for the dns settings to propagate).