FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help Deleting endnote in word.

shkhanal
Hi,

Please help. It should not be that hard, but me fool! I could not.

There were lots of footnotes on almost every pages on a document. I converted all of them into endnote. Now I don't need any of those endnotes. I went to the endnote section and selected and pressed delete but it says it's not valid action. I checked all possible menu but did not find it anywhere. Footnote and endnote deleting options are nowhere. How to do it?
surdy
Yes you cannot delete an end note just by going on it and pressing delete.

To Delete an end note go to the corresponding reference mark in the page and delete it. This should remove the endnote corresponding to the reference mark.

Its not very intutive ...but a simple help search would have shown you the way.

Just in case you didn't get what i explained ..look here http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HP012265221033.aspx

or look for help on office.
shkhanal
Yes, after deleting the endnote reference endnote is deleted now. But there are hundreds of endnotes and deleting this way is going to take whole day for me. Is there not any other easier way out to delete all the endnotes at once?
surdy
Ohkies ..if there are too many of them it would be really cumbersome to delete all manually. But there is a one way out ,which works only for the automatically numbered endnotes , if they are manually numbered this trick won't work

Quote:
To delete all automatically numbered footnotes or endnotes, click Replace on the Edit menu. On the Replace tab, click More, click Special, and then click Endnote Mark or Footnote Mark. Make sure the Replace with box is empty, and then click Replace All. You cannot delete all custom footnote reference marks at one time.

(Quoted from Microsoft Word help)
shkhanal
Yes this works. It removed almost all of the endnotes. Only few referenced with special symbols were left. I could delete them. Thank you very much for the help.
surdy
No problem Very Happy
Great that it worked for you.