FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What attracts you to replying to a forum posting?

What age range are you in?
under 20
23%
 23%  [ 14 ]
20 - 40
38%
 38%  [ 23 ]
over 40
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Prefer to chat with similar age group
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Prefer to chat with younger age group
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Prefer to chat with older age group
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Happy to chat with any age group
23%
 23%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 59

geoveo
I'm new to this forum having found it by chance as is the way of the internet.

I'm interested to know the age range of contributors and if you prefer to chat with people around your own age, younger, older or you don't mind so long as it's a subject you/they have an opinion on.

Does someone's age have any bearing on how you consider or value their contributions?

By the way I'm in the last category, over 40.
psycosquirrel
I'm 20.

I prefer to talk to those older than me, but not too old in most cases. Generally within a decade of me is decent.

I have nothing against talking to those younger than me, as long as they bring rational discussion to the table. All too often I see kids flaming people on forums...
chatrack
I like simple topics that every one like to talk about. Also I Like forum that can give me more usefull information.
Fatality
I am 21 years old, I don't really have a preference as to what age range I talk/post to. I like to reply to topics that are of interest to me or that expand my knowledge. I also like to talk to people from all parts of the world as well as people in different areas of employment. The more you talk to people in different situations then your own, the more you learn and know.
standready
Like Fatality, I like to expand my knowledge. Diversity of age helps shed light on differences of time. Best way to hear how people from around the world see things.
jylan
This is a bit of a wierd question, first the thread starter asks what attracts me to a forum posting then he asks what age group I like chatting to Confused .

Anyway to answer the first question I usually like posting when I have something to add to the discussion, like the answer to a question or similar.

I don't mind what age group I chat too, although I prefer people my age (15) and older.
Diablosblizz
Doesn't really matter to me, although the chances of me meeting somebody older than me are pretty slim, and actually carrying a conversation with them. I'm 16, and I don't mind talking to anybody.
kerryworkman
[quote="geoveo"]Does someone's age have any bearing on how you consider or value their contributions?[quote]

For me it really does not matter what age the person making the post is. I reply to a post based on it's content, on the responses of others to the post, and if I have anything to add to the topic. I don't think that you can even tell the age of everyone on here, can you? You could try to determine it by the subject matter, or language used, but I don't think that you can always tell based on that. Maturity and writing style develop differently for different people, so how can you choose not to talk to someone based on age?
DoctorBeaver
Age is largely immaterial. Admittedly, older people have had longer to learn things and to develop their own opinions, but younger people can add fresh views and insights.

As for what makes me read threads - a number of things. I tend to read threads on subjects in which I have an interest; but as my interests are numerous, that leaves a lot of scope. When it comes to replying, I don't just reply for the hell of it or to boost my points. If I have nothing to add to a thread, I will say nothing.

Most commonly I reply to threads in the science and scripting forums. There are too many repetitive and inane threads in General so I don't visit this forum very often.
apple
I post mostly in relationships, cause I like that. Sometimes like now I post in general when something gets my attention.
sana618
well i don't know as i just joined will have to wait and see, maybe then i'll have a proper answer.
and as to your question, i like to talk to all, because i think ther is always something to learn from
people from all the age groups. Smile
hlavco
When posting on a forum, I usually like smaller, simpler forums. This forum has a whole ton of users and boards, so I don't like it that much. Since I don't stop by here too often, I tend to post in topics with interesting posts and few pages of discussion.

As for age groups, I'll chat with anyone as long as the conversation is interesting. I've been to forums where I was the youngest and boards where I was the oldest. Since the internet is so anonymous and nobody can see you, your age doesn't really make as much of a difference in real life, and it's easier to earn respect and be taken seriously as long as you can make intelligent conversation.
SpellcasterDX
I'm under 20 age group, and I don't mind what age group I'm talking to so long as they share similar interests with me, and as long as they're rational and friendly.
biljap
I am 25 years old and I like to post in General Chat forums, or forums regarding topics of my interest programming.
Arty
I'm 15 and I usually talk in this forum. Smile

I really don't care about the age group of the people I'm speaking to.
Mrs Lycos
I'm 14. And me too , i dont care too much about the age of the people more like the topic they are talking about. ^^
Zombie
I reply to a topic based on teh title and content of the message, not what the poster's age group is.
spring567
I will reply some simple posts because I don't good at English.
hamza1122
Well that's weird because you don't know the person's age so how do u know that you're talking with someone who's 40 and over. So you can't really tell. i voted for "people with similar age group" as i took it to mean people who are interested in the kind of things im into such as teenager stuff like XBOX and basketball and stuff.

But im happy to talk to any age group. Very Happy Very Happy
deanhills
I like all ages. I noticed for example (only because he mentioned it) we have someone who is under 14 years old contributing with passion, and I enjoy his contributions. Think it is the sincerity, integrity, passion, enjoyment, etc. that I am usually attracted to. As well as of course the subject matter. Although I am interested in most subjects and especially subjects I do not know much about. We have some very good people of all ages on Frihost whom I am learning from all the time.
carlospro7
I don't have a particular choice of age group. I'm fine talking to any member of any age group as long as they can present a rational and logical point of view.
Dean_The_Great
Generally I prefer to keep company with those older than myself. I'm 22 and rarely meet people my own age with whom I associate well. I'm not exactly sure why that is, but it is the case. Online, however, you get the advantage of choosing which posts you read, which you don't, and to which you spend time replying. That way you can absorb information from everyone in whatever doses you enjoy.
Prasad007
Under 20 - I'm 18 ! Very Happy
loyal
Peace. Hey y'all,

I'm under 20. I often chat or discuss religion with people. So while i was part of a christian forum, i mainly chatted to middle aged christian fundamentalists. But in frihost, loads of people are in their teens or twenties, so i guess i now chat to younger people. I don't mind who i chat with, as long as a conversation can flow.
mrcool
I am 29 years old...what attracts me to visit sometimes is that i can get new informations in which i haven't get from others....and mostly, i like it here and thats it...very informative and interesting one...
furtasacra
geoveo wrote:

I'm interested to know the age range of contributors and if you prefer to chat with people around your own age, younger, older or you don't mind so long as it's a subject you/they have an opinion on.

Does someone's age have any bearing on how you consider or value their contributions?

I don't know or care about the age of the person I'm responding to. Smart is smart, and stupid is stupid, no matter how old the person is. Thank goodness there seems to be an unusually high proportion of intelligent, thoughtful people on Frihost. That's why I've been here for years.
mwsupra
furtasacra wrote:
geoveo wrote:

I don't know or care about the age of the person I'm responding to. Smart is smart, and stupid is stupid, no matter how old the person is. Thank goodness there seems to be an unusually high proportion of intelligent, thoughtful people on Frihost. That's why I've been here for years.

I agree with that statement. Age doesn't concern me as long as the topic or poster isn't stupid.
mattyj
I dont mind what age the people im chatting with are, as long as we share common interests...i mean this is the internet afterall so who knows how old the person is you are talking to?
shkumbin
We have to don't we? To keep the points above ZERO so we don't get our account (web hosting) deleted!!!!
Helios
I like chatting with everybody!
I have an open mind. I don't care about somebody's age - older than me or younger. Plus, it's totally irrelevant online, because you don't have to reveal your age. Of course, I won't try to have a conversation with a six year old, but you got the idea.
In real life too, I can talk with whoever wants to talk with me. I don't judge people by age, race, looks etc

By the way, geoveo, if you want a moderator to fix your poll+post, feel free to ask any one of us.
tony
what did the poll have to do with the question? weird... i am attracted to a good title which catches my attention. and i like a good poll too, one which has something to do with the post title Wink jk Razz
Melacos
Well I kinda expect this forum to be of interest to me in a general sense, as it isn't in any obvious way focused on fx. children (that be in both layout and topics...). Instead what meets the eye is more or less adult people (in a very broad sense) discussing a wast amount of different things. So, I think of this forum as being something that fundamentally appeals to me in terms of age-groups, and when discriminating, it's purely on grounds of the specific posting, and if the topic interests me...
Moshkin_Khan
I generally prefer older people as there less likely to be little kids that flame and are usually annoying.
I'm 17, I dont really gender bias but you have too look at facts and the older demographic are usually nicer and better educated than the kids that come on to annoy people.
deanhills
I'm interested in everything. What attracts me specifically is someone who has taken trouble over their posting, genuinely seeks comment in a sincere way, and makes me think about their subject. I like to learn and not only about "brilliant" subjects, but about how people think, so am interested in almost all postings. The ones that I am not too crazy about are the ones that consist only of quotes. I prefer quotes to be accompanied by a detailed comment and explanation by the person who does the posting.
PatTheGreat42
Mostly ease of being able to reply to whatever they're talking about. I don't really come here for deep conversations. Not that y'all ain't deep. I apologize.
deanhills
PatTheGreat42 wrote:
Mostly ease of being able to reply to whatever they're talking about. I don't really come here for deep conversations. Not that y'all ain't deep. I apologize.

Think we get the drift. Well put! Smile
anaela
im 21 years of age and i like to chat with people around my age range. mostly because there is more in common.

but i'll talk about anything. to anyone.
la_Duchess
Usually the topic attracts me. If it's interesting I will check it out. I realize everything on here cannot possibly interest everyone. I'm glad that there is such a broad range of topics to choose from. So we may all have our say. So far I'm liking the site.
pho3nixsky
Below/Under 20. Still school, still studying, and still part-time working. My life atm is pretty packed and busy, and sometimes i have doubts about my lifestyle. But atm the main thing is to keep working and not to fail or get sacked.
jcvincent75
Early 20's.

What attracts me in replying on forums posts is when the thread or a post is interesting enough for me to share my thoughts/ ideas or opinions.

Peace.
stel4e
jcvincent75 wrote:

What attracts me in replying on forums posts is when the thread or a post is interesting enough for me to share my thoughts/ ideas or opinions.

Peace.

That goes for me too. And by the way I'm 25
pumpin
Will be 23 in two months time. I think i enjoy more of older group in discussions but, i dont discriminate anyone with good ideas whether young or old