FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Star Trek 2009

BlackroseDigitalDesigns
Wow, I just watched a video preview of the new Star Trek movie (http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/article5178521.ece) and I was surprisingly amazed and slightly excited.

Now I am no 'Trekkie' In fact I hate trekkies, Star Wars all the way, but wow is all I can think. I was a little skeptical about Zachary Quinto (Sylar of Heroes fame) as Spock until I watched that trailer and saw him flipping out and attacking someone(Captain Kirk?). This may not be the career killer I initially thought it would be.

Anyway, what do you guys think?
teko
wow had not heard about this, thanks for the post, like yourself wouldn't call myself a trekkie but like watching the movies
Cove
Haha, I'm actually kinda interested to see how this turns out. I'm not getting my hopes up (just in case it's a total bomb) but I'll definitely go see it when it comes out. It's made by J.J. Abrams if I'm correct so that means at least a LITTLE bit Razz
mkadam68
Time flies. I heard about this seems like ages ago when they were casting. I'd like to see it. Not a Trekkie, but enjoy Star Trek (TNG was the best). Also enjoy Star Wars, but the first three were very poor scripts & character development.
gandalfthegrey
I wish they would bring back a Star Trek television series. Sad
They really screwed things up ratings wise with that Enterprise series.
MeddlingMonk
As a fan of the original Star Trek and some of the spinoff series, I am a little dubious about this new movie. I'm planning to go see it when it comes out and will have to withhold judgement till then.

Quote:
I wish they would bring back a Star Trek television series.
They really screwed things up ratings wise with that Enterprise series.

I agree. I'd like to see another television series; hopefully they won't make the same mistakes they did with Enterprise. Even though I enjoyed some of the plots, the characters generally weren't as strong as those from the original series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager. Given that Enterprise was a prequel, it was doomed to step on the toes of established continuity quite a bit. My concern is that this new movie will do the same.
bellebello
Quote:
I'd like to see another television series; hopefully they won't make the same mistakes they did with Enterprise.

There was so much potential with enterprise and they screwed it up. Why do they have to involve time-travelling?
I'm a big fan of the star trek series and I hope they don't screw the movie up too. By the way i like the idea of sylar as spock.
MeddlingMonk
Quote:
Why do they have to involve time-travelling?

Do you mean making the series a prequel, or actual time-travel stories (such as "Storm Front")? I assume you're referring to the latter. I actually like most of the time-travel stories in Star Trek, especially when they're done well (such as Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home).

I've just seen the latest trailer for the new Star Trek movie and it looks like they are definitely stepping on the toes of established canon and continuity... (of course, that also depends on whether one accepts The Animated Series as canon or not - to my knowledge, it has been officially "de-canonised").
blk3
i like watching movies in general, so I'll give it a shot. i can't say that I'm a real science fiction fanatic but I like watching sci-fi movies.
Dean_The_Great
I am TOTALLY looking forward to this movie, hopefully it is released in Japan. I'm a big fan of Star Trek, but I won't be too terribly upset if canon is broken a little, as long as the characters stay true to themselves.
ddukki
Never watched Star Trek, but I've played one or two of the games [that probably doesn't count for anything, but hey]. I'm looking forward to the movie, though, and hopefully it'll get me watching the old ones before it actually comes out.
Dean_The_Great
ddukki wrote:
Never watched Star Trek, but I've played one or two of the games [that probably doesn't count for anything, but hey]. I'm looking forward to the movie, though, and hopefully it'll get me watching the old ones before it actually comes out.

You'll probably enjoy it a lot! J.J Abrams is all about inviting new fans to the franchise rather than strictly making a cult followed kind of film. Although definitely watch the movies, some are better than others, but the series are killer!
Tuvitor
I am really looking forward to this. The trailers make me think that perhaps Abrams will do for Star Trek what the Battlestar Galactica reboot did for BSG; what Russell Davies did for Doctor Who.

Canon schmanon. The canon continuity of Star Trek up until this point is severely broken. A reset is more than welcome now!
Zaini711
Looking forward to J J version and interpretation of Star Trek. Look very very promising. Should be on par with others Star Trek if not better. I think this is an updated version to give new life and a fresh breath of air to younger generation of trekkie....
Radar
So, now that Star Trek is out - and in the case of Australia, has only just come out - I'm vaguely debating whether or not to see it. I'm not a trekkie (my sum total of direct Star Trek experience amounts to 1 episode), but I imagine that general knowledge will let me not fail to appreciate it too much. Also, the fact that it's a rpequel may also be in favour of the newcomers.

To those people who have checked it out - is it worth seeing?
Crazy_Canuck
While I do remember watching the show (during reruns) as a child, I wouldn't consider myself a huge fan. That being said, I really enjoyed the movie. I thought the casting was well done, and the acting was not over the top. I would recommend it.
sondosia
I just saw Star Trek today and it was SOOOOO good. I'd never really cared about Star Trek before but now I'm inspired to watch all the other movies.

Without giving anything away, though, I'll just say that continuity is very well taken care of in this movie. Go watch it. =)
Aredon
I was happy with the movie. It was definitely entertaining, but I have to say a few things in it felt very much like star wars. Naturally there should be some correlation of course, but it kind of made me miss the out-of-date special effects.
kriszara
I saw this on Mother's Day with my 11-year-old daughter. I as a long time fan of the Star Trek series and some of the old movies enjoyed it a lot. They did a wonderful job with the feel of all the core characters we grew up with.
My daughter, who has never seen Star Trek before in her life followed the story easily and was completely into the characters and the plot.
So whether you are an old fan or new blood, you will enjoy this Star Trek movie.
kriszara
sondosia wrote:
I just saw Star Trek today and it was SOOOOO good. I'd never really cared about Star Trek before but now I'm inspired to watch all the other movies.

Without giving anything away, though, I'll just say that continuity is very well taken care of in this movie. Go watch it. =)

The other Star Trek movies are spotty when it comes to plot and storyline. I enjoyed Wrath of Khan the most of the older ones.
Nutteloos
I'm amazed at how well they pulled this off. It's a great movie for anyone, even if you've never watched a Star Trek movie before. If you have, there's much goodness to be had too. The tension between Spock and Kirk is played out really well.
zygote-hotelomega
Fantastic! They really nailed it IMHO.
Quinto was excellent as young Spock (and of course, Nimoy was sublime as old Spock). Chris Pine and Simon Pegg were superb as Kirk and Scotty - in fact all the leads did the originals proud
> For me though, Karl Urban stole the show as McCoy. A brilliant performance that got the character just so right
lethaltriad
I was always more of a Star Wars fan than a Star Trek fan but this movie really looks like it appeals to everyone and not just the die hard star trek fans. The trailer really looks good so i'm definitely gonna watch this one as soon as I can. I've only heard good things about it.
Nutteloos
lethaltriad wrote:
I was always more of a Star Wars fan than a Star Trek fan but this movie really looks like it appeals to everyone and not just the die hard star trek fans. The trailer really looks good so i'm definitely gonna watch this one as soon as I can. I've only heard good things about it.

As said before, I'd recommend this to non-Star Trek fans perhaps even more than to the fans. It's a great movie, period.
guissmo
Yeah. Star Trek is such an epic movie, with all its flashy special effects and great storyline.
Asis
it is realy great!!! i love every movie that has theme in space and combats like in star trek!
TomS
Really a great movie. I love Zachary Quinto (young Spock) the most in this movie.
love_her_freida_pinto
This Star Trek movie is pretty awesome and has great computer generated imagery. I'm not that much of a Star Trek fan but this film is excellent.
sciencegto
TomS wrote:
Really a great movie. I love Zachary Quinto (young Spock) the most in this movie.

I love Zachary Quinto too! Maybe because he played as my favorite character in Heroes. Laughing
Vladalf
It was interesting to see another take on the characters, beeing young and all but I personally prefer the older Star Trek movies. William Shatner is great.
Vlad
missdixy
Nutteloos wrote:
lethaltriad wrote:

As said before, I'd recommend this to non-Star Trek fans perhaps even more than to the fans. It's a great movie, period.

You've convinced me! The boyfriend will be happy to hear that I am willing to go see it with him this weekend Very Happy I'm sure he'd thank you
atul2242
I wonder where can I find a copy in India...
lethaltriad
I waited too long to catch it at the theaters Sad no longer showing in Jamaica, I'll have to wait for it to be available on dvd now
diabolical
I am so sad that they have done to Star Trek what they have done to so many of my other favorite things like Transformers and now Gi Joe.......do they have to ruin every movie they make now days???
Dean_The_Great
I posted earlier that I was looking forward to it, and now that I've seen it, I was blown away! It was a great movie and an excellent addition to the Star Trek franchise.